The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EtchedPixels

No trouble here with shredded paper but you could write to your MP or the local rag and point out the council is encouraging identify theft and failing to be anti-crime etc 8-)

Alternatively if you mix your shreddings with water and PVA it makes fine mush for casting into lightweight scenery!

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Michael Shillabeer

Swindon Borough Council in their wisdom now only collect rubbish and recycling once a fortnight now. Up until a few weeks ago recycling was weekly.

Garden waste is only collected if you pay an extra £40/year on top of council tax.

The council consulted with us apparently and we said we liked the idea...

I put some shot offcuts of steel studding into the metal recycling box, but it was carefully removed and left behind!

Best regards
Michael

Agrippa

Where I live the local bin men are so flippin' useless you could put a corpse in the wheelie bin and they wouldn't notice.
Nothing is certain but death and taxes -Benjamin Franklin

ParkeNd

Quote from: Agrippa on March 26, 2014, 07:57:34 AM
Where I live the local bin men are so flippin' useless you could put a corpse in the wheelie bin and they wouldn't notice.

Wheelie bin?  Wheelie bin!!  That sounds like 1990s chuck it all in together rubbish removal. Pure heaven.

Sprintex

That's all we have, two wheelie bins: one for black sacks of non-recyclable rubbish, and one for cans, plastics, cardboard and paper. Collected on rotation every week :)

Glass has to be taken to the recycle bins at Tesco down the road ;)

Paul

ParkeNd

Quote from: Michael Shillabeer on March 24, 2014, 11:47:48 AM
Swindon Borough Council in their wisdom now only collect rubbish and recycling once a fortnight now. Up until a few weeks ago recycling was weekly.

Garden waste is only collected if you pay an extra £40/year on top of council tax.

The council consulted with us apparently and we said we liked the idea...

I put some shot offcuts of steel studding into the metal recycling box, but it was carefully removed and left behind!

Best regards
Michael

I like the reference to consultation. They probably did that before applying the £40 charge here. Probably asked a handful of Labour voters in the Rhonda if they should apply the charge in Monmouth and they said "Yeah screw 'em. They're all English anyway. Do 'em with the Council Tax increase as well"

EtchedPixels

Quote from: ParkeNd on March 26, 2014, 09:45:05 AM
Probably asked a handful of Labour voters in the Rhonda

Is that a sort of car ?

If you mean a place in Wales then you need to learn to spell  :P

Much of South Wales has fortnightly collection for waste, with recycling likewise, but some types each week and only food weekly. Seems to work fine.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Bealman

Unfortunately, where I live, they found a teenager's body in one.

But, I guess that could happen anywhere in the world.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

ParkeNd

Quote from: Bealman on March 26, 2014, 10:15:47 AM

Unfortunately, where I live, they found a teenager's body in one.

But, I guess that could happen anywhere in the world.

That sounds like planned recycling George. In the films it's usually a skip.

Bealman

Unfortunately, it WAS a wheelie bin. Not good.

ParkeNd

Quote from: EtchedPixels on March 26, 2014, 09:48:01 AM
Quote from: ParkeNd on March 26, 2014, 09:45:05 AM
Probably asked a handful of Labour voters in the Rhonda

Is that a sort of car ?

If you mean a place in Wales then you need to learn to spell  :P

Much of South Wales has fortnightly collection for waste, with recycling likewise, but some types each week and only food weekly. Seems to work fine.

Alan

It's the phone not having a Welsh spell checker!!  Merthyr Tydfil.

Bealman

But hey, let's keep angry, not morbid.  :thumbsup:

woodbury22uk

We managed to get our landfill waste down to less than one cubic foot per fortnight so we downsized to a grannie bin (my wife can move it easily) which is also ideal for filling with compressed hedge clippings when I take these to the tip. The grannie bin fits easily in the back of the car.

Our recycling is all in one bin and then sorted at a massive plant next to the M5. Apparently this form of recycling is called co-mingling so that the purity of the individual recycling streams is lower because of cross-contamination. It does not allow food waste which goes into our compost or EcoCone anyway. Works well for us.

When fortnightly collections were introduced, some people complained that they got a lot of flies and vermin around their bins. Seems it was due to putting unwrapped food waste into their bins, which seems a bit clueless to me, unless you were going to cover it with a shovel full of hot ashes like we did when we had metal bins and more coal fires.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Bealman

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

But Mark Knofler's song "5.15 am" comes to mind.

In a way, I like the way that there is humour in the mining history of the UK - many folk paid, as Knopfler sings, "the price of coal."

I grew up with miners, and the landscape Knopfler describes.... they worked hard for their living.

Kipper

I live amongst a lot of ex-miners. Most were glad the mines shut, so they could get out of the pit and spend their redundancy money on a new career. The others were pleased, as they were able to pee their redundancy money up the wall!

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations