British N Gauge steam has departed.

Started by Elvinley, April 27, 2023, 04:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elvinley

What has happened to N Gauge steam in this country? The new Farish catalogue lists just four types of loco; their website shows just one currently available and Dapol's shows three types. The new M7 looks like it has problems and isn't even listed on their website as far as I could see.

Farish have produced at least 22 types of steam loco to modern standards (DCC ready etc) and they have all been excellent bar a few QC issues now and again and the odd weak puller.

Dapol have produced at least 17 types of steam loco and most have been to modern standards but many seemed to have had one issue or another to make them less appealing than their diesels.

Other manufacturers are few and far between and now Union Mills is no more.

Can anyone cheer me up?!

Bob G

You can't call UM models modern standards, but that doesn't mean they were not popular.

But we have more loco manufacturers than ever before: New ones include Sonic, Rapido, Revolution, and EFE.
Sonic has delivered one steam loco to modern standards (56xx) and has two in the pipeline (5101 and J50).

Cheer up! A steam loco will be along shortly.

Bob

Newportnobby

On the heels of the lovely 56xx Sonic are producing more steam (I have the Prairie on pre order), and Dapol have announced the Bulleid light pacific is still going ahead, along with a Mogul.
I can't see RevolutioN doing a steamer but may be proved wrong in the future.
I'm really not sure what Farish are up to but hope to learn more at the NGS show in York

SD35

I think the quarterly day of "wahhhhh-noblueandgreymk2-whynopre-groupingsteam-whatmore31liveries?-Farishhateme" event is due next week so you never know, they might surprise everyone and announce the re-lease of Royal Scots, Jubilees, Black 5s, etc.

What?

Elvinley

I just realised I posted this in the wrong section durrr.

Chris Morris

I am sure that the manufacturers invest their precious cash into where they expect to get the best return on investment. That is the only way they will stay in business. They have no bias towards steam or contemporary or anywhere in between, they are merely looking for the best volume /profit margin they can find in order to survive. It must be that modern image sells better than steam in N gauge.

There is nothing stopping anyone deciding to tool up and make a new steam loco. In fact that's exactly what Sam at Sonic has done. I say thank you Sam, wish him well and look forward to one day receiving a large prairie. I've paid my deposit and I'm hoping it all works out unlike a well remembered DJM project (I lost out there).

I think Farish will always struggle to bring out new N gauge. I am very pleased when they do bring a new item out but I recognise that the volumes for British N compared to British 00 and US N & H0 will always make it hard for British N projects to get priority over other projects. I'm sure the folk at Bachmann Europe push as hard as they can for us but again Kadar have to invest where the best returns are.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Roy L S

Another to look forward to is the return of the Dapol Ivatt 2MT Tank with the new anf from the look of it much improved chassis. I feel sure lessons will have been learned from the M7 and I am really looking forward to getting a push-pull version (BR livery of course).

Roy

Newportnobby

Quote from: Elvinley on April 27, 2023, 06:38:06 PM

Now moved from 'General' to 'N Gauge' discussion

Adam1701D

Quote from: Roy L S on April 27, 2023, 07:16:24 PM
Another to look forward to is the return of the Dapol Ivatt 2MT Tank with the new anf from the look of it much improved chassis. I feel sure lessons will have been learned from the M7 and I am really looking forward to getting a push-pull version (BR livery of course).

Roy

We are doing the forensics on the M7 to find a fix for the bum-up appearance. As well as the announced Ivatt, we have plans to revamp our steam range with coreless motors located in the locomotive. Contrary to some comments on this forum, we are not abandoning N - quite the opposite in fact (and BoB is progressing).
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Bigmac

there cant be that many popular steam locos left that havent  appeared at some time..which is why i try to bash some ready to run models into ones i doubt will ever appear in manufacturers catalogues..
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Bob G

Quote from: captainelectra on April 27, 2023, 09:44:21 PM

Roy

We are doing the forensics on the M7 to find a fix for the bum-up appearance. As well as the announced Ivatt, we have plans to revamp our steam range with coreless motors located in the locomotive. Contrary to some comments on this forum, we are not abandoning N - quite the opposite in fact (and BoB is progressing).
That's really helpful.
Are you going to help people who have already brought/pre-bought the model ?
Bob

Elvinley

Quote from: Newportnobby on April 27, 2023, 09:28:55 PM
Quote from: Elvinley on April 27, 2023, 06:38:06 PM

Now moved from 'General' to 'N Gauge' discussion

Thanks!

Elvinley

Quote from: captainelectra on April 27, 2023, 09:44:21 PM

Roy

That's good to hear. A better tender to loco connection and less delicate valve gear would be good too.

Dorsetmike

Us Southern modellers are used to not having much RTR steam, especially no 4-6-0s!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Chris Morris

Quote from: Elvinley on April 27, 2023, 11:08:07 PM

That's good to hear. A better tender to loco connection and less delicate valve gear would be good too.

The loco to tender wires have been an issue. I now build my own stronger ones. Its always the soldered joint that goes.

Whislt less delicate valve gear would be a bonus I would not want to see it at the cost of having thicker or wider valve gear. I much prefer delicate but not too big to strong but horribly over scale.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £30.67
Below Goal: £69.33
Site Currency: GBP
31% 
May Donations