New Class 31 and Jinty announced by Farish for 2013

Started by Adam1701D, September 02, 2012, 06:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwin_m

A contemporary/recent layout set in the Northampton area could at a push get by with Freightliner 86s and Desiros as the only electric stock.  Just about anywhere else needs a Pendolino! 

EtchedPixels

Quote from: red_death on September 03, 2012, 05:11:38 PM
Quote from: bluedepot on September 02, 2012, 10:17:23 PM
Ah that old chestnut - I wonder why Farish and Dapol have bothered with new liveries of models if the market is so small?

Because its cheap to do a new livery so doing small volumes of lots of liveries is better than doing nothing at all. Doesn't mean it was worth doing in the first place but those are sunk costs.

Still trying to work out the best chassis for my class 85. Not obvious what to use.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

bluedepot

yes probably farish or dapol would rather do a pendolino rather than a new tooling for an 87 or 90...???

either way, n gauge has a massive range available now.  is n gauge gaining popularity?  is it's market share of the model railway market increasing????

tim

Newportnobby

Quote from: bluedepot on September 03, 2012, 09:03:13 PM

either way, n gauge has a massive range available now.  is n gauge gaining popularity?  is it's market share of the model railway market increasing????

tim

Two questions that are way too big in scope for my pea brain, Tim :confused1:

I would, however, say that IMHO having attended a few shows this year that (a) the quality of N gauge layouts on the circuit has improved massively and that (b) they do seem to attract more interest than the bigger gauges.
:ngauge:

Ben A

yes probably farish or dapol would rather do a pendolino rather than a new tooling for an 87 or 90...???

tim

Hi there,

According to Bachmann's MD Graham Hubbard at the recent trade day, their N Gauge sales are now a fifth of their OO sales.

A few years ago it was widely considered that the N Gauge market was about a tenth of the OO - so the market share for N has doubled, though it's not clear whether that means that sales of N are up, or sales of OO are down....

cheers

Ben A.

Plainline.

Good news about the 31, how about an early variant with  some rail blue suburban Mk1's to go with it to recreate the kings cross suburban trains of the 70's!

bluedepot

Newportnobby

Quote from: Ben A on September 03, 2012, 11:30:28 PM

A few years ago it was widely considered that the N Gauge market was about a tenth of the OO - so the market share for N has doubled, though it's not clear whether that means that sales of N are up, or sales of OO are down....

cheers

Ben A.

Going by the plethora of new stuff emanting from Dapol & Farish, I'd like to believe sales are up in N gauge. After all, I'm sure it is not desperation driving them to do this but rather to further increase the market share for N :thumbsup:

Dock Shunter

Quote from: newportnobby on September 04, 2012, 09:39:32 PM

cheers

Ben A.

Going by the plethora of new stuff emanting from Dapol & Farish, I'd like to believe sales are up in N gauge. After all, I'm sure it is not desperation driving them to do this but rather to further increase the market share for N :thumbsup:

It could actually be both if the upsurge in N is due in the main to 00 gauge modellers downsizing....

H

. . . . farish or dapol would rather do a pendolino rather than a new tooling for an 87 or 90...

Not necessarilly. It would rather depend on where, in era/period terms, they see their best/largest potential 'electric' modellers market is. And, after all, Dapol did once announce a Pendolino and have since consigned it to the 'back burner'.

either way, n gauge has a massive range available now.

But not in the 'electric traction' market, either for third rail or OHLE supply. Overall, it's certainly an increasing range, but 'massive' would rather depend on your viewpoint and whether it covers what you particularly want. Just check out the 'tank kettle loco' thread - there's quite a few moaning about the lack of those.

H.

bluedepot

good point h.  i model diesel 1980s and 90s, so for me the range is very good now. obviously could always do with more liveries and varients... and a few more dmu classes, a new class 25 etc. but the range is pretty extensive now.  very true though for some eras / regions there is not a big range still. 

tim

Adam1701D

You never know, with another livery choice (probably) coming along for the Pendolinos quite soon, Dapol may reconsider...  :no:
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Donkey

Quote from: newportnobby on September 04, 2012, 09:39:32 PM

cheers

Ben A.

Really exciting times for  :ngauge: at the moment and I am loving it despite the effect it is having on my bank balance  :'( :laugh: :laugh:

Marty

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations