Dapol Dave is leaving

Started by StufromEGDL, July 24, 2013, 04:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StufromEGDL

Hi Gang;

Just announced on FB...
http://dapol.co.uk/index.php?route=information%2Fnews&news_id=47#.Ue_3m6xdBNF

Now that should generate some discussion!!!

Later;
STU from EGDL
A selection of my pictures, real & model ARE NOW to be found at...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swidnod/

I always find things in the last place I look. weird huh??

Calnefoxile

Mmmm did he jump or was he pushed??

Whilst I've always found him very personable, he can generate a lot of, erm how do I put it, differences of opinions, I think that's the best way to put it.

Regards

Neal.

GrahamB

I saw the announcement on Facebook. His departure is a massive loss to Dapol and I will be very sorry to see him go. While I wish him all the best for the future it would have been nice if he could have stayed on and said goodbye at TINGS.
Tonbridge MRC Member.
My Southwark Bridge thread can be found at https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38683.0
My Southwark Bridge website can be found at https://southwarkbridge.wixsite.com/ngauge

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Calnefoxile on July 24, 2013, 04:56:36 PM

Wonder if he's gone to Bachmann or Hornby or something like that!
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

H

Quote from: Calnefoxile on July 24, 2013, 04:56:36 PM

Or made an offer he couldn't refuse.

H.

porkie

:Class89:

My Layout build thread.... Milton grove TMD 1988 - 2000 WCML loosly based
www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=57.0

lionwing

Richard - Stop before the buffers!

Agrafarfan

Poor guy, I know how he feels being in front of all them customers although I shouldn't feel sorry for him. I wish him the best for the future. Good luck Dave.

mereman

Anyone else think Dapol will look closely at the name for the new man/woman. Dapol Cuthbert wouldn't have the same ring to it :D
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

Newportnobby

Quote from: mereman on July 24, 2013, 08:49:44 PM
Anyone else think Dapol will look closely at the name for the new man/woman. Dapol Cuthbert wouldn't have the same ring to it :D

Chirk Charlie would be OK :D

dr deltic

Its a sad day for DAPOL and particularly for N gauge.

Whilst his personality has sometimes polarised peoples opinions, he put a hell of a lot of time and effort into his role and the list of products we have now gives you some idea of the workload he has been responsible for.

I don't think for a minute that we have seen the last of Dave, but i imagine he will be glad for a rest!
He has been an excellent front man, Jo public is a bloody hard animal to please and has taken the flack but not always the credit for the quantum leap we have had in the last few years. It hasn't been without its problems, which are well documented across the net but hell we used to wait a whole Preston Guild before a new N gauge product was released, how short our memories can be sometimes.

I wish him well and it will be a hard act to follow. That said, the majority of stuff we all wanted we now have!

Griffo

I concur with Dr Deltic. Dave will be greatly missed by Dapol, I don't think his passion was fully recognised. Equally I don't think people realised how petty some of their comments and veiled abuse had become.

I tried to speak to him on several occaisions during the DEMU Showcase at Burton. On each visit he was being harangued over some minor detail in supply or fidelity to prototype and, standing back, I felt DJ considered he'd had quite enough. It comes as no surprise to me to learn that he is moving on, nor his comments about any replacement will require a thick skin.

I see that there may be some sort of announcement from Dave at TINGS regarding his future escapades and I for one will always look out for any project which has been influenced by Dave. Sadly, I suspect we may be be enjoying the heyday of Dapol in N Gauge and their positive influence on other producers. I hope to be proved wrong.

Good luck Dave, thanks for all the N Gauge!

Steve

RChook

+1 Dr Deltic

Sad news indeed, Dapol's loss.
I always thought that it was brave of Dave to put his head up above the parapet,
how many other manufs/companies do similar?

poor Dave's problem was -  only one of him and too many hounds at the gates. e pluribus unum.

Edit PS :
When I first came across "Dapol Dave" I thort it most likely a pseudo for a pr department, sadly it became clear that it was one guy with limited time & resources :(

Pete Mc

I too think that Dave leaving Dapol will be a massive loss to Dapol.It will be particularly difficult to employ someone with his knowledge and enthusiasm for model railways and the prototype.I believe that he may have been in his dream job and after having read his regular contributions on RMWeb,he is a true model railway enthusiast with a preference for n gauge.Only a few months ago he was saying that having seen Farish's new Deltic,he might have to buy a set of 22.Now thats not a model railway enthusiast is it?

Anyway,I have spoken to him a few times,the last time was at Wigan and always found him very personable,even after he was clearly starting to lose the will to live.

So i say good luck Dave,whatever and where ever you are moving to and don't forget that we appreciate your enduring us and our complaints.Heck,why not even become a member here?

Pete
:Class31: :Class37: :NGaugersRule:
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

B1 61126

Hello just been on ngauge yahoo and seen that Dave Jones is leaving Dapol at the end of august onto pastures new a lot of speculation as to his future just hope that he stays involved with ngauge as we have a lot to thank him for
Geoff

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations