Reply notification email - missing text

Started by Danny252, December 17, 2022, 06:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny252

The thread reply notification emails the forum can send appear to be missing some text interpolation:

QuoteA reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by PaulCheffus.

View the reply at: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=58338.new;topicseen#new

The text of the reply is shown below: {MESSAGE}

Unsubscribe to this topic by using this link: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=notify;topic=58338.0

More replies may be posted, but you won't receive any more notifications until you read the topic.

The placeholder `{MESSAGE}` isn't getting processed before the email is sent. It's done this ever since I've used the forum - not a recent breakage!

Tank

Thanks for letting me know.

Is anyone else having this else, please?

dannyboy

I have not had this problem, the email always seems to quote the message.

One thing I would like to ask, on a vaguely similar theme, is that sometimes I get notified that a reply has been posted by, (whoever), whilst at other times, a reply has been posted by 'Notification'. There seems to be no pattern. Of the last three email notifications regarding the 'Donations' thread, one was from 'Notification', one from 'Steve Walker' and one from 'Tank'. It is not a problem, just interesting.  :hmmm:

(Google Chrome on Win11)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

PLD

As far as I can work it out, it says reply posted by "Notification" when someone is tagged in the post such as @dannyboy  ;)

dannyboy

@PLD
You may be on to something! The last couple of emails from 'Notification' I have received do indeed, have somebody tagged in the message.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

stevewalker

I don't remember ever seeing the text of a message in the reply notification email.

PLD

Under your Profile>>Notifications there is a tick-box for: "When sending notification of a reply to a topic, send the post in the email". I'd guess you have that unticked if you don't see anything. Not sure if that explains the OP seeing a placeholder instead of the actual post text...

Danny252

Well, it turns out I've got that turned off - presumably as a default or decision from long, long ago!

Sounds like the issue is that the placeholder is being included when that's off, rather than omitted entirely.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations