Woman killed as she leaned out of train window

Started by Philip., October 16, 2019, 05:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-50067073

At what point did she think it was a good idea to stick her head out of the window of a train that was travelling at 75mph. How can the sign be inadequate, there shouldn't even be the need for a warning sign?

What is wrong with people  :censored: :censored: :censored:

crewearpley40

We will never or may not know the story and the truth. Railadvent co uk has the rail accident investigation branch recommendations findings. Plenty of debate to be had

RailGooner

Bealman

There are silly people, though. A few weeks ago a bunch of young blokes were "playing chicken" at a local station, leaning out from the platform in front of an oncoming train.

Result? One dead chicken, one traumatised driver, 300 inconvenienced commuters.

According to the media, alcohol was involved.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

themadhippy

obviously to young to have seen the BBC safety film
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

Phoenix

Totally agree with Railgooner such a tragic accident, and sympathy goes to family members.

But .... don't stick your head out a window that has a a warning above it saying don't stick your head out the window :no:

And as Philip says, what made her think that was a good idea anyway.

Love the Young Ones clip  :D

All best wishes

Kevin

:beers:

railsquid

Do they still have those Mk3s where you have to pull down the window to open the door from the outside?  :goggleeyes:

njee20

And that's exactly what she was on when she stuck her head out.

In this day and age it is somewhat surprising that's the mechanism for opening the door, but... y'know... just don't stick your head out of a moving train. Not rocket surgery.

Still, very sad for those directly affected.

Tonye

And what`s on the news today?, some people are climbing on the roof of a tube train and others are gluing themselves to them. 
Tony .H

AdrianC

It's tragic and must be awful for her family and friends but what annoys me is that the whole article is more about how a sign above the window which said CAUTION Do not lean out of the window when the train is moving was deemed 'inadequate' because "Investigators claimed the use of the word "caution" suggested that leaning out the window could be done safely if care was taken."

They've even tried to blame NR for not cutting the foliage that she hit down. Now, yes, I'm sure we could agree that NR could do better, but when they do, loads of others get up in arms about cutting trees down.....

At some point in the last 20 years common sense got up and walked out the door in a huff......

If it moves and shouldn't, duct tape. It it doesn't move and should, WD40...

RailGooner

I grew up having to physically interact with the world around me. That helped to make me intimately aware of the world around me.

Today, kids grow up interacting chiefly via Facebook/Twitter. They are barely aware of anything that isn't in the i-world. They literally have their heads in the Cloud.

njee20

And therein lies the problem - because the clouds are outside the window of the train - hence you must lean out to get there.

Intercity

If they are so dangerous then how did we manage all those years ago when everything had a drop light window? And no central door locks either, we stuck our heads out, we knew the risk, we opened doors half way down platforms and jumped off, once in a while you mis-stepped and face planted the platform, oh and people stood behind the yellow line as they knew a door was likely to be flung open.

Sure there were incidents but we weren't dying like a bunch of lemmings!

guest311

Quote from: AdrianC on October 17, 2019, 02:36:58 PM
It's tragic and must be awful for her family and friends but what annoys me is that the whole article is more about how a sign above the window which said CAUTION Do not lean out of the window when the train is moving was deemed 'inadequate' because "Investigators claimed the use of the word "caution" suggested that leaning out the window could be done safely if care was taken."

They've even tried to blame NR for not cutting the foliage that she hit down. Now, yes, I'm sure we could agree that NR could do better, but when they do, loads of others get up in arms about cutting trees down.....

At some point in the last 20 years common sense got up and walked out the door in a huff......

I could suggest another sign, but couldn't put the wording on here without being put 'on report', even using asterisks  :censored:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations