Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainfish, Madann01, zwilnik and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

austinbob

Quote from: Webbo on August 19, 2016, 09:39:43 AM
We had our Labrador cross, Kyla, put to sleep a couple of hours ago. She was a wonderful dog and had a very good innings being 2 weeks shy of 17 years old. I am feeling terrible and will miss her greatly.

Webbo
Sorry for your loss Webbo. We all get so attached to our pets and its a great shame and sorrow when they eventually have to leave us.
:sorrysign:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Malc

Sorry to hear of your loss Webbo. IMHO it's almost worse than loosing a family member. Dogs never answer back, stay out late, are glued to a phone or complain. Best thing is to get another dog.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Steve Brassett

As a fellow dog owner, who had to have a dog put down earlier this year, I really feel your pain.  17 years is a mighty fine innings, though, especially for a larger dog.

Bob Tidbury

:sorrysign: from a fellow dog lover I know how you feel if you look back we had to have our Buster put to sleep about two and a half years ago he had the dog equivalent of demtia and was loosing the use of his back legs as well ,we now have a lovely little dog called Mitzy but some times I forget and in the night if she wakes me I call her Buster, I will never ever forget him he was like a baby to Val and me , Leave it a while to grieve for your loss and get another dog because a house is not a home without a dog.
Bob

daveg

Really sad for you, Webbo.

Give yourself a little time and then, if you can, find a new member of the family to love and care for.

Dave G

Newportnobby

A horrible time for all concerned, Webbo. If all participants agree find yourself another dog asap (preferably from a centre caring for strays)

Papyrus

What a beautiful old girl! They break your heart when they go, don't they, even if they have lived to such a good age. I know from experience that the easiest way to get over your grief is to get another as soon as possible. Our old dog is 14 now and we hope he has another couple of years in him, but we also have his 1 year old great-grand-daughter who we refer to as the monster raving loony puppy... She drives us mad, but the house wouldn't be the same without either of them.

Sympathy and best wishes from our family.

Chris

lendix

Needed somewhere to be unhappy too.
I included a motorised turntable in my new layout, and sought help from the forum re controlling it. In the end, used a Locotech motor, and powered both the bridge and the motor from a track control on my also new Morley Vortrack controller through a spdt switch. Worked perfectly, really nice and slow, even able to stop the turn spot on, but......
The track control eventually (after several months of use) began to get hot, and eventually stopped working in one direction. Got told off severely by Morley who said the track control should not be used for the TT motor. (Actually, I still can't see why, it's only a 12v DC motor less powerful than for a loco). They repaired the controller for me (making their point pretty severely again), so now I have a turntable with an unpowered power! Somehow I need to find a way to power it again with a rheostat of some sort - and a major rewire too, which is a pain.
If anyone's got any ideas or suggestions, they'd be welcome.

Mito

I'm sorry about your loss Webbo. I too recently had to put down one of our dogs who lost the use of her back legs. It's hard but time heals and when you're ready another dog will help you through.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Webbo

Thank you all for your kind words. And my belated sympathies to those who have lost a dog or cat especially fairly recently.

We lost another dog about 18 months ago due to sudden illness (Jess) which I found to be very hard, but time did heal although I still really miss her. At least with Kyla, we knew the end of her days could not be very far away as she had renal disease and was gradually deteriorating. Even so, we have lost a dear friend and member of the family. After our first dog died, we obtained a kelpie puppy who is a real joy but is hyperactive and a bit destructive to car seatbelts, television remotes, the garden, the house.

Webbo

daveg

Just did a quick read on Kelpies as I'd not heard of them before.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/australiankelpies.html

Wow! You certainly seem to have a ball of fire (fur) there.

All the best and please keep us in touch with your canine developments.

Dave G

Jillingsbri

I'm not happy with this apparent two tier speed limit system that exists on the Marchwood bi-pass Nr Southampton.

There is a 40 mph limit for a large section, presumably because of including a couple of busy juctions and a school crossing (fare enough I guess).  I've travelled this route daily for the last 20 years and can honestly say I and the other drivers have habbitually edged over to the nearside to allow motor cyclists to overtake safely when seeing them fast approaching in the rear view mirror.  These guys have absolutely no regard for the speed limit, nor for the weather/traffic conditions.  They just have to pass everything in front of them, and it is a very busy petrol tanker route (Nr Fawley Refinery)  I swear some of these bikers must have a death wish ::)

Hence the apparent two tier system >:(

No I'm not anti biker, as I was one myself for about 35 years.  However, I'm now 73 and put my longevity partially down to not riding like a complete idiot all those years.

And another thing, while I'm on a roll  ;)  Talking about death wishes. How come cyclists either ignore red traffic lights and some, not all, insist on riding at night, sometimes down completely dark roads (Including said bi-pass) with no lights whatsoever.  In the sixties I would have had my collar felt for either one. How times change  :hmmm:

Incidentally, is the reason for some speed cameras facing  away from oncoming traffic, to see the registration of motorcycles.  Not having one on the front of course.

That's my rant for the day ;)

Cheers| Brian

PS. The layour is on hold as I'm skint :'(  Just had to have a new car alternator fitted... :thumbsdown:
I just love the way the Earth rotates. Makes my day!

steve836

Quote from: lendix on August 19, 2016, 06:20:56 PM
Needed somewhere to be unhappy too.
I included a motorised turntable in my new layout, and sought help from the forum re controlling it. In the end, used a Locotech motor, and powered both the bridge and the motor from a track control on my also new Morley Vortrack controller through a spdt switch. Worked perfectly, really nice and slow, even able to stop the turn spot on, but......
The track control eventually (after several months of use) began to get hot, and eventually stopped working in one direction. Got told off severely by Morley who said the track control should not be used for the TT motor. (Actually, I still can't see why, it's only a 12v DC motor less powerful than for a loco). They repaired the controller for me (making their point pretty severely again), so now I have a turntable with an unpowered power! Somehow I need to find a way to power it again with a rheostat of some sort - and a major rewire too, which is a pain.
If anyone's got any ideas or suggestions, they'd be welcome.

I'd be inclined to get a 16V transformer and a cheap controller (eg. Hornby), that should replace your good one on this duty. I do agree with you that it should be capable of doing the job, however if you continue to use it the manufacturer could be difficult. At least with a cheapo you won't lose much if it too goes belly up
KISS = Keep it simple stupid

Webbo

Quote from: daveg on August 20, 2016, 07:13:54 AM
Just did a quick read on Kelpies as I'd not heard of them before.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/australiankelpies.html

Wow! You certainly seem to have a ball of fire (fur) there.

All the best and please keep us in touch with your canine developments.

Dave G

Dave, what the piece has to say that you refer to is pretty right. My wife and I knew exactly what we were getting into as our Jess who died more than a year ago was also a Kelpie. The way I look at it, dogs like Kelpies and Border Collies are a big effort but provide a big reward. The destructive behaviour has subsided as Tilly grows from a puppy into an adult, but she still seems intent on digging her way to China. Kelpies are probably the quintessential Australian farm dog being used extensively to round up sheep and other live stock so there are lots of them in this country. They are popular in cities too.

Webbo

Jerry Howlett

Bit late on this thread but having lived in Italy for 11 years now we have our own "Pet Sematary".  All gone in the last 3 years and the oldest was only 13 and we had one who died in the car en route to the vets!!!..... We are now the proud companions of 2 rescue dogs but still shed the odd tear or lots when I find pictures of the old boys and girl.
Our hearts go out to you Webbo.
Jerry

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations