The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

Quote from: Crooked Spire on August 07, 2016, 08:31:42 PM
Quote from: austinbob on August 07, 2016, 08:20:15 PM
So sports fans win again... Why???

Not enough to screw main TV channels up for the Olympics - ITV Midsomer murders has been delayed because of a football match.

Why oh Why do sports fans get preference over the rest of the viewers.
There are several BBC and ITV channels with RUBBISH being televised and the TV powers that be could easily scrap the  cr :censored: and show sports on these extra channels without screwing up everyone elses viewing.

Every time there's sports on (Wimbledon, Euro 2016, Olympics, Tiddlywinks you name it!!) the rest of the viewing public have to suffer. Nuffs enuff folks.
:veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:

But it was only a repeat.
It was the only thing left that was worth watching - everything else was SSSpppoooorrrrrtttt!!!! AHhhhh!!!!
:thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

dannyboy

What annoys me about the BBC is that when a major event is being shown, it goes on BBC1 - BBC1 programmes are moved to BBC2 and BBC2 programmes are 'shelved'. Why not leave BBC1 alone and just show the event on BBC2. I would think that everyone who can get BBC1 can get BBC2  ???. And another thing, just before I left home to come to work, the Olympics was on, (don't ask - but SWMBO likes some of it ::)), and the presenter, (I forget her name), was almost apologetic saying that viewers would have to go to BBC2 because the news was coming on! Okay, that's my rant - still, there is only another 12 (?) days of it  :'(.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Newportnobby

I was wondering who'd be the first to have a grizzle about a sporting event that happens only every 4 years. Don't get me wrong - my sports tastes are extremely limited so don't even get me started on golf :no: But the Olympics has been going for many, many years and is always presented with plenty of notice so go and buy/borrow some boxed sets/record as much stuff as you want/need to not watch sport.
I found it such a tragedy I had to watch the ladies beach volleyball earlier on today :heart2:

Let's face it, so much current telly is repeats that if you watch the Olympics at least you haven't seen it before (unless you're absently mindedly watching the morning repeats of the previous days action)

Just as a suggestion I think the BBC ought to place more sport on the red button.

Malc

When I worked for the organisation, I was paid to watch BBC 1 & 2 (no 3 or 4 in those days). Now at least I get a choice. Missed the beach volley ball though.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Skyline2uk

Not really bothered about sport on the telly, but others are so that's fair enough (I miss free-view F1 seasons).

But

What will irk me is if it turns out that safety was compromised in events like the cycling were two competitors have now been badly hurt (men's yesterday, women's today). Yes sport can be dangerous but surely every precaution that can be taken should be, and if that was not the case (I have no facts so await any investigation) then it's not good enough.

Skyline2uk

Mito

The Dutch rider who fell today is OK. But for both races the lack of police control was obvious and the course was not to Olympic standards. The bends in the down hill section where all the accidents occurred were poorly protected and dangerous.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Webbo

I have only a limited interest in sport mainly rugby union and ice hockey, but I think that the Olympics is quite OK. You get to see the best in the world at tiddlywinks, and women's beach volleyball and all kinds of other sports you don't normally get to see. The whole thing is quite entrancing though I'm happy the whole circus only comes round once every 4 years. We're only a day or so in and the Olympics have already wrecked my daily schedule.

Webbo

Bealman

Yeah but it's worth having your schedule spoiled when the Aussies break the world record in the women's swimming relay!   :)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Bealman

However, while on things Olympic, I get annoyed when sports like tennis are introduced and then see Serena Williams who must be worth millions, whacking our little Aussie girl.  >:(

Professionals like her should not be allowed in the Olympic games. But I guess it's the same with football.

NinOz

Quote from: newportnobby on August 07, 2016, 10:19:18 PM

I found it such a tragedy I had to watch the ladies beach volleyball earlier on today :heart2:
So you passed the heart stress test ok?
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

zwilnik

Quote from: Bealman on August 08, 2016, 07:21:15 AM
However, while on things Olympic, I get annoyed when sports like tennis are introduced and then see Serena Williams who must be worth millions, whacking our little Aussie girl.  >:(

Professionals like her should not be allowed in the Olympic games. But I guess it's the same with football.

The Olympics (TM) is far from an amateur organisation though. They're suing any businesses that tweet about the games (even when congratulating their teams) as they're all trademarked and can only be used by the official sponsors. Those sponsors btw, don't pay *any* tax in the country that hosts the games for the year. That being part of the deal for hosting the Olympics (TM).

austinbob

I was wondering who'd be the first to have a grizzle about a sporting event that happens only every 4 years. Don't get me wrong - my sports tastes are extremely limited so don't even get me started on golf :no: But the Olympics has been going for many, many years and is always presented with plenty of notice so go and buy/borrow some boxed sets/record as much stuff as you want/need to not watch sport.

Let's face it, so much current telly is repeats that if you watch the Olympics at least you haven't seen it before (unless you're absently mindedly watching the morning repeats of the previous days action)

Just as a suggestion I think the BBC ought to place more sport on the red button.
The problem NN is that its not just the Olympics. Every major sports event seems to take priority over everything else. Those less interested in sports are continually having their normal viewing schedules cancelled or moved and non-sports lovers appear to be second class citizens when it comes to telly schedules.
There are plenty of BBC and ITV channels. Surely its not beyond the mental capacity of these organisations to schedule sports without affecting the normal schedules of the main channels.
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Bealman

Zwilnik:

Yeah, I sort of know all that, basically there is no such thing as an amateur at the pinnacle of sport.... even athletics.

However it really annoyed me to see that Serena Williams there.

I wouldn't participate out of modesty.

Obviously she does not think like that.... more like, "Hey, I'm a multimillionaire  but I'm doing the world and the USA a favour here.... I'm performing for FREE!"  :thumbsup:

Newportnobby

I feel sick to my heart about the course used for the road cycling event as, although it was 'savage' to use Chris Froome's words, it was a good course but the safety aspects had not been addressed properly by the organisers and the UCI, resulting in severe injuries to contenders.

Quote from: Bealman on August 08, 2016, 07:21:15 AM

There are professionals in many of the events and I don't think tennis should be singled out. Amateurs will be drawn against the likes of Andy Murray and pro golfers, cyclists etc so no longer is the Olympic movement purely for the true amateur :no:

Quote from: NinOz on August 08, 2016, 08:21:34 AM

So you passed the heart stress test ok?

The docs had told me to watch it to see if I suffered any adverse effects but I was just fine apart from it taking 24 hours for the smile to fade from my face :)

Quote from: austinbob on August 08, 2016, 10:11:34 AM

The problem NN is that its not just the Olympics. Every major sports event seems to take priority over everything else.

I guess it's tough if you don't like sport of any kind. Although I grumble about Wimbledon, The Open or snooker taking up so much of the schedules I confess to watching the World Cup footie (again only every 4 years) and will watch any cricket/motor sport/cycling on the telly (thanks heavens for ITV4) so I suppose it depends on what sport, if any, you like.

Quote from: austinbob on August 08, 2016, 10:11:34 AM

There are plenty of BBC and ITV channels. Surely its not beyond the mental capacity of these organisations to schedule sports without affecting the normal schedules of the main channels.
:beers:

I tend to agree with you there, Bob, especially when you get both BBC and ITV1 screening the same Euro 2016 footie final, the only difference being the 'pundits/experts'. That one really gets me mad :censored:
Having said that, have the soaps been affected? The main time I tend to notice schedule changes is when I am looking forward to progs about antiques or quiz shows.

talisman56

Quote from: Mito on August 07, 2016, 10:59:08 PM
The Dutch rider who fell today is OK. But for both races the lack of police control was obvious and the course was not to Olympic standards. The bends in the down hill section where all the accidents occurred were poorly protected and dangerous.

I wouldn't call three fractured bones in the lower back 'OK'...
Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations