The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveg

Quote from: Leo1961 on March 25, 2013, 05:53:47 PM
And some of us are old enough to remember when you got three deliveries per day, but only two deliveries on Christmas Day  ;)

I remember as a 10 year old seeing my uncle Fred go out, whistling and happy, to deliver the post Christmas morning. I was worried he wouldn't get back in time for our special lunch.

Dave G

thebrighton

Quote from: AndyGif on March 25, 2013, 03:16:08 PM
i used to play cards with a few ex postmen, and they told me its upto the individual postman if they want to carry the junk mail, but they get a bonus if they do....

Not any more, we have to deliver them for nowt. You used to get paid for delivering them but it was never an option. The company had paid RM to deliver them so if you didn't and were caught you were heading down the disciplinary route (could be why you played with ex postmen  ;)).
Gareth

thebrighton

[/quote]

When all else fails, the above solution of dropping it in the post box eventually does the trick. Especially when stamped with "Person not known at this address" ;)
[/quote]

I guess you're referring to addressed mail rather than the unaddressed weekly pile of junk. This will sometimes work as the letter goes back to the sender whom may remove you from their mailing lists but we do have a chuckle when the customer writes 'not known at address' on the front when it was addressed to the owner/occupier.
Gareth

EtchedPixels

I don't see a problem with putting unaddressed stuff backj in a postbox - if they use my letter box as a bin I don't see whats wrong with using theirs to return it 8)

Probably better to attach it to a letter of complaint however - that'll cost them a lot more to process and encourage them not to do it again.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

thebrighton

Quote from: Geoff on March 25, 2013, 03:08:36 PM
Gareth I am totally lost for words, the post office needs this type of mail to subsidise our postal system, you have me gob smacked, my post comes now at all different hours of the day.............

Unfortunately that is the case. For years any profit RM made was siphoned off by the Government rather than reinvested. We were a service until the EU liberalised the market and we had to become a business. The result was we had competition whom could cherry pick our more lucarative business (this was never personal customers). Postcomm was created to regulate the business with the directive to break RMs monopoly. RM was strangled with regulation whilst the competition was pretty much free to do what it wanted. RM couldn't charge what it needed to cover costs as Postcomm set the prices for 1st and 2nd class (only a change of regulator has allowed RM to make a profit on 1st class but not 2nd which caused the large jump). To top it all off RM still have to deliver all the post lost to DHL, UKMail, TNT etc. If this wasn't bad enough Postcomm set the prices we could charge them. A couple of years ago it was 12p an item and we had to treat it as 1st class (the new regulator has increased this). We had to subsidise the competition! Next time your post arrives have a look at the top right corner and see how many have a competitors name.
Liberalisation was supposed to mean choice for customers and a better service. What it actually meant was foreign companies taking business from a British company whom then had to pay for the privilige. No personal customer has benefitted as the competition is only interested in business mail. I'm yet to see a DHL postbox or stamp for example.
My office is like most others: constant cost cutting means there are more walks than posties so overtime is the only solution. Our staffing manager has an awful job. He has to cover all the walks but is never given the O/T budget and if someone goes off sick....
The weekly bundle of junk actually comes courtesy of our union. They agreed to increase it to 6 and us not be paid for it a few years back to help the business and to continue to guarantee a 6 day a week delivery.
Of course when the EU liberalised the market Britain said ok and ruined a once great institution whilst many of our European brothers stuck up 2 fingers and carried on as they were with their postal companies moving in here.
Sorry to drone on but if you think this is bad wait until we are privatised this year and profit for shareholders will finally erase what is left of a service. There won't be a 6 day delivery and if you dare to live in a rural area.......
Gareth

thebrighton

Quote from: EtchedPixels on March 25, 2013, 08:03:44 PM
I don't see a problem with putting unaddressed stuff backj in a postbox - if they use my letter box as a bin I don't see whats wrong with using theirs to return it 8)

Probably better to attach it to a letter of complaint however - that'll cost them a lot more to process and encourage them not to do it again.

Alan

I appreciate you feelings on unaddressed mail; I don't like it either but sticking it in a post box does nothing. It isn't RM using your letterbox as a bin, it is the person advertising.
Do you realise that if it is from RM it is the Queens mail unlike anything from anyone else. We are legally obliged to deliver anything someone has paid us to deliver. We cannot pick and choose. If I choose not to deliver an unaddressed item to you I am quilty of 'willful delay' which is a criminal offence. Posties when caught have been actually been prosecuted for this if not their first offence! It all kicked off a while back during an election campaign where we had to deliver pamphlets for the BNP. For some reason some of our ethnic posties didn't want to deliver it but were left with no option.
Gareth

EtchedPixels

Quote from: thebrighton on March 25, 2013, 08:15:26 PM
Sorry to drone on but if you think this is bad wait until we are privatised this year and profit for shareholders will finally erase what is left of a service. There won't be a 6 day delivery and if you dare to live in a rural area.......
Gareth

The rural areas get hit from April 2nd, they dump a "fuel surcharge" on contract stuff, which I guess will get described by many as a "Scottish surcharge" 8)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Lawrence

Mazda 3, 30000 miles, 39 months old and the bloody battery died  :veryangry: what the hell is that all about!  Is nothing built to last these days  >:(

scotsoft

Quote from: Lawrence on March 26, 2013, 08:45:36 AM
Mazda 3, 30000 miles, 39 months old and the bloody battery died  :veryangry: what the hell is that all about!  Is nothing built to last these days  >:(

You are not having a good year so far are you Lawrence!  :'(

Chinahand

Actually Junk Mail makes rather good papier mache so I just 'recycle. it that way.  :D
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

zwilnik

Quote from: Chinahand on March 26, 2013, 10:52:39 AM
Actually Junk Mail makes rather good papier mache so I just 'recycle. it that way.  :D

Actually, if they legislated that junk mail could only be printed on super soft Andrex, it could solve many problems :)

EtchedPixels

Quote from: Zwilnik on March 26, 2013, 11:40:55 AM
Actually, if they legislated that junk mail could only be printed on super soft Andrex, it could solve many problems :)

That would be brilliant. I'm tempted to write to the green party policy people 8)

Jack

Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Newportnobby

Quote from: Lawrence on March 26, 2013, 08:45:36 AM

Have you transferred your layout from the shed into your Mazda? :worried:

Lawrence

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations