How prototypical are you?

Started by scottmitchell74, January 25, 2014, 06:39:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobB

I'm trying to depict the B R blue era after Tops. I've taken the decision to try and run with Tops numbering especially on the locomotives but retaining (supposedly) meaningful head-codes. Having said that, I have blue-grey (refurbished) dmu's and will probably get a Hymek with a false 35nnn number just because I like 'em ! About the closest year that might allow all of this is 1976 but in truth, the Hymeks were gone, headcodes that displayed numbers and letters were probably unrelated to the train they were pulling and there were just one or two refurbished dmu's in service.

I know that If I displayed a layout with these discrepancies in the UK a few people would very quickly point out the mistakes but I'm down here in South Africa so very few people either know or care. Happy days, now where is that rule book again......

thebrighton

My layout is Horeham Road and Waldron as it was in the late 1890's so has a mix of appropriate LBSCR stock. However initially the line was to have to joint running powers with the SECR which ever happened but as I have appropriate stock in the model world the SECR did take up joint running powers.
Despite this it isn't unknown for 3rd rail EMUs to pass through, the GER has gained some running powers, numerous BR steamers appear, the line did survive to see NSE liveries and a Blue Pullman regularly hurtles past!
Gareth

Greybeema

Well, I model a real location on the contempory scene BUT to keep the operational interest - I reinstated a Cement works that has been demolished (Crossrail now use the site) and stopped using the rail link in the 90's.

I run a Class 465 EMU in contemporary livery but I also run an unrefurbished 4 CEP in Blue Grey livery (Heritage tour of course).

A Malcolm logistics liveried Class 66 which was taken out of service in 2004 and anyway never ran on the North Lent line. 

A Freightliner 66613 on the Cement working (which Freightliner we're not contracted to).  Using both PCAs & JPAs.

GBRF run the Intermodal to Thamesport (I think Freighliner do really).

When my chipped Class 73 arrives back from Wickness Models it will be used on Autoballaster workings from Hoo junction but only after a repaint which would put it in the wrong pool for this working but it's an easy repaint…

So in terms of prototypical - close but no cigar…. Well not even close really…
:Class414:
Worlds Greatest Suburban Electric - Southern
(Sparky Arcy 3rd Rail Electrickery Traction)

My Layout on NGauge Forum:- http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=12592.msg154278#msg154278

bees

My layout is based somewhere in the North West, fictitious location. I do want to model a realistic location one day, an easy one would be Gorton Station, or, to give myself a bit of a challenge, the plans are drawn up, Manchester Oxford Rd Station

My rolling stock spans an era from 1976 to 1990ish, rule 1 does allow me to run my 156 and 123 at the same time  :D , albeit, I do try and stick to realistic rakes though.

:NGF:

Steven
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

willike1958

My preference is for fictitious locations in a defined part of the country during a certain time period. I try to run  the locomotive types that fit the chosen area and time period, and train formations that in length and composition are a fair reflection of reality. Last but not least, I try to operate the layout as realistically as possible. I'm probably (ok, I am) a bit of a stickler and if I were to compromise on anything it would be allowing 'foreign' locomotives to stray into my chosen area, which in reality did of course happen. 

geoffc

Having never modeled in n gauge before I decided to construct a twin track oval with storage sidings on one side and a scenic section on the other. Not being very good at building structures, I decided to model a cutting with a grass bank, a hedge and a few trees with the line disappearing into a tunnel at each end, imitating the full size railway which runs more in the countryside than in built up areas.

Having no lineside details this layout could be almost anywhere, any time. For convenience I have set it somewhere between Bristol Parkway Station and Westerleigh Junction on the main Paddington-South Wales line. The time is the present day and I try to run it prototypical, as my house overlooks the line I only have to look out of the window to see what I should or should not run.

For passenger stock I run FGW and Cross Country HST's, the former awaiting Dapols' TGS to be an 8 car set, the latter is a prototypical 7 car set plus a FGW 153 and a XC Voyager.

For Freight I run EWS, F/Liner and GBRf 66's on coal, container and Biomass trains, although the latter is not strictly correct as there are no covers on the hoppers. A DBS 60 on the Theale-Robeston empty tanks but branded Texaco and not Murco and two DRS class 20's on the Bridgewater-Crewe flask train.

The layout is 6ft by 2.5ft so I am limited to running 10 wagons and not the 20 normally in the coal and biomass consists also this meant I had to take a spur off the outer track to a storage yard on a separate board to stable the trains as the longest siding inside the loop is only long enough for the 4 car Voyager.

There are several other regular trains that could be ran; stone, steel, cars, cargowagons, a Colas coal train, plus special workings and the DRS loco variation on the flasks using 37's 57's and 66's but space and money preclude these for the foreseeable future. So there is enough variation of locos and livery to make it interesting and I can just sit there and watch the trains go by.

One thing that I have learnt is that modern era n gauge needs space and deep pockets if you intend to run prototypical freight trains. An EWS class 66 coal train with 20 HTAs would cost nearly £550 at new discounted prices and is about 9ft long.

Geoff

Newportnobby

Quote from: ParkeNd on January 26, 2014, 09:33:21 AM
There are quite clearly levels of approach to the hobby here that would fit the classic normal distribution curve. Even in this small sample of replies there are approaches bordering on almost boring rigidity at one extreme, and flights of fancy bordering on eccentricity at the other end.

But what do the classic 80% in the middle portion do?  How close to the rivet counters do we get? Or as I suspect do we just enjoy ourselves to the level we can afford?  I suspect that for the absolute purists it is a very slow hobby

I think we are in grave danger of forgetting that regardless of whether we are boringly rigid, eccentric, 'rivet counter' or purist..........we are all of us playing trains, mostly trying to model what we remember from our youth (without using a broad brushstroke)

ParkeNd

Quote from: newportnobby on January 26, 2014, 04:43:26 PM
Quote from: ParkeNd on January 26, 2014, 09:33:21 AM
There are quite clearly levels of approach to the hobby here that would fit the classic normal distribution curve. Even in this small sample of replies there are approaches bordering on almost boring rigidity at one extreme, and flights of fancy bordering on eccentricity at the other end.

But what do the classic 80% in the middle portion do?  How close to the rivet counters do we get? Or as I suspect do we just enjoy ourselves to the level we can afford?  I suspect that for the absolute purists it is a very slow hobby

I think we are in grave danger of forgetting that regardless of whether we are boringly rigid, eccentric, 'rivet counter' or purist..........we are all of us playing trains, mostly trying to model what we remember from our youth (without using a broad brushstroke)

I think Mick we are singing from the same hymn sheet - I said "Or as I suspect do we just enjoy ourselves to the level we can afford?"

Komata

Ok, I'll bite . . .

Pengi: can you explain your comment : 'Stating the obvious, if you are running 1:148 then that is not prototypical'

Thanks.
"TVR - Serving the Northern Taranaki . . . "

Les1952

Quote from: Komata on January 26, 2014, 05:45:43 PM
Ok, I'll bite . . .

Pengi: can you explain your comment : 'Stating the obvious, if you are running 1:148 then that is not prototypical'

Thanks.

I suspect he is referring to the fact that standard gauge is 1435mm, whereas 9 times 148 gives 1332mm, or about 4 feet 4 inches gauge in old money..

Something that most of us ignore- together with the fact that a prototypical roundy-roundy main line in N might just about fit comfortably into the average sports hall-....

Personally I don't care.  I ignore the narrow gauge and hide the worst excesses of my sharp corners.

Having said that, if modelling 1:150 (Japanese N) are you modelling Standard gauge on track that is too narrow or Japanese 1067mm gauge on track that is too wide- either way, who cares if YOU don't.

All the very best
Les

johnlambert

I know there are certain things wrong with my layout, particularly the "trainset" points and lack of signals.  But I try to run trains that are plausible for a 1960s Western region line in the Midlands.  So plenty of ex-GWR locos and rolling stock plus other classes if I know they were fairly widely travelled.  I've not got as far as renumbering to match the locos assigned to local sheds but I may do so in the future.

I also try to be prototypical in how I drive trains.  Where possible stopping short before buffering up to stock for coupling and trying to accelerate and decelerate gently.

It isn't stuff I ever saw happening for real and, above all, I am just playing with trains and wouldn't ever pretend otherwise.  If I didn't enjoy running trains I wouldn't do it.

PostModN66

Quote from: newportnobby on January 26, 2014, 04:43:26 PM

Yes - I am modelling what I remember from my youth....2007.  I was 45.   I didn't realise at the time how young I was!

Cheers  Jon  :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Matt1974

Often it seems to me the real railway is not prototypical. I saw a green class 47 in Bristol the other day and a blue class 20 somewhere else - maybe Peterborough. Countless other examples.  :no:

Chris in Prague

Quote from: willike1958 on January 26, 2014, 03:15:13 PM
My preference is for fictitious locations in a defined part of the country during a certain time period. I try to run  the locomotive types that fit the chosen area and time period, and train formations that in length and composition are a fair reflection of reality. Last but not least, I try to operate the layout as realistically as possible. I'm probably (ok, I am) a bit of a stickler and if I were to compromise on anything it would be allowing 'foreign' locomotives to stray into my chosen area, which in reality did of course happen.

EXACTLY what I'm planning to do with Cant Cove and Penmayne, fictional stations on an imaginary line that runs from Wadebridge on the other side of the River Camel to Penmayne (opposite Padstow and a real place but MUCH smaller and with a  very different history) via the passing loop station of Cant Cove (a real place). However, the WR invested in the line from Bodmin - Wadebridge - Penmayne when it took over from the SR and Penmayne had always been a joint station from LSWR / GWR days . . . I model 1961 - 1969 with appropriate working timetables based on augmented versions of Padstow's.

weave

Hi all,

Try to be with poetic licence.

My french/spanish border layout (due to space, well under the bed now so not a lot of space) is now a fictional principality jutting out into the Med operated by both the SNCF and RENFE.

Don't care about the gauge difference to view although they each have their own tracks to keep it real.

Was set in the 80's/ early 90's and the french stuff is pretty much right era and location but the spanish stuff is a bit all over the place. Two locos never been north of Madrid, one never been 50 miles from Valencia and my latest purchase think didn't come into service until 2005 but could not resist.

RULE UNO!

Compromise really. However wouldn't have the Flying Scotsman towing a rake 2014 German open goods wagons with dinosaurs called Thomas.  :D Saying that, my sister gave me a bottle of very strong spirit for Christmas so you never know!  :beers:

Cheers weave

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations