How warm should a loco get?

Started by Old Crow, October 20, 2017, 02:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Crow

Bear with me guys, it's all new to me.
Running in my used Poole Coronation Pacific today on a test oval. Pleased to say she will pull five coaches easily at 70mph. After five minutes of testing, loco felt a little warm and I'm just wondering what is a safe tempearture or running time?

Also note she wobbles a bit at speed - something I believe full sized locos did!

Bealman

I don't own such a loco, but have known a few folk over the years who did, and I do seem to recall they ran a bit warm.

Is your loco running warm, or actually hot?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Vonzack

I'd say it depends on how long it's been running and what it's been pulling, but if it's getting warm with only 5 coaches then it might be worth looking at, maybe a dab of lubrication will see it right.

If it shows signs of a Farish Wobble, then it's likely something is out of alignment, probably the quartering on the drive wheels and this could be what's making it run hot, as the motor has to work harder to cope.

Dr Al

Generally, most motors do dissipate some heat. It's subjective to measure though (one man's "very hot" is another's "a little warm"), so a better way is to wire an ammeter in series with your controller and measure the current draw of the loco while running.

For an old Poole model it should be between 100 and 200milliamps, and if it's higher than this the loco is likely in need of a service. Although if the loco has not been serviced for a while then even if the current consumption is reasonably ok, a service will help further.

Heat does degrade motor life, so it is desirable to minimise the current locos draw.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Old Crow

Thanks Doc.
Have to say though, after a little lubrication and running in - as I've no idea how long it's been stored - it's a good runner and pulls well. I note that it does take a couple of notches more on the controller than the later one so I will check the current draw. Gets warm after sustained running bit not much and it isn't going to be run for excessive periods. I like these locos, they have nice weight and the later, early Chinese one - to Poole spec, seems to me, to be heavier still!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations