England v West Indies

Started by Philip., July 04, 2020, 11:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip.

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 09, 2020, 09:19:26 AM
Quote from: Philip. on July 07, 2020, 11:51:55 AM
Someone once said "if you want rain, arrange a cricket match" and true to form, the forecast for the first day at Southampton is bobbins  ::) ::)

Forecast for the 2nd day is slightly less bobbins (Can some one translate that please?)
Supposedly a lot better tomorrow.
Great leave by Sibley...................................not

It's a Manc term for rubbish [i'm in exile down here  ;) ]

Philip.

I thought the idea of a batsman was to hit the ball  ::)

Philip.

Can anyone explain why they go off for bad light even when the floodlights are on?  >:(  Put some brighter bulbs in  ::)

port perran

Quote from: Philip. on July 09, 2020, 05:57:33 PM
Can anyone explain why they go off for bad light even when the floodlights are on?  >:(  Put some brighter bulbs in  ::)
A very good point
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

Newportnobby

The 'reason' that used to be given was a fast red ball can be difficult to see with the consequent risk of injury to the batsman. I must admit I'd want decent light if a ball headed for me at 95mph!
Isn't there some talk of a pink ball to negate that?

port perran

Quote from: Newportnobby on July 09, 2020, 08:29:50 PM
The 'reason' that used to be given was a fast red ball can be difficult to see with the consequent risk of injury to the batsman. I must admit I'd want decent light if a ball headed for me at 95mph!
Isn't there some talk of a pink ball to negate that?
I could be wrong but I think the pink ball is only used in day/night tests.
Red ball for daytime tests even if the lights are on.
Cricket is getting far too complicated.

crewearpley40

Agree. The complicated nature of the matter is here https://www.quora.com/Why-is-a-light-meter-used-in-a-test-match but a long time ago umpires just used to look at the skies and ask batsmen could they see the ball. Crowds would shout out put it away that meter and slight drizzle up go umbrellas . Yes, the pink ball was an innovative day night test idea. Just to confuse, players numbers  , stumps that light up. What marketing and let's see if the game can appeal to younger audiences, families, lousy loud music  Jerusalem, barmy army antics, whatever happened to purist cricket, a polite clap at a century being reached or a wicket being taken

Philip.

Quote from: crewearpley40 on July 09, 2020, 08:46:05 PM
Agree. The complicated nature of the matter is here https://www.quora.com/Why-is-a-light-meter-used-in-a-test-match but a long time ago umpires just used to look at the skies and ask batsmen could they see the ball. Crowds would shout out put it away that meter and slight drizzle up go umbrellas . Yes, the pink ball was an innovative day night test idea. Just to confuse, players numbers  , stumps that light up. What marketing and let's see if the game can appeal to younger audiences, families, lousy loud music  Jerusalem, barmy army antics, whatever happened to purist cricket, a polite clap at a century being reached or a wicket being taken

Cricket has moved on, and for the most, for the good. To have the lights on then go off for bad light just doesn't make any sense especially if you are trying to attract a new audience. The ICC have to come up with a way of keeping the players on if lights are available.

As for "whatever happened to purist cricket, a polite clap at a century being reached or a wicket being taken" that was in the past, most of us have moved on. Would you rather have had polite clapping and gentle shouts of jolly good show when Buttler whipped the bails off to win the World Cup or Stokes hitting the winning runs in the Ashes at Headingly? The atmosphere at those two games must've been incredible.

port perran

Agreed
The atmosphere now, including at Test matches, is really good, and all the better for it.
I'm still a fan of test cricket over the other forms but I agree with @Phillip cricket has moved on and , mostly, for the better.
However, umpires are still to keen to take the  players off the field and that does need improvement.

Martin

Newportnobby

I used to love going to the cricket and have taken many a customer to matches in the past. The buyer at Nestlé refused to contemplate any corporate rubbish, preferring instead to sit in the stands and watch the cricket while munching on a sarnie or sausage roll with a drink in her other hand. In those times folks were limited to 4 cans only in a coolbox so I always took 4 x 1 litre cans of Cains Formidable (5% ABV), much to the envy of those around me :D
Cricket does get a little boring at times, especially when a team is playing for a draw, so to see some of the costumes being worn and the huge 'worms' of empty plastic glasses did relieve the tedium ;D

port perran

To me, this is proper Test Match cricket today.
Batsmen only, by and large, playing the balls that need to be played but punishing the bad balls, Bowlers toiling away.

Philip.

Quote from: port perran on July 11, 2020, 12:45:46 PM
To me, this is proper Test Match cricket today.
Batsmen only, by and large, playing the balls that need to be played but punishing the bad balls, Bowlers toiling away.

They seem to have remembered how Test Match Cricket should be played, maybe it's been the lack of T20 and ODI in the last few months  ;)

Philip.

I think the draw can be ruled out. If the tailenders can eek out another 30 or so runs, the Windies chasing 200+ could be interesting. I think they're still favourites to win though.

crewearpley40

Maybe 30 runs to 200 lead , 80 to 100 runs and 250 in 2sessions.  Depends on the pitch, the bowling and whether england can take 10 wickets

Philip.

James Anderson to score a quick fire 50  :smiley-laughing: then take a 5fer to win the game  ;)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations