Show your Latest GB Loco and Rolling Stock Purchase.

Started by longbridge, June 30, 2012, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railsquid

Quote from: railsquid on February 13, 2015, 03:01:04 PM
Not quite sure why I bought this, but it was going cheap and you never know when you might need a Lima MK1 coach urgently.

Ah, I know why I needed it... To stop me falling prey to the temptation of acquiring bucketfuls of Lima Mk1 coaches on Ebay.

This little chappie doesn't look too bad by itself, but attached to a rake of recent Farish Mk1s it looks like that runty kid no-one likes but always tags along anyway.

jivebunny

The Lima Mk1 isn't that bad if you use it as Lima's design team presumably intended it to be used :D

JB

railsquid

Quote from: jivebunny on February 16, 2015, 02:57:14 PM
The Lima Mk1 isn't that bad if you use it as Lima's design team presumably intended it to be used :D

JB

Ah yes, will come in handy for my post-apocalyptic zombie layout :D

Newportnobby

Quote from: railsquid on February 16, 2015, 03:04:52 PM
Quote from: jivebunny on February 16, 2015, 02:57:14 PM

JB

Ah yes, will come in handy for my post-apocalyptic zombie layout :D

Mad Max beyond the Thunderbox?

Dave Z

Couple of packages arrived for me today;

DRS 37 to haul my EMT carriages or whatever else is in need of a tow.  Plus;

They're a bit Marmite but I think they look great.  Not sure if it's well known but Freightliner sell these on their own website for £80 delivered which seems to be at least £20 less than other places (Hattons would be £110 with delivery).  Also have class 66 on there for £70 delivered which seems pretty good.

Finally;

To help prevent violence at the office  ;D

mr magnolia

Family trip down to that London, and finally managed to find my way to the Wheels of Steel shop.
Took a little bit of finding! Hadn't realised that's its actually a stall inside the Gray's antique centre.

I was severely tempted by a bunch of Atlas SD40s that were going for £48 each, but luckily they are far too big for my layout.

I ended up getting a selection of three USA and euro Wagon's for the princely sum of £25, reduced to £23 at the hand over of cash.
Here they are in a Regent St Pret a Manger as the family scoff around them.
You can read scoff any way you want - they will all be correct!

Cheers
Donald

Railwaygun

Wheels of Steel is the last shop in C London now for N gauge.

always worth dropping in on the off chance of finding a lonely little loco...
Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
Ecclesiastes 2:11

This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!

https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

NGF Military threads

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?board=146.0

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

10mm / N armour Threads
https://www.10mm-wargaming.com/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

glenng

Just arrived from the NGS shop my preserved LMS inspection saloon well happy with it.

[smg id=21789 type=preview align=center caption="IMG 0010"]

[smg id=21791 type=preview align=center caption="IMG 0014"]

railsquid

Quote from: Arrachogaidh on February 19, 2015, 11:41:49 AM
I used to go to a shop at Angel Islington, Victor's I think. Also there was a shop near Marylebone. Don't know if they are still in existence though. :hmmm:
This thread seems to have established that there are just three places in central-ish London selling any kind of N-gauge: the aforementioned Wheels of Steel (which is a bit hit-and-miss; there was no British outline stuff in N the day I went there); Ian Allan bookshop at Waterloo (which had enough to kickstart my BR Blue collection) and one other shop somewhere south of the river I didn't make it too. Everywhere else seems to have gone.

mr magnolia

The guy at the stall said he thought he was the only model rail shop in London apart from hamleys, and they don't stock any n gauge.
quite startling, really.
oh, and thanks for the thread you note above, squid San, it was that thread that triggered my quest for both free time and geographic location of the WoS shop!
Donald

Hailstone

Quote from: railsquid on February 19, 2015, 02:28:15 PM
Quote from: Arrachogaidh on February 19, 2015, 11:41:49 AM
I used to go to a shop at Angel Islington, Victor's I think. Also there was a shop near Marylebone. Don't know if they are still in existence though. :hmmm:
This thread seems to have established that there are just three places in central-ish London selling any kind of N-gauge: the aforementioned Wheels of Steel (which is a bit hit-and-miss; there was no British outline stuff in N the day I went there); Ian Allan bookshop at Waterloo (which had enough to kickstart my BR Blue collection) and one other shop somewhere south of the river I didn't make it too. Everywhere else seems to have gone.
It is Jane's trains in Tooting: http://www.janestrains.co.uk/ I have been there a couple of times and found them to be friendly and helpful

Regards,

Alex

CarriageShed

If we're straying as far afield as Tooting, then I should also mention the Engine Shed in my former stomping ground of Leytonstone: 745 High Road Leytonstone, London E11 4QS.

red_death

Unfortunately the Engine Shed closed recently.

Jane's Trains is just round the corner from me and is always worth a root around when I pass. It is a bit hit and miss for new products (but I'm sure they would get and put aside something for you if you were after something in particular).

Cheers, Mike

CliveH

[smg id=21808 type=preview align=center caption="Dapol M7"]
Ordered late Wednesday - arrived before lunch Friday - standard RM delivery!
Ran well straight out of the box, but ran it light for a good 30 minutes before making it work. With a heavy hand on the controller will accelerate very rapidly and run at a ridiculously high speed, but with a gentle touch can pull away and run more than slowly enough. Not high on the haulage ability scale. However, more than copes with the 3 Bachmann Bullieds I want it to pull, and I think it looks pretty good. Next job, change of number.

Gyppy101

picked up ta couple of nuclear flask wagons  for less than £15.00 each in what was once Allders of Croydon (ex Modelzone)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations