Class 31/4

Started by jamespetts, August 26, 2019, 12:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamespetts

Graham Farish produce a splendid BR Class 31/1:

and also plan to release a new one with a 18 pin DCC socket sometime soon, along with a Railfreight liveried version and some later refurbished types including the class 31/6, but there does not seem to have been produced or announced any class 31/4, the earlier variant with provision for ETH.

From what I can see, the main difference between the 31/1 and the 31/4 is the jumper on the lower right of the front end. Compare this class 31/4:

with this class 31/1:

The class 31/4 is what I need for my layout, as that is what was in use for the most part in the area/period that I am modelling:

31435 Aynho Junction 020689 (to Paddington) by Michael Hart, on Flickr

Mixed bag by Bingley Hall, on Flickr

Has anyone had a go at converting a (new) Farish 31/1 to 31/4 by adding this jumper cable? Are there parts available for this, or would one have to try to 3d print this? Creating the notch for it would be the most difficult thing: one might just omit this and stick the jumper on; or one might attempt to find a way of carving this into the body, but this does not seem to be a good option at this stage.
Peertube > Youtube

Dr Al

3D printing that cable would be super weak.

You'd be better trying to source something similar from the detail packs of other locos, e.g. class 37, class 20 definitely have pipes that are similar.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

jamespetts

Quote from: Dr Al on August 26, 2019, 09:33:23 AM
3D printing that cable would be super weak.

You'd be better trying to source something similar from the detail packs of other locos, e.g. class 37, class 20 definitely have pipes that are similar.

Cheers,
Alan

The cable I would not print - I imagined printing the jumper and using some sort of wire for the cable. However, the idea of using parts from a detailing pack is an interesting one. I cannot find any detailing packs for sale on Peter's Spares, although I am not sure that I will be able to use much of the detailing packs that I have owing to needing to use working couplers on both ends of all locomotives.
Peertube > Youtube

Jonas

Quote from: jamespetts on August 26, 2019, 10:27:03 AMI am not sure that I will be able to use much of the detailing packs that I have owing to needing to use working couplers on both ends of all locomotives.

Won't you have the same problem on your 31/4? A representation of the jumper should be easy enough to carve from plasticard, ignore the cable and attach that to the cab front and You'll still be able to represent the 31/4 and keep the coupling.

njee20

Not worth 3D printing IMO. Just a small piece of plasticard or a jumper cable from another model would be much easier.

crewearpley40

nick

would this work ?

Use fuse wire and masking tape, shape the fuse wire & wrap narrow lengths of masking tape around the ends to represent the connectors.  Then paint back and orange

njee20

Yes, probably, although I suspect that would be fiddly given how small the connectors are. Fine fuse wire isn't a bad shout though. Personally I'd probably be content just doing the connector and not the wire - given none of the other hoses or cables will be fitted. 

crewearpley40

thanks thats what i was thinking !!!! maybe worth then a trip to my local hardware store and checking whether i have or james etc have the right tools.

jamespetts

Thank you for your various thoughts. An interesting thought apropos re-using an existing item; I am not sure how suitable that such an item might be. Because this is outside the buffers, it is unlikely to interfere with the coupling. I am not sure at this stage to what extent, if at all, any of the detailing parts of locomotives can be used if working couplers are fitted to both ends - for example, is it possible (and desirable) to fit the sockets so as not to leave big holes in the buffer beams but remove the dangling pipe parts which would interfere with the couplings? If so, then there will not be anything to re-use.
Peertube > Youtube

crewearpley40

james

should fit easy without fouling couplers . have you the detailing bag /parts ?

jamespetts

I do have the detailing bag; but when you write, "it", may I ask to which specific component that you are referring?
Peertube > Youtube

crewearpley40

what parts are in the bag please ?

are there parts for pipes / cables ?

can you fit these parts without fouling the coupler

jamespetts

There are a great many pipes and cables in the bag; I am currently not at home, and will need to get home before doing this work. I have doubts as to whether these parts can be fitted without fouling the coupler; I was hoping to get information about what other people have discovered on this question.
Peertube > Youtube

crewearpley40

ok sorry was not sure whether at home. hopefully will gain opinions before taking a decision. i have photos of 31s so work from them and hopefully you can make the choice to suit you

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations