Unknown model and manufacturer

Started by Sharkey51, March 15, 2024, 05:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sharkey51

1.  Can anyone identify the manufacturer of this carriage? I have had four of them for at least 30 years. There are no names, logos or markings on the models to indicate which manufacturer made them.
The lead weights on the chassis were placed there by me. Otherwise they would be very lightweight models. The corridor connections are my additions, too
2.  Also, any ideas of what coach type is being modelled here?

Bealman

Judging by the U bend coupling, I'd say early Farish.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Roy L S

Graham Farish corridor coaches of their early generic design originating from 1970 approx, the droopy couplings and plastic wheels make them fairly early. They were made carrying the liveries of the "Big Four" railway companies plus some oddities like Caledonian plus BR carmine and cream as here. They continued to be made with updated couplings and metal wheels into the 90s and Bachmann takeover except for the BR livery which was dropped when their MK1s came along in the early 80s.

Wrinkly1

It looks like some corridor connectors have been added. (They didn't come with the model originally)

Bealman

The OP added them (see original post).
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bob Tidbury

I agree very early Grafar They came in Blue and Yellow boxes with White moulded plastic inserts and some had a clear plastic front to the box .
I have still got some of the coaches but the boxes have long gone ,ashame as they would be collectors items .
Bob

ntpntpntp

Yup old 1970s Grafar with U-bend couplings.  I had some in maroon. The wheels have been replaced.

Models from the tooling are in the 1973 catalogue
https://www.ness-st.co.uk/pdf/Graham_Farish_1973.pdf

Not sure when the blood 'n' custard version  was introduced?  A later version with metal wheels and those horrid undercut couplings are in the 1980 catalogue.

https://www.ness-st.co.uk/pdf/Farish%201980%20Catalogue.pdf

Yes the light weight could be a problem in those old coaches.  As a youngster I used to stuff the underframe with plasticene and paint everything black:)  I think I've still got some sad remnants in the bottom of a box somewhere.

[edit]
Found one of mine!  Still in pretty good condition after getting on for 50 years. It's older than the OP's models as mine has screws for the bogies rather than plastic pins. Still got the original wheels and evidence of some mods I made as a kid: remains of plasticene underneath, frames and bogies painted in track colour, and you can see I cut away just a little of the frame to allow the bogies to swivel a little more.  I think I had some pretty severe curves in those days!

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Newportnobby

Further to earlier answers the Farish coaches with running number M5801 were reference 0625.
Just the one coach in carmine & cream

msr

I bought a rake of four from RoS ten years or so ago which had the underframes painted in brown to create a weathered effect. The brake had a Cat.No.0635.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations