What are you modelling?

Started by guest2, November 26, 2010, 09:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fifer

Quote from: oldrailbug on November 14, 2011, 11:18:23 AM
Nice work Mike, it looks like a very nicely detailed kit
Thanks ORB , I liked the shape and the industrial feel of it.
I will post updates soon.
Thanks , Mike
"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life.
When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up.
I wrote 'happy'.
They told me I didn't understand the assignment, and I told them they didn't understand life."
-- John Lennon

Crackerbill

Hi,

Thought I would show my loco shed under construction, which is the next bit of real estate for my planned steam loco depot.  It is two Metcalfe kits joined to make four roads.  No particular prototype.

Obviously there is the roof and roof detail needed to complete yet, with little bits and bobs of tarting and of course some weathering to do.

The base board is now constucted, well almost, and I have attached a peco type turntable which I have motorised using the Expo motor and gearbox.  The turntable was a pain to get right but now it works just fine, but I am dithering whether to replace it with one of the dedicated electric types.  It will depend on the durability of the Peco, however it will be difficult to change once the baseboard is complete with track layed.  Extensive tests will have to be in order to prove the Peco before I complete track and baseboard.

EtchedPixels

Chassis arrived today for the blue skinhead 31 I've been working on. This will go with the 57' blue mark 1 suburbans slowly taking shape to form a Moorgate type rake. (Ok most Moorgate stuff wasn't  a skinhead 31 but plain RTR wouldn't be so interesting)

Anyone want to buy an unused dutch class 31 shell ?

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

tadpole

I love the blue suburbans, Etched. I'm surprised Farish haven't done a blue version of their existing maroon suburbans rather than two varieties of maroon (probably because they were only found in one place), anyway, looks like you beat them to it.

I have fond memories of seeing these lurking on the slow lines out of The Cross. If I remember right, the GN rakes were six coaches with a brake at each end. At least half the 31s pulling them were still green in "my day".
Two rails good. Three better.

EtchedPixels

Quote from: tadpole on November 15, 2011, 11:10:34 PM
I love the blue suburbans, Etched. I'm surprised Farish haven't done a blue version of their existing maroon suburbans rather than two varieties of maroon (probably because they were only found in one place), anyway, looks like you beat them to it.

I have fond memories of seeing these lurking on the slow lines out of The Cross. If I remember right, the GN rakes were six coaches with a brake at each end. At least half the 31s pulling them were still green in "my day".

I've been trying to find out the actual formations definitively but as far as I can establish the standard formation was always five coaches (BS, S, S, S, BS) although I've seen images with a brake mid train ? Prior to that they were the quad arts.. wonderful thing but rather more challenging to model.

"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

tadpole

oh.... (tadpole scurries off to his books to dig out some pictures).

EtchedPixels

Quote from: tadpole on November 16, 2011, 01:25:39 PM
oh.... (tadpole scurries off to his books to dig out some pictures).

Enlightenment kindly provided by someone

Formations were

BS - S - S - S - BS

but after the remodelling allowed Moorgate platforms to be extended they became six coaches and began using

S - S - S - BS - S - S

with the one brake to maximise capacity (the quad arts prior to these not only fitted the platforms perfectly but carried more). Of course the arts fitted the platforms because they and the platforms and space for a tank loco were designed that way !

tadpole

A quick look in Early London Diesels by Michael Welch confirms all of "someone's" findings.
Pictures include:

BS - S - S - S - BS in maroon behind a green class 26 (1959). The 26s only lasted a year before going to Scortland.

S - S - S - BS - S - S in blue behind a blue class 31 (1974).

But best of all is a 1963 shot of a green 31 hauling two quad-arts. It's marshalled with brakes at the outer ends - I'd have thought the middle would be better so the gurad, or even the guard, is never more than 4 coaches away from the door that some lazy sod has left open. (On the other hand, probably better a guards compartment is off the end of the platform should the train overrun slightly).

EtchedPixels

Todays work was on the pannier backdate and decalling the Thompson 6 wheeler prototype - which is beginning to take shape nicely. Still needs numbers. varnish, glazing and then handrails. These go over the decals so need to be done last.

Some fun with the gimp tools

and the Thompson prototype (it's never going to be perfect as the roof wasn't quite right on the test etch and the battery boxes had to be moved for the final one, but it'll pass most eyes!)

and the pannier unadulterated by gimp. I'm feeling rather pleased with the crew look. Just needs a trainspotter on the platform looking up !

tadpole

Re-bashed my class 123 DMU so it now has the correct formation. Converted a farish BCK with a Greenmax chassis to become a DMBS, and added a CK (which has to be shared with a 4CEP). The surplus 123 DMS has a new cab and inlays, and before the weekend is out will be a 4TC driving car (to be joined by another I just won on eBay).

Obviously it needs finishing and BR decals.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

homerail

I model 1945 to 1960 ie the tatty but glorious last days of steam with some incursion from diesel the layout is fictitous and non area specific so I can run anything that I like that looks good. All stock and layout controlled via DCC .

bees

Quote from: tadpole on November 19, 2011, 05:18:50 PM
Re-bashed my class 123 DMU so it now has the correct formation. Converted a farish BCK with a Greenmax chassis to become a DMBS, and added a CK (which has to be shared with a 4CEP). The surplus 123 DMS has a new cab and inlays, and before the weekend is out will be a 4TC driving car (to be joined by another I just won on eBay).

Obviously it needs finishing and BR decals.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

That's looking great, which greenmax chassis did you use?
I like to start each day the same, sit up and take a deep breath!
First objective for the day achieved, woohoo!!!

Tank

tadpole

It's the 20m one, bees. It's frame is 127mm long, perfect for farish Mk1s. There is also an 18m one ideal for class 101s.
My chassis/boxes are all jumbled up, so I don't know the reference numbers, I'm afraid.

These chassis usually run OK, but the bogies are a bit naff with short wheelbases, and are too close together. They come in a pale grey colour so need painting, plus the addition of engines/gubbins underneath.

The 20m one is prone to derailing, so are good for checking track for defects. I marshall three beer wagons one side of the chassis and 2 carriages the other - if that little combo stays on the track, everything else will.

kirky

Today I have mostly been ..... applying decals.

these are the 30ft containers/transfers from c-rail.
Only possible with microsol....

Only three more to go  (groan)

cheers
Kirky
Northallerton will make its next public appearance will be at Perth model railway show https://smet.org.uk/show/layouts/
June 24/25 2023.

Layout: Northallerton: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=1671.msg16930#msg16930

www.northallertonngauge.co.uk

Cleveland Model Railway club website: www.clevelandmrc.club

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations