Hattons and Farish

Started by Bob G, January 21, 2019, 12:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

Yes I'm certainly inclined to agree that saying Dapol aren't a manufacturer because they commission others to produce products to their specification is extremely pedantic (and not really pertinent to the discussion), but that's your prerogative.

I'm not sure I share the view of others that the likes of Hatton's encroaching on Bachmann's territory will cause them to up their game and deliver more products more quickly. I think it's more likely they'll just bow out of British N altogether, which would be a shame. There are already a number of models (and not just in N) they've said they won't reproduce due to cost (Seacows, OO gauge IPAs), and you have to think that given the price rises on other products that list may grow in future.

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on August 13, 2019, 12:03:44 PM
There are already a number of models (and not just in N) they've said they won't reproduce due to cost (Seacows, OO gauge IPAs), and you have to think that given the price rises on other products that list may grow in future.

And there are some which they haven't produced for years (e.g. Peaks in N gauge).

njee20

But is that expressly because they've said a re-run would cost too much?

That's the case with the Seacows and the IPAs.

Obviously there are hundreds of products they no longer produce.

davidinyork

Quote from: njee20 on August 13, 2019, 12:08:24 PM
But is that expressly because they've said a re-run would cost too much?

Don't know if they've said why - they did announce at least one a few years ago, then cancelled it. There's certainly a demand - although it was their last pre-DCC new model, it's still fairly good and nobody else has produced one.

Dr Al

Quote from: njee20 on August 13, 2019, 12:03:44 PM
I'm not sure I share the view of others that the likes of Hatton's encroaching on Bachmann's territory will cause them to up their game and deliver more products more quickly. I think it's more likely they'll just bow out of British N altogether, which would be a shame.

I'm not sure about that - was it not said not all that long ago that Farish sales were increasing and strong? Does Kader have any history of pulling ranges in any of their countries if not competitive?

Competition has upped Bachmann's quality and the standard of models - Dapol forced that in N, and I'm sure Hornby and others in OO for much longer. Delivery timing has been Bachmann's never ending weakness in N and OO, and nothing seems to have changed that. Moreover, where Hattons has so many trump cards are in retail, customer service and social media - all areas that Bachmann as a more traditional company seem to struggle or be weak.

Another interesting approach from Hattons is the volume of new release. The OO 66 is being released in no less than 34 different number/livery combinations, and that's not counting DCC fitted/ DCC sound versions. That's another completely different approach - Bachmann tend to do 3 or maybe 4 liveries and numbers and then don't re-run models for years after. I'll be interested to see how this approach works - and whether all will appear at once or will be staged in delivery. Of course, not all prototypes have that many variations available, but it's still a step change in the way of doing things.

All interesting times - and hopefully good for us, the consumer. Hattons certainly aren't starting easy with their first N Gauge model of a Garratt!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

exmouthcraig

Bachmann have said that the Seacows were too expensive to warrant another re run. I have been after Sealions in olive green for the last 5 years and contacted Bachmann direct.

Due to the cost of hand finishing, ie the handrails, cages and hand wheels needing to be fitted by hand they are now no longer cost effective to be produced

Was the jist of the reply I received and as such the cost of second hand sealions are now seriously high but Bachmann said that pricing them to cover cost would put them at over £45 a wagon which they believed no one would pay, however I have paid that for numerous secondhand.

Dr Al

Quote from: davidinyork on August 13, 2019, 12:10:34 PM
Don't know if they've said why - they did announce at least one a few years ago, then cancelled it. There's certainly a demand - although it was their last pre-DCC new model, it's still fairly good and nobody else has produced one.

I'd agree that it seems strange not to re-run these - there's definitely large demand for them if secondhand is anything to go by. They aren't perfect, and could be improved tooling, but are still a solid model.

But Bachmann aren't alone in making strange choices when it comes to re-runs - Dapol have never come back to the Voyager 221s - maybe a slightly older tooling compared to modern, but still very decent, and the demand again appears huge for them, inflating secondhand prices enormously.

I suspect it's all down to factory time - do they spend it on older models; or on new ones that are long lagging behind, something both N manufacturers (Dapol and Farish) are guilty of.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Newportnobby

To a certain extent the subject has drifted more to discussion about Bachmann/Farish than the original Hattons and Farish. As that has gone in circles with no facts emerging (and none likely to) I am locking the thread :locked:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £85.23
Below Goal: £14.77
Site Currency: GBP
85% 
April Donations