Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve836

Quote from: Newportnobby on September 24, 2020, 09:29:47 AM
Great news, Steve.

Quote from: stevewalker on September 23, 2020, 10:48:14 PM
Tric and I's birthday/anniversary meal/drinks/overnight stay in the hotel is still on. The bar shutting at 10pm is not good, but we'll cope  :D

I guess you'll have to find something else to do after the bar closes. Maybe take a board game with you..................or not ;)

The bar must be closed and empty by 10 so they will finish serving before then. The board game or kit would best be left behind to give you something to do when you get back. :beers: perhaps a few beers in the fridge
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

BarryH

Why do people who have purchased a musical instrument think that ownership gives them the right to inflict the so called music they generate upon others.
My wife and I enjoy bush camping for the serenity. Quite often there are people, notably guitar owners who insist on disturbing the peace. (Note that I didn't call them musicians).

stevewalker

Years ago I regularly used to see a guy, in a kilt, practicing on his bagpipes, while walking up and down the central reservation of a dual-carriageway.

Trainfish

Last year we saw a guy playing the bagpipes on Westminster Bridge in that London. He had a cap or something in front asking for donations so he could afford to see his daughter if I remember correctly. An hour later we saw him supping pints in the Red Lion in Parliament Street. At £6.85 a pint we decided we wouldn't put anything in his cap.
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

dannyboy

Now that I have calmed down a bit, I have decided the 'Unhappy' thread will do for this post. I had a dentists appointment for a check up in April, but because of Covid, it was postponed. I received a text last month saying they were taking appointments again, so, as I had a bit of a 'twinge' last week, I telephoned and made an appointment for next Thursday. As is the usual practice, I received a text today asking me to text 'Yes' or 'No' just to confirm. BUT, added to the text was the fact that there would be a €10 surcharge. As the Government is not providing dentists here, (apparently), with PPE, the dental practice is making the surcharge to help cover the extra PPE and disinfecting regime etc. As I am still getting the occasional 'twinge', I will keep my appointment. I will however insist that a couple of Euro be deducted from the €10 surcharge, as the text message also adds that I have to wear a mask - so they can pay for it! I have not heard of one other business in Ireland, (or elsewhere for that matter), that is asking customers to pay for the extra costs incurred due to Covid.  >:(. (On reflection, maybe this should have gone in the 'Angry' thread).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Calnefoxile

David,

This is the same with my Dentist in Blighty, but only for Private patients, not NHS Ones.

Cheers

Neal.

dannyboy

Neal.
There is no NHS as such in Ireland. A 'Medical Card'  is available to people with low earnings, which gives mostly free treatment, (or at least a free visit to the Doctor), but (un)fortunately, Louisa's wage plus my pensions means I am not entitled to one. Things will change when I hit 70 next year, but I will have to study the figures as it is all earnings related.   :confused1:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

guest311

Quote from: Trainfish on October 01, 2020, 03:10:33 AM
Last year we saw a guy playing the bagpipes on Westminster Bridge in that London. He had a cap or something in front asking for donations so he could afford to see his daughter if I remember correctly. An hour later we saw him supping pints in the Red Lion in Parliament Street. At £6.85 a pint we decided we wouldn't put anything in his cap.

perhaps his daughter was the barmaid ?  :hmmm:

Trainfish

You may well be right but he was the only one in the pub wearing a skirt. Honest  :no:
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

stevewalker

In August we returned from a week on a narrowboat, to find that the RCD had tripped and we'd lost all the food in the fridge and freezer.

Since then we have replaced the RCD and the MCBs that it was protecting, with RCBOs, so as to split up the drain though all of the filters on equipment in our house. So far, so good, no more trips - but the fridge/freezer itself failed last night and we have lost the whole lot again ... we'd just had a delivery during the day too!

Snowwolflair

Sounds like the trip was a warning that the fridge was failing.  Hope you were insured.

themadhippy

keep the freezer door shut and you should be fine for  12hours,more if the freezer is rammed full
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

stevewalker

We know the cause of the trips - too many electronic items with mains filters that (by design) leak to earth and the whole house being on a single RCD, so it being permanently on the verge of tripping. The fridge-freezer itself is running quite happily, but not getting the fridge or freezer below 9°C and not bothering to put the warning lights on either.

stevewalker

Quote from: themadhippy on October 06, 2020, 03:35:44 PM
keep the freezer door shut and you should be fine for  12hours,more if the freezer is rammed full

Unfortunately, although it is actually running (just failing to cool), the warning lights and sounder have not come on - so the first we knew of it was when we found the food in the freezer already defrosted.

Snowwolflair

I keep three freezers, two small and one larger, the oldest being nearly 15 years old but works fine.  One is always filled with that years fruit picking so if one goes it will all be  moved around and my wife will spend three days making jam.  :D

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations