Scenery Modelling and Scenic Techniques

Started by Artisan, December 01, 2018, 08:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artisan

As I am new to railway modelling could anyone recommend a good publication showing scenic techniques and scenery modelling?
Best regards
Greg

Bealman

Any popular model railway magazine will give you instructions.

The popular mag's put out how to mag's as well.

Plus there are heaps of YouTube videos out there.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

I think Model Rail have just published a volume in their "How to build a model railway" series.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Artisan

Quote from: Bealman on December 01, 2018, 08:52:11 AM
Any popular model railway magazine will give you instructions.

The popular mag's put out how to mag's as well.

Plus there are heaps of YouTube videos out there.

Thank you for your response. Perhaps I am a bit old school but I do like a printed publication specific to the subject I have mentioned. I know there are books out there on general railway modelling but I wondered if there was a publication that was dedicated to the subject. With regards to YouTube, I have been watching some of the videos but like I say, I do like a good book!

Best regards
Greg

bridgiesimon

Usual situtation, there are almost as many differeent processes as there are modellers hehe.

Some prefer cardboard strips on formers to make scenery or chicken wire, I prefer using polystyrene.

As mentioned, keep an eye at the magazines, and ram raid youtube,
This is a great tutorial for starters -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eogwfb4LPLs

If you follow the link to his channel, there are loads of vidz to go through -
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjRkUtHQ774mTg1vrQ6uA5A

As for books, if you really want to work towards the really top standard, keep an eye out for the 'Wild Swan' books written by 'Gordon Gravett' there are a couple of books about making trees and one about grassland landscaping, not cheap but SUPERB!!

Try checking out the books stands and model railway shows, that way you get to see the books and can see how useful/easy to follow they are for you.
best wishes
Simon

austinbob

I think Scalescenes do a book. Obviously biased towards their products but, could be useful.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

bridgiesimon

Oh and I really do think that the best bit of advice I could give you for your future scenic modelling is to remember to pay attention to what is really out there, so many models are ruined due to simple things that make their model look unrealistic such as fields that are way too small etc so study books/piccies etc of the real thing as well as books about model making.

I know that it may all sound really daunting but the bottom line is that this is our hobby and really should be FUN!!!

As it is now December

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!

Sorry!
SImon

bridgiesimon

I have a couple of books written by Pelle Soeborg, I knwo they are based on American practice but show really good ideas and easy to read, lovely piccies of his superb layout as well -
https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Desert-Building-Daneville-Donner/dp/0890246750

There is a scenery techniques one as well, didnot pay that moch for it so shop around!

Best wishes again
Simon

Artisan

:thankyousign:

Thanks every one for the very useful advice.
Best regards
Greg

guest6107

There are a few useful Youtubes on applying static grass that show what can't be easily described in magazines. Woodland Scenics produce various things but their videos make their spiral-bound Scenery Manual redundant especially as it doesn't cover all their products. 

silly moo

I'm a great fan of YouTube tutorials, there are some really good ones on there and a lot with money saving ideas. They are particularly good at demonstrating things like ballasting and static grass. In conjunction with printed publications and advice from forum members there is a lot of information out there.

I think the Peco bookazine - Your Guide to N Gauge Modelling is worth considering too.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations