Layout How finished are you?

Started by Fifer, September 18, 2011, 07:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Quote from: 4x2ybecauseican on September 19, 2011, 09:26:40 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on September 19, 2011, 03:17:00 AM
I always find that everything comes to a halt as soon as I have trains running ::) If I could only teach myself that trains will NOT RUN until the layout gets to maybe 7 or 8, things would be hugely different but I just can't, 'cos things have got to be tested........haven't they??? :-\
We should invent a name for this problem, I've got this problem - really bad ! :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

How about POTS syndrome (Putting Off The Scenery)? ::)

MikeDunn

I was gonna say 2, but given Mustermark's criteria maybe only 0.75 !!!  :o

I know the design; have the board ready; and intend this Winter to get the hard landscaping & track in place ...

4x2

Quote from: newportnobby on September 19, 2011, 09:38:08 AM
Quote from: 4x2ybecauseican on September 19, 2011, 09:26:40 AM
Quote from: newportnobby on September 19, 2011, 03:17:00 AM
I always find that everything comes to a halt as soon as I have trains running ::) If I could only teach myself that trains will NOT RUN until the layout gets to maybe 7 or 8, things would be hugely different but I just can't, 'cos things have got to be tested........haven't they??? :-\
We should invent a name for this problem, I've got this problem - really bad ! :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

How about POTS syndrome (Putting Off The Scenery)? ::)
TRAIN - Testing Rigorously Although It's New  syndrome ! ;D
If it's got rails... you have my full, undivided attention - Steam, diesel and electric, 'tis all good !

Mike

Lawrence

On a scale of 1 to 10, -1  :(  but my sparky mate has promised he will come round this week (again!)

galway

I was at 2 going on the previous replies, however, have stopped this layout (now test track) in favour of larger one in purpose built shed (yet to be built).

I have electric's run to site of shed, must be worth 0.25, hard standing done another 0.1 and because will be at least another month for shed build, have been purchasing items for the layout - track, points, ballast, buildings, more rolling stock, vehicles etc etc (SWMBO is fed up signing for packages  :smiley-laughing:), worth another 0.2.

I've also planned my layout, because I want to concentrate on landscape this has been the priority, and I will lay the track where there is space (I know thats somewhat backward but its the scene I want with the railway as part of it), another 0.15.

Now if my maths is correct that adds up to 9 out of 10 and not a baseboard constructed  :smiley-laughing:

Regards
Paul
Is féidir tú a choinneáil ar eascainí an madra nó is féidir a lasadh coinneal duit

EtchedPixels

about 5 on a take on Wadebridge in modern image and a 1 on the Snow Hill project the other side (Wadebridge sits in front of the fiddle yard). Just scraping a 1 on the grounds I assembled the baseboards yesterday. Some minor problems with an overwide piece of framing,  and a couple of joints no longer fitting after varnishing the wood but those were resolved by the contractors to the railway Messers Stanley Jetcut, File, and Mallet.

First batch of tracklaying next, hopefully get the main lines laid in the next couple of weeks and then it may have to wait until Christmas to buy the extra points for the bay platforms and stabling.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Mustermark

Quote from: MikeDunn on September 19, 2011, 09:38:49 AM
I was gonna say 2, but given Mustermark's criteria maybe only 0.75 !!!  :o

I know the design; have the board ready; and intend this Winter to get the hard landscaping & track in place ...

Don't go by my ratings!  I bet you finish yours first... I have about 300ft of track to ballast and then the whole of Reading town centre to scratchbuild!  The actual track is probably the quick bit for me! :smiley-laughing:

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Newportnobby

Quote from: galway on September 19, 2011, 08:50:35 PM
(SWMBO is fed up signing for packages  :smiley-laughing:), worth another 0.2.

Is that a good idea? That way SWMBO knows exactly how much stuff you're purchasing ???
Should minus points be applied in such circumstances, in which case following Owl's purchase at TINGS he's never going to to get to any + figure :smiley-laughing:

galway

Quote from: newportnobby on September 20, 2011, 06:46:24 PM

Is that a good idea? That way SWMBO knows exactly how much stuff you're purchasing ???
Should minus points be applied in such circumstances, in which case following Owl's purchase at TINGS he's never going to to get to any + figure :smiley-laughing:

I'm not worried yet, wait 'til she finds out its all on her credit card!
Is féidir tú a choinneáil ar eascainí an madra nó is féidir a lasadh coinneal duit

Newportnobby

Quote from: galway on September 20, 2011, 07:03:11 PM
Quote from: newportnobby on September 20, 2011, 06:46:24 PM
I'm not worried yet, wait 'til she finds out its all on her credit card!
:smiley-laughing: :smiley-laughing:

MikeDunn

Quote from: Mustermark on September 20, 2011, 12:06:38 AM
Don't go by my ratings!  I bet you finish yours first... I have about 300ft of track
Well ... this layout of mine's a 2x4 board !!!  You may be right but I won't put money on it  :smiley-laughing:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations