CJM Old Models...Are they worth it?

Started by sparky, April 02, 2017, 08:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob G

Quote from: Railbank on April 04, 2017, 06:24:59 PM
it's down to the old adages "it is only worth what someone is prepared to pay" and in the case of that well known internet auction site "buyer beware" it might not be what you think it is!

Remember the recent Dapol Mk3 in RTC livery went for £106 - crazy to most - me included but obviously desirable by some.

Bought mine for £19 - expensive at the time (2009). Mine had droopy couplings. Sold it in 2015 for £41. thought I was a hero to get rid of it.

Bob

acko22

Well I managed to pic up as CJM Saturn chassis class 60 for 50 quid not long ago, not in any special livery just one of the standard ones but at that price I would be a fool to say no when you consider the prices on some.

The guy i got it off on Fleabay had a few up for say and the only one which broke the 200 quid mark was one in British Steel Blue, the others well mine was the cheapest then a coal sector one for 70, so I know I got a bargin! As expected it ran like a dream just waiting for it to be Chipped so it can be added to the collection.

Will be interesting to see how much the prices increase when Chris decided to call it a day and you cant get some of the models such as the class 89 anymore
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

njee20

That is a bargain! I have a saved eBay search for them to see if anything comes up. They usually go for big money still, a 92 went for £320 last week. Rails have a surprising amount come up too, they had an ARC 59 and PTA wagons for a good while.

Skyline2uk

Quote from: njee20 on April 13, 2017, 07:14:40 AM
That is a bargain! I have a saved eBay search for them to see if anything comes up. They usually go for big money still, a 92 went for £320 last week. Rails have a surprising amount come up too, they had an ARC 59 and PTA wagons for a good while.

I watched that 92 as it was in EWS like one of the offerings from Revolution. £335.99 is not bad for a genuine Saturn Chassis CJM, I wonder if the Revolution 92 will hold down values of CJMs even after Chris finishes?

I personally ordered my one and only model (92 022) from Chris because I would never have the chance to own one again, it wasn't an investment as I would never sell. The fact that I can have two more without duplication from Revolution is a real bonus.

For me, I would only look at a pre-owned CJM with a Saturn chassis or pay a very small premium over 2nd hand Farish if the particular model is in a livery Farish never did.

Skyline2uk

njee20

Alternatively, I wonder if people buying know about the Revolution one. It's the first one I've seen go to auction for a very long time.

tunneroner61

Quote from: njee20 on April 04, 2017, 05:14:46 PM
They're obviously larger than a 31, but they're 1:160, so not too horrendously oversized.
This is true, but the TPM kit included new chassis castings that you transferred the motor and running gear to and you had to make a shortened drive shaft up (bits supplied) so the new chassis was shortened to 31 length.

Interestingtly a 31 was 56'9" over buffers which at 1/148 scale is 116.9mm rounded if I've done my sums properly. A quick measure of  a TPM 31 gives 111mm and of a GF one 118mm - I always though the TPM model was short. I don't have a new tool BF 31 to measure up for comparison. I've not checked any other measurements to see if the proportions vary.

Ben A

Quote from: ntpntpntp on April 12, 2017, 10:36:33 PMCan't believe I have five 73 electro-diesels, four Dapols (all of which have been picked up for stupid cheap prices like £10) and my excellent CJM Pullman 73 Royal Alex. 

Incredible to think the CJM is 20 years old, the sleeve says I bought it in October '97. I think it cost £199, so obviously not cheap at the time.   Expert paint and lining job, and so much better running than my Dapols, although I don't think this is a Saturn chassis - looks like based on a Kato split-frame design.  Even more flywheel effect than my 59!

Hi there,

I always thought the CJM 73 (which of course was mastered by Bernard Taylor) was a far better likeness than the Dapol model.

The CJM has a nice curve to the gutter above the windscreen, whereas for me tha Dapol one is too straight, giving it a slightly grumpy look!

The Dapol model does have excellent bogies though.

Cheers

Ben A.

davidinyork

Surprised recently to see how relatively little some CJM models are now selling for on ebay - the 67s don't seem to go for much more than the Dapol ones, and 59s, 66s and 56s advertised as buy it now with not unreasonable prices seem to hang around for a long time.

All of these are of course models he has built from scratch (i.e. they are not repaints of Farish, etc)

njee20

The DB 59 that's hung around on eBay surprises me as there's no mainstream alternative. I'm not all that surprised by the 66/67s, the Dapol/Farish ones are very good models, how much of a premium are people really prepared to pay? Not much, evidently...!

ntpntpntp

I think I read the recent 67(s) on ebay apparently have "finescale wheels", maybe that put some folk off?

Quote from: njee20 on May 19, 2019, 09:27:50 PM
The DB 59 that's hung around on eBay surprises me as there's no mainstream alternative.

For a moment I thought you might mean one of the other 3 or 4 Yeoman / DB models that Chris did!  But no, it's 59206 at £225.   Lovely model though :-)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CJM-N-Gauge-Class-59-Diesel-Locomotive-in-red-Shenker-livery/202678569179?

This one is gorgeous (but as the lucky owner I would say that  :-)  )

Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

njee20

Yeah, I keep being tempted, it's getting cheaper! If it was Hanson I'd have had it! I'd also sooner have a weathered one given Chris's skill at weathering.

Skyline2uk

Quote from: njee20 on May 19, 2019, 09:53:31 PM
Yeah, I keep being tempted, it's getting cheaper! If it was Hanson I'd have had it! I'd also sooner have a weathered one given Chris's skill at weathering.

If it was an original ARC 59/1 I would have bought it without hesitation. I am not sure I have seen one up for sale since Rails had some (all of which had some sort of defect, from glue marks to broken / slipped windows).

I wonder if the value of 59s is tied up with livery? Personally (and I mean personally), a Red DB 59 looks too much like a bogo 66 to justify the expense (and it's way out of Era for me).

National Power 59/2s have gone for big money the last two times I saw them, maybe helped by the inclusion of suitable wagons on both occasions.

Come on Dapol, pull your finger out so my ARC rake has some power!

Skyline2uk

njee20

Yep, I agree, I suspect if you repainted (/renumbered) a DB 66 as a 59 most people wouldn't notice! Frankly I suspect many wouldn't even if you painted one ARC/Yeoman/NP/Hanson!

Does feel like the last big gap in modern diesels, lots of liveries (albeit with loads of sub-class variation in a small class making it a bit of a minefield) over a 30 year period, wonder if Dapol will do it!

I wondered if the fact Chris has all but shut up shop may mean stuff went for more, but if anything values seem to have dropped.

Skyline2uk

Quote from: njee20 on May 20, 2019, 12:25:52 PM
Yep, I agree, I suspect if you repainted (/renumbered) a DB 66 as a 59 most people wouldn't notice! Frankly I suspect many wouldn't even if you painted one ARC/Yeoman/NP/Hanson!

Does feel like the last big gap in modern diesels, lots of liveries (albeit with loads of sub-class variation in a small class making it a bit of a minefield) over a 30 year period, wonder if Dapol will do it!

I wondered if the fact Chris has all but shut up shop may mean stuff went for more, but if anything values seem to have dropped.

Agree entirely.

Just to add Dapol intend to release (with all the usual caveats, let's leave the schedule comments to other threads  :D ;)) the 00 59s this year, livery samples are released.

Sticking with recent form there is no reason these should not then be put through the shrink ray (asked Dapol at every TINGS since I have been going, answer is always "Yes") but no idea on how long that will take.

Skyline2uk

njee20

The N gauge one was one of the models "on the back burner" though, whilst the OO one has always continued, and looks great. We shall see, they're still on the Hatton's website for pre-order.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations