Layout How finished are you?

Started by Fifer, September 18, 2011, 07:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fifer

I know all stages of layout construction are fun but I am just curious, if you were to rate your layout as TOTALLY FINISHED, where are you on a scale of 1 to 10?

Even though mine looks nearly complete there are many details to finish and tie up other projects on the layout.

Also maybe how many layouts have you actually TOTALLY FINISHED?
For me NONE. I have always started over before one is completed.

Mike
"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I wrote 'happy'.
They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life."
-- John Lennon

port perran

I have just one 6ft X 3ft Cornish Branch Line layout (plus fiddle yard). Started it approcx 21 months ago as a long term project. On a scale of 1-10 ptobably 6.5/10 complete.
It will be finished but as to whether I will be totally happy, who knows ??
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

Interesting thread, Mike. My last layout got to about stage 4 before I moved house - now I am back to 1 :(
From everything I've seen and heard, nobody has ever finished. I'm not sure I'd want to even get to TOTALLY FINISHED :)

tadpole

I'd say 3, but I don't think I've ever got past 4, so by my standards it's 75% finished.
Two rails good. Three better.

4x2

Quote from: Fifer on September 18, 2011, 07:26:41 PM
I know all stages of layout construction are fun but I am just curious, if you were to rate your layout as TOTALLY FINISHED, where are you on a scale of 1 to 10?

Even though mine looks nearly complete there are many details to finish and tie up other projects on the layout.

Mike

I'm useless... Got as far as a 4 i reckon, anyone else see a pattern here ?  ;D
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Alex

Mmmmm...good question. I was at stage 7 but I've just added and removed some parts so I guess I'm back to 4 or 5.

Alex

Fifer

Quote from: 4x2ybecauseican on September 18, 2011, 08:15:20 PM
Quote from: Fifer on September 18, 2011, 07:26:41 PM

Mike

I'm useless... Got as far as a 4 i reckon, anyone else see a pattern here ?  ;D

It is not the destination but the fun or the trip !!!
"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I wrote 'happy'.
They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life."
-- John Lennon

Sprintex

About 4 here, long way to go yet  ;)

However, I(we) will get it pretty much finished eventually. In my teens I totally finished at least two different layouts satisfactorily and I don't give up easily on things - even if it kills me! ;D

Paul

longbridge

I have built many layouts but never considered any of them as finished, personally I think you could keep improving layouts indefinitely. 
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Mustermark

I am about 2 years into a mammoth project that is probably about 2 on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is everything looks finished (scenery on all of it looking about done).  I think it will take 10 years to get to 10. :smiley-laughing:

In two years I have so far done the baseboard (1/10) and laid 90% the track (2/10).  Currently installing signals and sensors.  I think ballasting will take me a year or so!!! ::)

I reckon I will take about a year for each number on the scale, so another 8 years before I'm just tinkering with the cars and people.

I don't think I'll stop at 10/10 though... ;D I think there will always be detailing, weathering and changing of the scenery because that's the bit I enjoy and want to spend the next 30 years or so doing.  :thumbsup:

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

poliss

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that it may incriminate me.  :-X

Newportnobby

I always find that everything comes to a halt as soon as I have trains running ::) If I could only teach myself that trains will NOT RUN until the layout gets to maybe 7 or 8, things would be hugely different but I just can't, 'cos things have got to be tested........haven't they??? :-\

longbridge

Quote from: Mustermark on September 18, 2011, 11:55:51 PM
I am about 2 years into a mammoth project that is probably about 2 on a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is everything looks finished (scenery on all of it looking about done).  I think it will take 10 years to get to 10. :smiley-laughing:

In two years I have so far done the baseboard (1/10) and laid 90% the track (2/10).  Currently installing signals and sensors.  I think ballasting will take me a year or so!!! ::)

I reckon I will take about a year for each number on the scale, so another 8 years before I'm just tinkering with the cars and people.

I don't think I'll stop at 10/10 though... ;D I think there will always be detailing, weathering and changing of the scenery because that's the bit I enjoy and want to spend the next 30 years or so doing.  :thumbsup:

;D Sounds like a great reason to invite a few friends over for a working bee. ;)
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Bikeracer

My first and current layout was made as I went along without much thought other than to lay some track to run trains round,big mistake. I'm now trying to fit scenery to what space is available.

I'm busy making card buildings at the moment and I'm gaining experience as I go,which means I'm consigning most first attempts to the waste paper basket  :(
At least with the Scalescenes series I can just print another one out.

Once I've finished getting most of the scenery done my intention is to pull it all up and start again with a properly planned layout,probably early next year.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

4x2

Quote from: newportnobby on September 19, 2011, 03:17:00 AM
I always find that everything comes to a halt as soon as I have trains running ::) If I could only teach myself that trains will NOT RUN until the layout gets to maybe 7 or 8, things would be hugely different but I just can't, 'cos things have got to be tested........haven't they??? :-\
We should invent a name for this problem, I've got this problem - really bad ! :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations