Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newportnobby

Sheesh! What a palaver. :goggleeyes:
Hope they can sort you out.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: paulprice on July 23, 2015, 02:07:23 PM
or IZAL paper
Wow! that's a blast from the past, dont tell me you can still buy it ?
News of the World was infinitly better but more recent.

DELETED

Well I'm still job hunting -very difficult for us ginger beers at the moment. If I could go back I would never have done a degree until I was time-served first.  I can't even find any jobs to even apply for now, even speculatively.

I down-graded my car the other week for something newer and cheaper long-term (cheaper to run, cheaper VED, cheaper insurance and 11 years newer -I was offered a trade-in on my Nissan I couldn't really afford to miss).  The other day the rear wash pipe blew and was soaking my clutch foot each time I used the washer (god knows why they route the pipe under the dash).  Garaged fixed it under warranty -no probs, but when I got it back they left greasy paw prints all over the very minty light grey head lining so it had to go back again for cleaning -luckily it all came out fine today -but I noticed the parcel shelf is broken now and it was OK beforehand!

I'm temping and my agency sent me a text saying they noticed I'm not claiming expenses for travel to work this past month.  They run a scheme through HMRC where I can claim petrol money for commuting because I'm just a temp.  When I went through the figures with them I could get a decent (gross) amount back each month adjusted through my tax bracket -but their admin fee for processing it is knocking on for 1,000% of the net return I'd actually get get!  Not even worth pursuing with them, £2 net return for a £20 admin fee each week PFFF  I'm not that desperate yet!!!!!!

Nothing is simple these days is it.

MalcolmInN

Quote from: RST on July 23, 2015, 11:22:10 PMNothing is simple these days is it.
So very true.
sorry for your tribulations.
cant think of a suitable emoticon to add, hope things get better soon.

Sprintex

Quote from: RST on July 23, 2015, 11:22:10 PM
Well I'm still job hunting -very difficult for us ginger beers at the moment. If I could go back I would never have done a degree until I was time-served first.  I can't even find any jobs to even apply for now, even speculatively.

Know the feeling with job hunting, I too am in temporary employment and even the jobs I do apply for have 40+ applications in most cases. I know someone has to get it but the longer it goes on the less relevant experience I have  :(

By the way, I don't know what "ginger beers" refers to there but it stands for something very different down here! ;)

Paul

daveg

I suspect that's Engineers, Paul.  :D

Dave G

MikeDunn

Quote from: newportnobby on July 23, 2015, 10:37:48 PM
Sheesh! What a palaver. :goggleeyes:
Hope they can sort you out.
Oh aye ...  SWMBO's not amused (we were almost at the end of making tea when they called back - I was mashing spuds & she was getting the bangers from under the grill - tea delayed by an hour, you can imagine the looks I was getting  :worried:), and the messing about getting stats etc after tea took me to 9 ...

Still a bit narked on the wireless signal out of the PN box; but it seems the modern receivers (like the RasPi one, and my works laptop) are OK with it - just my old ones that aren't ... :worried:  So I think it'll be Powerline or similar & I'll just let tablets use the WLAN !  Doubt PN will offer anything other than what they've already sent.

Now ... where can I get a 3-pack of Powerlines that have two Ethernet ports each as well as mains pass-through ...  ::)

lionwing

The dark art of internet connections!

I can appreciate why speeds can vary so dramatically with a small area but after twenty years of so of the 'net been available domestically you would hope they had it down to a much finer art!

Have a look at ebuyer for the equipment you need.
Richard - Stop before the buffers!

Jerry Howlett

Quote from: MikeDunn on July 23, 2015, 10:23:26 PM

Ran some speed tests this morning, and was getting about 1Mb up & 10Mb down (not bad for a connection that's supposed to be 6Mb !!!).  With fibre, I was seeing 2Mb up (hmmm - well, faster but hardly the 20Mb promised ... but maybe that's part of the 10 day "settling in" stuff  :uneasy: ).  The down speed was a whopping 2Mb :smackedface: ... say what  :censored: .  Gave it a while, and it ranged from 0.5Mb to 2.2Mb  :censored:  Not happy - an 80% decrease over ADSL !!!  :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:

Gave the ISP a call (PlusNet), and after 35 minutes queued up :scowl: had the phone answered ... ran through a bunch of stuff with the guy, & he agreed things weren't looking right ...  He went off to get some tests done, & called back about 30 mins later.  We ran through more tests, and after almost an hour we'd determined that SWMBO's tablet on wireless hits 40Mb down & just under 20Mb up when a few foot away from the device - but a rapid drop-off moving away.  Seeing as wireless had always been pretty good (when on the old kit ...) I'm blaming this PN kit  :thumbsdown:

So he arranges for 2nd/3rd line to call me before Monday :hmmm: & I have my tea ... after which I start "playing" ...

Plugging a lappie straight into the BT modem, I get 12Mb up and 75Mb down - now that's more like it !  Except all the systems are in other rooms, not in the hallway (that's why we have wireless  ::)) !  Swap into the PN router - 75Mb down & 15Mb up  :thumbsup:  OK, so on LAN it's not  :poop:

Check SWMBO's PC on wireless - 5Mb down, 4.5Mb up  :worried:  Swap in the wireless dongle for the RasPi and it goes to 0.15 down & 2.25 up  :computerangry:  Move back to my PC, and the normal dongle is 5.6Mb down & 5.8Mb up; using the RasPi dongle it's 17Mb down & 15Mb up  :confused2:

The moral of the story ?  Stick with ADSL !!!  Don't use wireless with PN kit  :headbutt:  Looks like I'll have to buy me either a decent fibre wireless router (as my ADSL one apparently can't function with the BT modem)  or I get a set of Powerline modules ...  ARGH !!!  Will see what PN say, maybe they'll send me a decent box - or maybe not !  :hmmm:

Well here in the mountains Mrs "H" found the TV link "buffering about every 5 mins or more. So I ran a speed test our Internet speed has dropped from the acceptable 2 to 3 (if you are lucky) Mbps to abysmal. Checked my neighbours link it was the same.  Called our helpful...provider to be told after 20 mins if I wanted a technician to come out I would have to pay Euro 60.  Explained again that it could not be MY system no joy.  This morning at 07:00 it was back to its rapid self, just tested it now 0  yes 0.25Mbps.  So its just as well the beer and wine is cheap or we would be putting a for sale sign up.

Rant over.

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Malc

The problems with slow speed on Wifi is usually caused by which of the 802.11 types it used. Things progress quickly and new routers use 802.11n, but often still supply earlier formats like b and g, which older devices use and are much slower. It's a PITA.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

Jerry Howlett

The only "Fibre" around here is found in cereal packets.

Speed this morning was a whopping 2.81 !  crack open the virtual champagne.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

paulprice

Well the old Jam-Jar was booked in for a service today, at my local excellent garage. Dropped if off at 8am received phone call at 9:05am saying it need two new tyres and two new wheel bearings, so I'm expecting a £500 bill.

Bloody FORDS, but the good news they have all the parts

zopadooper

Fancy wearing the tyres out!!!  Why not leave it in teh garage, they will last much longer

paulprice

Don't get me started, after the weekend I now have proof that I am the only normal person on the world

jonclox

Collected my new super dooper  inhaler on Saturday afternoon :-[My GP told me to go in person to the chemist so its workings could be explained.  Well I did understand the instructions and came home happy with it.
Snag is I havnt enough breath power to make it work so I'm still on the old inhaler. Must go and see her about it and see what the alternatives are
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP