Back after 35 years!

Started by nf3996, December 09, 2010, 04:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crompton Power, geoffc, Bob Tidbury, Rabbitaway, Stevie DC and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

nf3996

I'm a new member on this Forum and I've recently 'rediscovered' railway modelling.

As a child in the 1960s, my first model railway (or train set) was a Lone Star Treble-0-Lectric goods set. My father set that up for me on four plastic landscape bases that incorporated several tunnels and bridges and provided many hours of non-stop running. By the time I was a teenager, I'd progressed to genuine N gauge models and I was reading Railway Modeller and Model Railway Constructor. I was also a regular customer at my local model railway shop, 'Pages of Barkingside' (now long gone, but I still remember its model railway in the window, powered by putting a coin in a slot). Then other pursuits took over, but I retained an interest in railways generally and I somehow managed to hang onto a few of my old Lone Star items.

Life is now repeating itself. A few years ago, in a fit of nostalgia, I bought a mint Treble-0-Lectric set and a controller on eBay, which I've run successfully, if jerkily. I've lately started buying a few more recent N gauge products, and I'm now planning a simple layout set in East Anglia in the 1950s/1960s (something long and thin, although I haven't yet decided where I'm going to put it). I've taken out a subscription to Model Rail, I've joined the N Gauge Society, and I've made my first visit to my 'new' local model railway shop, 'The Engine Shed' in Leytonstone.

Where will this all end, I wonder?

Alan

Lawrence

Aye, a sure sign you're getting old Alan, like the rest of us  ;D  The forum certainly seems friendly enough, and I'm sure that, as it grows, it will be a great source of information and resources for all of us.

NGF Staff

Welcome to the forum! :NGAUGE:  Any plans for a layout?
Account used for maintenance only.  Contact Tank or other forum staff if you have any problems.  Thank you.

jonclox

Welcome back to the hobby and fun.
Ive only been back a while but enjoying what I get up to these days.
Its nice to have somewhere where you can seek advice from other kindred members
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP