The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebrighton

I know what I want for Christmas. A new boiler! The darn thing has been showing its age recently and on Sunday it finally died and no amount of resuscitation will bring it back to life. That's £3k less for modelling purposes. Just glad it's quite mild at the moment as no heating. At least the tank has an emersion heater not that it's ever been used so we'll see how long it lasts providing hot water. Aaaaaaaargh!
Gareth

daveg

Sympathies Gareth.

If you have an off peak meter, get an immersion timer so you can run the thing over night and save a fair bit. It's what we have (to do). Don't buy a cheapo version though as it takes a big kick on start up.

Hope I'm 'not teaching granny'.  ;)

Dave G

MikeDunn

Quote from: austinbob on December 21, 2015, 09:32:57 PM
I think we are tiptoeing onto dangerous ground here Mike.
Well, ya did say ...  ::)

Quote from: newportnobby on December 21, 2015, 09:35:02 PM
I guess most of the sports I like have priced themselves out of the range of the terrestrial channels.
Aye, and it seems to be pure greed by the relevant controlling bodies  :(

Quote from: thebrighton on December 22, 2015, 05:32:26 AM
I know what I want for Christmas. A new boiler! The darn thing has been showing its age recently and on Sunday it finally died and no amount of resuscitation will bring it back to life.
Ouch !  :thumbsdown:  Hope you have a boiler plan for it ?  Our "new" one committed hari kiri a few winters ago; fortunately, it was under warranty and the mfr admitted they screwed up on design & assembly (wrong metals used together in the system, resulting in catastrophic corrosion); they paid for a brand new one to be fitted (with compatible metals), but it took a couple of weeks to get it done  :thumbsdown: 

Hoping you don't have the same delays !!!

thebrighton

Mike - No, no boiler plan but it was 16 years old and living on borrowed time. It hasn't really been a surprise as the model was notorious for breaking down but we have been lucky.

Daveg - no off peak meter but with regard to the heating I'm always telling SWMBO to put a jumper on if she's cold (whilst running for cover!)

Gareth

jonclox

>:D People who loose the ends of sticky tape rolls and chuck the roll back in the  bag with all the wrapping paper :veryangry: :censored: :veryangry:
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

mr bachmann

idiots that dump their unwanted last years sofa's outside the garage doors  :veryangry:

jonclox

John A GOM personified
Ruleoneshire

thebrighton

Arrived at in-laws at 10.55 Christmas day to smell of dinner cooking then from 11.10 until after 3 joined the rest of the area in a power cut! No idea when it would return as they're out in the sticks so no mobile signal. Many dinners ruined so had Christmas dinner consisting of veg (gas hob) and cold ham covered in gravy to warm it up. I'd not been looking forward to a day with the in-laws anyway so no telly and gloom due to the storm clouds outside meant a cracking Christmas was had by all.
Thankfully not as bad as the poor souls with no power and flood water to contend with.
Gareth

jonclox

Took my empty water glass into the bathroom with me before coming down to breakfast and at the same time managed (after well over 30 years) to convert it into something brand new......
Its now been modified (using one of my man skills) into an ex- tumbler.
I am not popular   :doh: :doh: I only dropped it a little way
John A GOM personified
Ruleoneshire

Malc

It's curious that they call them "tumblers" because in my experience (and in Jon's) they don't actually tumble, more plummet. There is certainly no bouncing involved.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Tom U

An optimist says the glass is half full
A pessimist says the glass is half empty
A pragmatist says the glass is twice as big as it needs to be
A fumble fingers says the glass is now a jigsaw puzzle and any content is now liberated onto the floor

dannyboy

Quote from: jonclox on January 14, 2016, 01:33:16 PM

Its now been modified (using one of my man skills) into an ex- tumbler.

At least it was empty ;). Depending on the bathroom floor covering, you could have converted that as well, into either a soggy mess or a skid pan  ;D. David.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

Oldun

Don't you just love  :censored: power cuts  :veryangry:

Had a local one lasting 23/4 hrs and  :censored: missed bidding on 3 N gauge loco's  :veryangry:

Roger
Never take Life too serious, we are never going to make it out alive

Chocolate comes from cocoa which is a tree ... that makes it a plant which means ... chocolate is Salad !!!

Chris Morris

This is more somewhat peeved than angry.
I'm exhibiting at Stafford show and buy a new loco, as you do. When I looked at it later there were no couplings so I went back to the vendor. He was fine and noticed that there was no bag of bits so he got me a bag from another loco. I go away happy.
I come to run the loco when I get home and it runs rather slowly. I should point out that I run DCC. I had already lightly oiled the bogies so I removed them and lightly oiled the worm drives and bearings. Still runs slowly and after half an hour of running it's still slow and the plastic body is warm to the touch. So I remove the body and find a chip inside.
This will be fine as I will get a blanking plug from a DCC friend and he will gain a chip, but buying a new loco should not include this much faffing around.
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

daveg

We're back online after 3 weeks without broadband thanks to a BT screw-up at the local exchange.

Trying to get anything sorted over the phone is virtually impossible as all you get is someone reading from a script that results in 'a line fault'.

The second of 4 OpenReach engineers involved found that there was 'no BB sync' at the exchange but wasn't allowed to reset the thing as it wasn't on his job sheet.

Desperate to leave BT ASAP but limited alternatives around here!

Dave G

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations