The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom U

I spend so much time travelling and crossing time zones, I keep a spreadsheet of positive and negative hours to see if I am in credit or debit.
When the reaper calls, I shall check with St. Peter at the pearly gates to make sure I got all my alloted hours  :)

MalcolmInN

:laughabovepost:
I think you will find that there is a "force majeure" get-out in the contract.

JasonBz

Quote from: steve836 on October 24, 2015, 12:22:47 PM
As a matter of interest, how do our non-European friends do it? Do they play about with the clocks in Japan,Oz or USA?

Japan and China don't (though I think China only has one time zone anyway  :goggleeyes:)
Australia does in parts and the USA does.
Its mainly countries around the Tropics that don't, as there is no real need when every day is virtually the same length...

http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/g.html

Bealman

Here in Australia, I play around with the clocks all the time.

I seem to be forever puttin' new batteries in 'em.  ;D ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

As a matter of interest, how do our non-European friends do it? Do they play about with the clocks in Japan,Oz or USA?
No daylight saving here in Japan. On the other hand it is a nation with quite a wide east-west spread, which means to squeeze it all into one timezone involves very early mornings in summer, in Tokyo at least. I'd certainly prefer to shift things about so that there's more daylight in the evening rather than silly o'clock in the morning. At least we don't get those short dark cold northern European winter days...

Jon898

Most states in the US go through this fiasco twice each year (as proposed by Ben Franklin to "save candles").  There are exceptions...Hawaii and Arizona for example (and Puerto Rico which is a Commonwealth but not a state despite moves to make it one).  To complicate matters, some states have different rules by county and if you don't know which county you're in it can cause all sorts of confusion...Indiana is the poster child for this.  For a while, Indiana had no "Daylight Savings Time", then Mitch Daniels was elected governor partly on the ticket to move the whole state to the Central time zone (previously most was in the Eastern zone) and include DST; in a bunch of political horse trading and polemics ("If we stay in the Eastern zone, we'll have a better economy because we'll be in the same zone as New York"  :doh:  ...tell that to Chicago and Los Angeles), this was changed to incorporating DST but leaving most counties in the Eastern zone and allowing some counties to go to the Central zone but different counties than before!  If you want to have a boring argument on the subject of DST and time zones, all you need to do is gather 3 Hoosiers together and get them launched.  I lived there through the Daniels change which resulted in kids going to school in the dark for 90%+ of the year...but people could play golf in the evening for over half the year.

Tdm

Nothing to do with time - but I am angry with myself for somehow getting my wires crossed on the new car stereo I have just bought, which resulted in a large bang from inside the device and some fried components.

The new stereo came with an ISO connector and my Stag uses completely different types of connectors, so I had to cut & spice wires to join the two together and something went wrong somewhere.

At least it wasn't an engine that went bang, the stereo was cheaper, but looks like I'm going to have to buy another one as I don't think the shop will accept me returning the one I blew.

MikeDunn

Quote from: Zwilnik on October 19, 2012, 11:51:26 PM
The Windows 'fault with your computer' phone call is a scam.
Yeah, yeah, it's a 3-y-o post - so sue me  ::)

Just a 'bump' as I had one of these this morning (first time in absolutely ages !  At least a year !  I thought I'd upset them, or something  >:D), they're currently doing 'an advisory call' as they're getting 'messages from your computer' and need to 'verify your license, else we will have to cancel it'.  Indian or Pakistani accent, this one, no doubt we'll get others too.

Had the bugger going for over 5 minutes, even asked how Debian Linux was sending MS any messages instead of to Debian (that threw him >:D) before getting bored (I'm coming down with flu, so not feeling too well :( - otherwise might have spun him for longer; my record is around 20 minutes :D) & telling him to shove his own computer up his  :censored: ... he hung up on me - I was most upset ::)

MalcolmInN

Quote from: MikeDunn on October 26, 2015, 09:00:53 AM
- so sue me  ::)
Dear onnerable Sir,
I am most willing to help you with this very interesting enterprise.
However my lawyer is currently on holiday in Nigeria and does not have the funds available to return immediately.
If you could send me , , ,
and I assure you most sincerely that when this project succeeds I will be able to repay you with a very very big reward.

MikeDunn

railsquid

Quote from: MikeDunn on October 26, 2015, 09:00:53 AM
Had the bugger going for over 5 minutes, even asked how Debian Linux was sending MS any messages instead of to Debian
Are you running unstable? Tried running dpkg -s ms-cortana?

mr bachmann

after we went through the lights last night we left Cleveleys just about 10 past ten , stopping at Kirkby Stephen for the usual drinks in - and out ! , returning home around 2am (steady ride home , after all 1950's headlights  :D) ,
so whats  angry ... only that plod decided to pull me over and do the usual vehicle check and name address and all , it was only our local beat bobby and his apprentice - they both knew  me and the car , and I was only about 200 yards from home  :veryangry:

joe cassidy

Are you sending this message from jail ?

If so, "Good Luck",

Joe

Newportnobby

When they asked your profession, I trust you replied "Professional Decoy" ;)

joe cassidy

About 20 years ago I got stopped by a bobby in a pub car park in Reading before I'd taken the wheel of my vehicule.

He asked me how many pints I'd had, to which I replied "2" (the truth).

He then asked me to breath in his face, which I did, and he confirmed that "that smells like 2 pints" and allowed to leave in my car.

I hope that that police in Berkshire are still as pragmatic.

Best regards,

Joe
P.S. I got home safely

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations