NGS bogies.

Started by emjaybee, May 23, 2019, 10:13:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emjaybee

Morning all!

Having received a pair of NGS bogies in the post yesterday I'd like to do some brain picking.

Has anyone got any experience of these and how to secure/mount them to the underside of what is basically a flat sheet of plastic?

I'd hoped they'd have some sort of vague guidance or possibly a mounting boss, but you literally only get the bogies and coupler sprues.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

:thankyousign:
Brookline build thread:

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50207.msg652736#msg652736

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

honk843

I am not sure about the NGS bogies but BHE do pivot mounts for their or Farish bogies to go on plain floors. They are part of kit A10a if that is any help?

PaulCheffus

Quote from: emjaybee on May 23, 2019, 10:13:16 AM
Morning all!

Having received a pair of NGS bogies in the post yesterday I'd like to do some brain picking.

Has anyone got any experience of these and how to secure/mount them to the underside of what is basically a flat sheet of plastic?

I'd hoped they'd have some sort of vague guidance or possibly a mounting boss, but you literally only get the bogies and coupler sprues.

Hi

I used to make my own mountings from 4mm diameter Evergreen styrene rod with a plasticard disc glued to the bottom of the wagon that rubs on the top of the bogie (think of an upside down top hat). I then drill the other end of the rod and insert a piece of 1.5mm diameter Evergreen styrene rod attached to another plasticard disc to hold the bogie on.

Lately I have taken to turning the complete parts on the lathe and if your not in any hurry I could do you a couple of sets.

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

emjaybee

Thanks for the responses.

Quote from: honk843 on May 23, 2019, 11:03:27 AM
I am not sure about the NGS bogies but BHE do pivot mounts for their or Farish bogies to go on plain floors. They are part of kit A10a if that is any help?

Thanks for the link, I'll keep it as a backup plan for the time being.

Quote from: PaulCheffus on May 23, 2019, 11:04:28 AM
Quote from: emjaybee on May 23, 2019, 10:13:16 AM
Morning all!

Hi

I used to make my own mountings from 4mm diameter Evergreen styrene rod with a plasticard disc glued to the bottom of the wagon that rubs on the top of the bogie (think of an upside down top hat). I then drill the other end of the rod and insert a piece of 1.5mm diameter Evergreen styrene rod attached to another plasticard disc to hold the bogie on.

Lately I have taken to turning the complete parts on the lathe and if your not in any hurry I could do you a couple of sets.

Cheers

Paul

I'm going to have a crack at making some mounting bosses in the manner you've used, if it goes horribly wrong I may be back to take you up on the offer of manufacturing some.

Brookline build thread:

emjaybee

Cool, thanks for the offer.

I'm going to get in touch with the NGS and suggest that their bogies come with a mounting boss. I've recently received a Warwell kit and that has a mounting boss on one of the sprues, so the 'diagram' already exists.

I'll keep everyone posted on results.
Brookline build thread:

red_death

The problem is that the mounting boss you describe is on a different piece of tooling to the bogies so you can't just run them off to go with the bogies.  For the NGS to supply a mounting boss with bogies would mean creating a new tool (which wouldn't be needed for most of the NGS kits) and I can't see that being economically viable.

Cheers Mike

emjaybee

Quote from: red_death on May 24, 2019, 04:10:13 PM
The problem is that the mounting boss you describe is on a different piece of tooling to the bogies so you can't just run them off to go with the bogies.  For the NGS to supply a mounting boss with bogies would mean creating a new tool (which wouldn't be needed for most of the NGS kits) and I can't see that being economically viable.

Cheers Mike

Thus spake the voice of doom!

;D

I can understand that argument. Is it the case that most people buy the bogies to retro fit?

Is there a mounting boss in any of the other kits that is on a 'small' sprue that could be made available to purchase?

???
Brookline build thread:

Mr Sprue

Quote from: emjaybee on May 24, 2019, 06:00:10 PM
Quote from: red_death on May 24, 2019, 04:10:13 PM

Cheers Mike

Thus spake the voice of doom!

;D

I can understand that argument. Is it the case that most people buy the bogies to retro fit?

Is there a mounting boss in any of the other kits that is on a 'small' sprue that could be made available to purchase?

???

Not exactly Mike is 100% correct. Trust me if there was a good demand for this type of part I would make the tool and produce them!

However for what its worth I am currently making a tool to produce bogie retaining pins, the diameter of the pin will be the same size of the original Farish pin.  These will be available soon.

Hope that helps!

RailGooner

What about the old 2BA nut and bolt solution?

Ben A

???

Hi there,

Well, yes there is with every kit.   Each kit is supplied with the pair of pivot bosses to enable the kit to be completed.  Removing them to sell separately would render the remainder of the kit parts useless!

I think anyone with the skills to scratchbuild a wagon would usually be able to fabricate some kind of bogie pivot, in the manner described by Paul above, but the new NGS Warflat kit does have a spare boss moulded into each sprue, so the answer to your prayers may not be too far off.

cheers

Ben A.
(NGS VP)

emjaybee

Quote from: Ben A on May 24, 2019, 11:34:31 PM

???

Hi there,

Well, yes there is with every kit.   Each kit is supplied with the pair of pivot bosses to enable the kit to be completed.  Removing them to sell separately would render the remainder of the kit parts useless!

I think anyone with the skills to scratchbuild a wagon would usually be able to fabricate some kind of bogie pivot, in the manner described by Paul above, but the new NGS Warflat kit does have a spare boss moulded into each sprue, so the answer to your prayers may not be too far off.

cheers

Ben A.
(NGS VP)

I think there's a little misunderstanding.

My thought was, say for instance, Kit ABC consists of three sprues, one has wagon sides, one has wagon ends, one has detail parts and bogie bosses.

The third (imaginary) sprue could be made available separately for sale to scratchbuilders.

In my (distant) youth, many plastic kits I built had 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 different sprues, and sometimes half the bits on a sprue weren't used on that particular kit.

I just wondered if by any chance there happened to be an existing 'additional' sprue in one of the NGS kits that had the bogie boss which could be run off for separate purchase?

This is one example in the Warwell kit.

I want suggesting for one minute that someone went around snipping them out of kits for me (or others).
Brookline build thread:

Ben A

Ah, I see what you mean.

Generally, you try to get as many parts on one tool as you can to save money.  The only reason you'd use another tool is if either it's a complex part that requires a collapsible tool or you want to use a different material like say slippery plastic for bogies and couplers.

I am not aware of any sprue that just has some bogie bosses on it, however as I said, the new Warflat mouldings - which are very similar to your Warwell moulding - have two bosses included, and since every kit requires two sprues to complete the kit there'll be a full pair left over.

cheers

Ben A.
(NGS VP)

emjaybee

Any chance of getting some to me this weekend?

;D

Perhaps in future anyone buying those kits can 're-sell' the extra bosses on here.

When does the new Warflat kit appear?
Brookline build thread:

Ben A

Hi there,

The mouldings have only just arrived for assessment.  Then the castings and any etches need to be drawn up to suit and tested, and finally the instructions written.

It'll be a month or two at least before the kit is ready.

cheers

Ben A.

emjaybee

Quote from: Ben A on May 25, 2019, 02:40:26 AM

Hi there,

The mouldings have only just arrived for assessment.  Then the castings and any etches need to be drawn up to suit and tested, and finally the instructions written.

It'll be a month or two at least before the kit is ready.

cheers

Ben A.

Aww crap. Looks like I'll have to have a go at building some bosses, although I may take the other option of stealing the bosses from my Warwell kit and push the problem down the road for a bit.

Thanks for the info though @Ben A I'll look forward to seeing the kits.

Brookline build thread:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23