paint pens

Started by guest311, December 13, 2019, 04:50:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest311

I recently bought a number of these, after seeing the same type used on a youtube 1/72 aircraft build video...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paint-Marker-Pen-Waterproof-Oil-Markers-Pens-Car-Tyre-Tire-Tyres-Metal-White/202330378421?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=502307524238

arrived today, and this afternoon gave them a try ...................

they are  :poop:

not at all a fine point, I could paint finer with paint and a decent brush...

a real job to get to actually supply paint, even after following the instructions, not something I am known for doing  :-[

so, on my experience do not touch these with a barge pole.

Paddy

Thanks for the heads up @class37025 - always good to hear about good and bad products.

Many thanks

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

njee20

I like the Posca ones, they're about a 1mm tip, so not crazy fine, but acceptable. I use them for lining without them looking ridiculous. A useful addition to the arsenal!

RailGooner

Another vote for Posca. :thumbsup:

Dorsetmike

Posca again, yo0u can get different size tips to suit different jobs.
If I want really fine lines I use a Rotring technical drawing pen and opaque inks,nibs from 0.1mm , then 0.13, 0.18 and upwards

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rotring-Isograph-Technical-Drawing-0-25mm/dp/B000USLJUC/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=rotring%2Bpens&qid=1576262072&sr=8-10&th=1
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

njee20

Bigmac

I bought a cheap pack of 3 pens...gold silver and copper. They have been ideal to paint the chimney rims and steam valve covers on UM western locos
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

guest311

Bigmac

I bought a cheap pack of 3 pens...gold silver and copper. They have been ideal to paint the chimney rims and steam valve covers on UM western locos
Quote from: class37025 on December 13, 2019, 07:30:09 PM
which ones ?
On eBay..3 for about £2:50. Can't remember which ones I bought.
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

RailGooner

You can find some good prices for Rotring on ebay now and again. I still only lust after them, never brave (nor flush) enough to click buy! :'(

chrism

They are pricey because they are good.
I used them years ago for technical drawing work, including producing the drawings from which some of the new side rods for Urie S15 No.499 were manufactured.

Never thought of using them with paint though, only indian ink.

RailGooner

Quote from: chrism on December 13, 2019, 08:34:40 PM

Not disputed - buy cheap, buy twice.

guest311

Quote from: RailGooner on December 13, 2019, 09:13:24 PM
Quote from: chrism on December 13, 2019, 08:34:40 PM

Not disputed - buy cheap, buy twice.

or never buy again  :veryangry:

Dorsetmike

Buy one (or two) Rotring pens and a selection of different size nibs.

The inks are available in the following colours

Yellow Red Green Brown White Blue Black,

I've used the pens with these inks to do lining on locos  - in the days when my hands were steadier!
Cheers MIKE
[smg id=6583]

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

njee20

Thanks Mike. How do they work on darker surfaces? One of my key uses of paint pens is cant rail lining or adding fine details onto painted models (ignoring the fact they don't do an orange ink). Someone recommended Pigma Micron pens, but I found them useless on darker finishes, the ink is nowhere near opaque enough.

I fear they'd clog very quickly if you used paint in them? The 0.2mm is only £16, tempted to try one if they're any good.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations