The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyline2uk

Had a couple doing the main routes here in North Bristol and I actually used multiple busses successfully yesterday.

Having said that, I didn't venture out in the car as our private section of the drive / road wasn't gritted and neither was the footpath.

I nearly went, as my mother used to say, "base over apex" several times.

Skyline2uk

PaulCheffus

Quote from: Browning 9mm on December 12, 2022, 10:37:04 AM

has anyone seen either a gritter, or even evidence of one, over the weekend ?

don't all resh to answer at once.

Hi

Yes last night gritting our roads

Cheers

Paul
Procrastination - The Thief of Time.

Workbench thread
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=54708.msg724969#msg724969

Browning 9mm

to be honest, I have really been trying to stay away from here, or if I do post / reply I write it down first, revise, and the toss a coin as to whether or not to post....

but....

today I rad reason [dangerously icy roads [x2] with a downhill 90 degree junction, parked cars and all with polished sheet ice.

now there are quite a few elderly and infirm people living in our road, and yes I am one of them, so it is a not uncommon to see ambulances picking up or dropping off patients here.

I went down to Tesco's this morning, in the forlorn hope that stuff that was out of stock tuesday might be back in stock  :dunce:, and on the way up the road, met a car coming down the road past a row of parked cars, so I stopped to let him through. the driver stopped alongside me and said to watch out on the corner, it like glass.
he then drove off down the road slowly.
I engaged 1st gear just enough revs to not stall the engine, and released my brakes.....

it's amazing to see a Volvo XC70 all wheel drive car sitiing with all four wheels slowly spinning  :-[

it's great in 6 inches of snow, but sheet ice it is   :hmmm: well 'sheet'. >:(

managed to back down a bit, turn round, and went off out of the bottom of the road.

on my return I decided to see if we could get a bit of grit / salt on at least the corner before someone parked their fire engine / ambulance / home shopping van / car in someone's front room.

town council ...."we only salt pavements, but we are not today, all off sick, try Mid Sussex"

Mid Sussex ..."is it the road or the pavement ?" both " have you tried the town council for the pavement ?"
yes, they referred me to you.
"oh, we don't do roads, have you tried West Sussex ?"

click brrrr 1..2...3...
West Sussex highways ...after 4 minutes of  :-X options  "is it an A road or a B road ?"
it's residential
"Oh we don't grit them, only A & B roads"

:headbutt: :headbutt: :headbutt: :headbutt: :headbutt: :headbutt: :headbutt: :headbutt:

your honour, I will curtail my rant at this point, and seek solace in scottish water, yet again  :*( :*( :*(

Skyline2uk

@Browning 9mm

So long as you are safe and warm, you have also done you best to be a good citizen in the face of obvious Incompetence (with a capital I).

All you can now do is take note of who you spoke to and when, so that if and when something unpleasant was to happen you can sight evidence.

Unbelievable that after a week or so of cold the roads cannot be safe.

Skyline2uk

Newportnobby

Quote from: Browning 9mm on December 15, 2022, 03:36:35 PM
your honour, I will curtail my rant at this point, and seek solace in scottish water, yet again  :*( :*( :*(

Note - seeking solace in Scottish water and driving on any road (perfectly dry or icy) is not to be condoned ;)

Browning 9mm

when we moved here in '97 the highways did the main roads and bus routes, and a local farmer used to do the residential roads with a tractor with a gritter on the back.
might not be till the second or even third day.
and the town council would do the pavements

course someone had to pay the farmer,  :hmmm:
and the council had to buy grit/salt :hmmm:

but it worked.

local highways depots, remember them ?, would send out road gangs with tippers full of grit/salt with a couple of guys in the back with shovels, or demountable gritting inserts instead.

of course now no local depots, no council road gangs, and no chance of getting anything done, by the look of it.

what a shower of incompetent  :-X there are in charge now.

wonder if they will worry though when it's time to up the council tax, and people say 'no chance, we don't even have safe roads in winter'.

oh, and yes, yours truely did advise the west sussex highways 'advisor' that I was noting her name, and the time and content of my call, and that in the event of any incident, sworn copies would be provided to any persons involved for the purposes of any litigation ensuing  :bounce:

Browning 9mm

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 15, 2022, 03:56:01 PM

Note - seeking solace in Scottish water and driving on any road (perfectly dry or icy) is not to be condoned ;)

your honour,
my vehicule is safly parked on my front garden, though I may need to plead later to being DICOAH

drunk in charge of a huskie  :beers:

The Q

It's about a mile and a half from our house to the first road that is ever gritted and that's rarely, another 2.5 miles to roads which are regularly gritted.
That being said last night's rain hail and snow sat on top of any grit used and it was extremely slippery all the 25 miles  into work.
Thankfully I'll never have to do that again

dannyboy

Quote from: Newportnobby on December 15, 2022, 03:56:01 PM

Definitely not advised. Doing them both at the same time will only have one outcome if you come across any 'sheet' - you will spill your drink!

Legal footnote. I am in no way suggesting or advocating that people do them both together - do one after the other, in the correct order.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

stevewalker

Well, having had a delivery of three items stuck in Evri's system for three weeks, the supplier cancelled the order and we bought elsewhere. However, I probably now know what is going on - today I arrived home from work and found 5 parcels, to random addresses, in more than one town, dumped on our driveway. I have tried to phone and webchat Evri about them, but every option is filtered through a chatbot - which won't let you proceed without a tracking number and so I can't even report them as dumped!

Newportnobby

I was only reading earlier of a mass of parcels stolen from the Evri depot at Maidstone which had then been fly tipped. (Not Maidstone - the parcels)

acook

NN don't give RM ideas about solving thier backlog..............

Newportnobby

Quote from: acook on December 16, 2022, 06:15:05 PM
NN don't give RM ideas about solving thier backlog..............

Seems you've managed to totally confuse @Browning 9mm as he's rated the above post with a like, a dislike and an agree :-X

Browning 9mm

your honour,
I plead age / digital interface malfunction.

I have corrected my 'score' to the correct ones.

I crave your pardon, m'lud :-[

Malc

The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations