Windows versions

Started by Dorsetmike, April 20, 2019, 04:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njee20

I did say it was the first link from Google - but there's plenty of reputable sources out there saying the same. W10 has been around for nearly 5 years now, and is (just) more widely used than W7, there's definitely some merit in what's being said. To be clear are you saying that they're wrong, and that W7 is identical to W10 in security?

I say that's a bold claim.

For a pretty new member how would you know how old I am, have you been here before perhaps...?

nookfield

Quote from: njee20 on April 23, 2019, 04:36:52 PM
I did say it was the first link from Google - but there's plenty of reputable sources out there saying the same. W10 has been around for nearly 5 years now, and is (just) more widely used than W7, there's definitely some merit in what's being said.

Win10 may have been around for 5 years but it gets reinstalled every 6 months (assuming MS don't mess it up as they did last time). 

To be clear are you saying that they're wrong, and that W7 is identical to W10 in security?

That's not what I am saying. All known vulnerabilities in Win7 have already been fixed. In Win10 Microsoft are still introducing them.

For a pretty new member how would you know how old I am, have you been here before perhaps...?

No I haven't been here before, but you are just as augmentative on the Facebook group where I have come across your postings. Nick something but I can't remember your surname.

themadhippy

QuoteThere's a suggestion that the hardware lasts longer but it'll take some years before I'm convinced of that. The excel spreadsheet gave Apple the cost advantage over a 5 year period (
But unlike a pc,when your internal graphics card is no longer supported by the latest os you cant just buy an off the shelf upgraded card.

Why do people still pay out £100 for an operating system when all they do is surf the net,  send and receive  emails and  scribble the odd spreadsheet? All can be done just as easy for £100 cheaper and require much less in machine specifications.
freedom of speech is but a  fallacy.it dosnt exist here

austinbob

I've always used versions of Windows since the inception of the internet and they all work fine for your average user.
OK - ME and Vista and Win 8 weren't the best of the bunch but they all worked satisfactorily with a bit of tuning.
Win 7 & 10 both seem pretty good to me for what I use my PC for. Yes they are slightly different but that's life. Everything changes all the time.
I've only ever had one virus detected on any of my computers over the years which was successfully binned by whatever virus app I was running at the time. Currently I run Win 10 on a somewhat long in the tooth Dell XP8300. I use the MS antivirus and Malwarebytes. Never had any problems so far.
My advice would be to use the latest version of Windows that can be supported by your hardware and just learn to work with any differences in function and operation that may entail. Don't worry about all this stuff- not worth the effort IMHO.
Now... Back to important things like building scenery for my layout.
;)
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

nookfield

Quote from: austinbob on April 23, 2019, 05:19:23 PM
I've only ever had one virus detected on any of my computers over the years which was successfully binned by whatever virus app I was running at the time.

I've also only ever had one (many years ago), that wasn't binned by AVG antivirus that I was running. it didn't take long to sort out and then swap the antivirus software I was using.

I think a lot depends on the type of websites that are frequented as to the likelihood of getting a virus/malware.

JanW

My advice would be to use the latest version of Windows that can be supported by your hardware and just learn to work with any differences in function and operation that may entail. Don't worry about all this stuff- not worth the effort IMHO.

Now this is the most sensible post I have seen in this thread.
Keep up with the latest and get used to it. If it seems too difficult: ask someone to help.
I help my aunt keeping her computer up to date. She's 89 years old and doesn't understand a thing about computers. Updates are installed automatically and it is really seldom that I have to go there and help her. Last time was when I finally convinced her to move from the Windows live mail app (unsupported since 2012..) to the in built W10 mail app. Most of the work was migrating her contacts but I could possibly have exported those. Took her about five minutes to understand how it works. And about five emails when I was home again  :)

njee20

Quote from: nookfield on April 23, 2019, 04:51:22 PM
That's not what I am saying. All known vulnerabilities in Win7 have already been fixed. In Win10 Microsoft are still introducing them.

Yes, and when new W7 ones come out they won't be patched. Simple. Hence following Austinbob's advice being common sense.

Nick something but I can't remember your surname.

Pot/kettle. It's Evans. I don't need to hide behind a pseudonym!

dannyboy

Now... Back to important things like building scenery for my layout.
[My italics]

Totally agree Bob.  Furthermore, speaking purely personally, I think this thread has gone on as much as it should.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Dorsetmike

QuoteI think this thread has gone on as much as it should.

I'll agree to that, I've not seen any absolutely convincing reason to change; "It ain't broke so why fix it?"
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

njee20

Because it will be broke...

austinbob

I think its more a accurate to say 'may' be broke. Perhaps there is a lower risk of a security problem if you use the latest windows version with all updates installed.
Also - Using a virus programme, malware detector and firewall is probably a good policy for any version of windows.
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

njee20

I'd suggest running an antivirus programme and firewall on any version of any OS, but yes.

It may become broken at some indeterminate point in the future, agreed, but that didn't work quite so eloquently with the "if it ain't broke" proverb! :)

W10 is virtually guaranteed to be more secure and faster, and to have various other improvements. If you're not fussed about those things (and again, that's entirely your prerogative) then crack on!

Bealman

Replying to post #38:

Well I'm still using Vista all these years on, and it ain't broke!

Even using Firefox when they said it wouldn't work with Vista a couple of years ago, and it ain't broke either!

So I'll stick with that, especially after my recent experience with surgery.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

red_death

First thing on google when looking for windows 7 vulnerability brings up this: https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/8/18256335/google-chrome-windows-against-zero-day-vulnerabilities-update

I'm sure MS will fix this (they've said they're working on a patch), but the point is that in the relatively near future (mid Jan 2020) all MS support for W7 finishes. At that point you really are on your own and around 1/3 of the PC market is still using W7.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations