Started by Adam1701D, September 02, 2012, 06:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam1701D

Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Sprintex

New 31 !!  :claphappy:

Hopefully a Railfreight one won't be too far behind the initial liveries  ;)

Paul

davieb

new Jinty  :claphappy:  :bounce:

following in Dapols footsteps me thinks  :-X

dave  :thumbsup:

Adam1701D

I'm guessing that the first three announced will have the original bodyside strapping and bufferbeam cowls which were removed when refurbished and repainted into Railfreight livery from about 1985 onwards.

It would be great if the later machines will follow, allowing Railfreight, Dutch, Regional Railways, etc...
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough, UK

Ollie3440

Having just seen this i was just about to post the info on here, you beat me to it Captainelectra! :P

Fantastic news, well for me at least :D Another DCC Ready tank is needed and both locos were seriously in need of updating!

Ollie
Hi I'm Ollie, and I'm a addicted to buying MK1s......

My Previous Exhibition Layout - The Sheaf Valley Railway
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24.0

My Current Exhibition Layout - Wenlock
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23228.0

Pete Mc

Having bought a Farish class 45 at the Midland Railex off the Farish stand for 40 quid the week before last,I was also gonna add a class 40 and a class 31 as well providing I could get em for a good price.
I may hold out for a new tooling class 31 now,cos I was gonna strip em down for the purpose of adding sound and lights.
Due to the 45 being such a good price,this was gonna be my second crack at installing sound after one of my deltics.
With all this good news coming our way,hopefully a revised class 40 is only around the corner.

Pete
:Class31: :Class37: :NGaugersRule:
Its my train set and I'll run worra want!

Pete sadly passed away on the 27th November 2013 - http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17988.msg179976#msg179976

EtchedPixels

Good news indeed, cos I need a BachFarr 31 chassis for something and now the price might go down. Wonder if the Jinty is to replace the planned Pannier that Dapol kind of stole the show on ?
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Roy L S

Could be this is actually more of a "hands off" type gesture in Dapol's general direction. Both have a fair few livery variations, that would make them an attractive prospect, and in the Jinty's case it makes a cost effective entry level loco to compete with the Dapol Pannier too.

They are certainly a couple of good choices for a retool, but part of me still wishes they'd concemtrate on what has already been announced first.

I hope the J39 is being progressed, so far we haven't had much by way of an update, no evidence of EPs and no clarity on whether it will be tender or loco driven.

Roy

Donkey

bluedepot

so, of the main br diesel loco classes, which ones are left now to re-tool and modernise?

i can only think of the class 25 and 40 that need to be done (not including the earlier diesel types that didn't last too long in this of course...)

then there are ac electrics, i suppose an all new for n gauge 85 (shrunk down by bachmann), a new 87, 90 and 91.  not that the 25kv ac electric market is very big of course.

not sure if i'll get a 31 in blue or wait for one in another livery (railfreight, dutch or regional railways...)

tim 

Portpatrick

Quote from: Roy L S on September 02, 2012, 07:23:24 PM
Could be this is actually more of a "hands off" type gesture in Dapol's general direction. Both have a fair few livery variations, that would make them an attractive prospect, and in the Jinty's case it makes a cost effective entry level loco to compete with the Dapol Pannier too.

They are certainly a couple of good choices for a retool, but part of me still wishes they'd concemtrate on what has already been announced first.

I hope the J39 is being progressed, so far we haven't had much by way of an update, no evidence of EPs and no clarity on whether it will be tender or loco driven.

Roy

Roy

yes indeed.  They must get existing announcements out first - or publically and openly withdraw them.  As they did with some of the Voyager offshoot variations.  These views mirror our various comments on the RM Web channel.  I also look to the J39, though not with such immediate concern.  Competition and brinkmanship is fine provided promises are not made and we then face many years before even a sniff of the resultant item.  That is frankly no way to treat your customers.

I even remember c 1976 seeing a Collet Goods, 4F and 2P in the Peco catalogue.  At the time I was starting out in N and was on the verge of carrying on my S&D interests from OO.  I got very excited!  I did other thing in N instead.  Hence a tendency to a sense of deja vu  and let down over the Ivatt.  Hopefully not for too much longer.

moogle

A new Jinty!  8)  :claphappy:  :thumbsup:
Good news that.
Just need it in N.C.C and U.T.A liveries and I'll be fine!  ;)  :D

They're gradually doing most of the old range, though I think I might have a long wait for a re-tooled Holden tank!  :laugh:
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

kaiwhara

Regional Railways would be a great one for me - my last RR 31 shorted (I think) a few years ago and caught fire  :'(
:Class414:  :NGaugersRule: :Class37:

My Model Planning Thread:

(Click on Picture to view thread)

View my photos at my Flickr Account

Dr Al

Quote from: bluedepot on September 02, 2012, 10:17:23 PM
then there are ac electrics, i suppose an all new for n gauge 85 (shrunk down by bachmann), a new 87, 90 and 91.  not that the 25kv ac electric market is very big of course.

The AC market is clearly very small - Dapol seem to have been struggling to shift some of their 86s (got one new for £35 as a result!), and Farish have been quoted in the past as saying they haven't sold well.

As such one wonders if manufacturers will see richer pickings elsewhere.

cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

red_death

Quote from: bluedepot on September 02, 2012, 10:17:23 PM

The 87 and 90 are not that bad and with a bit of work can be made into very nice models.  I can't see the need (or inclination from Farish) for a new 87 or 90.  Having said that I thought the same about the 31...so what do I know...  :o

Quote from: Dr Al on September 03, 2012, 04:52:47 PM
The AC market is clearly very small - Dapol seem to have been struggling to shift some of their 86s (got one new for £35 as a result!), and Farish have been quoted in the past as saying they haven't sold well.

Ah that old chestnut - I wonder why Farish and Dapol have bothered with new liveries of models if the market is so small?

Is a simpler reason not just the lack of other stock eg any OHLE EMUs (NB the Desiro and 86 probably never crossed on the WCML (except for oddities) as the 86s had gone by the time the Desiros arrived). 

I don't dispute that the market for AC electrics *may* be smaller than other potential areas Bachmann could pick, but the same is increasingly the case for any choice as the obvious mainstream choices are picked off by the manufacturers.

Cheers, Mike

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations