The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

:laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost:

Yeah, but it's sad, eh. By the time I get to the 4th test in Durham next month it'll probably be cancelled
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

MikeDunn

Quite likely, after all they may as well pack up & fly home  >:D

On the other hand, they're getting some good coaching on how to do it properly  :P  >:D

(Just watch - England will now collapse on all remaining matches !  :doh:)

Bealman

I will be watching with interest  :thumbsup:

petercharlesfagg

On my way home from work today on an A road with a limit of 50 mph, mine and 5 other vehicles were overtaken by a motorcyclist across a road junction.

The motorcyclist was going SO fast that it was impossible to catch even a glimpse of the number plate!

Why should I think about motorcyclists like this driver?

It would only take one car driver to have turned Right at the head of the queue or someone to pull out from the junction and there could have been an almighty accident!

I might add that there are masses of signs to warn of the junction which is hidden by hedges.

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

Sprintex

Some of them (and I emphasise the word some) are suicidal  :no:

I cringe on my delivery route most mornings sitting in the northbound queue for the Blackwall Tunnel as motorbike after motorbike whizzes between the lines of crawling traffic at stupid speeds. Only takes one motorist to change lanes suddenly, or a biker to misjudge the gap between door mirrors, and there goes another airborne biker. There's an accident involving a bike here on average about once a week!

Paul

scotsoft

Bealman

That is ridiculously bad. The worst thing about it is the idiot could kill someone else as well as himself.

Caz

That standard of riding is pretty standard for over here, red lights and traffic signs are totally ignored by a lot of motorcyclists, they all seem to have a death wish.

I firmly believe that you shouldn't be able to get a motor cycle licence until you have had a car licence for a couple of years as motor cyclists tend to carry their bad habits over to their car driving.

I have actually been second in the queue when traffic lights have gone red, a motor cycle 2 behind me drives onto the pavement and goes past the lights on the pavement and swings back on the road, he couldn't go down the outside as traffic was queueing in the opposite direction.  Had almost the same with a couple of cars but they have overtaken the stream of cars on the offside as they wanted to jump the lights and not wait in the queue.  Unbelievable.
Caz
layout here
Claywell, High Hackton & Bampney Intro
Hackton info
Bampney info

FeelixTC

There has been an advertising/awareness campaign running for some years now which simply says:

Think Bike.

Fair enough, it's a good point.

But may I propose another similar campaign, but with a polar opposite audience:

Think, Biker.

mereman

Problem is the bad habits are not all on one side.

As I was taken out by an old boy who "I saw him but I thought I had time", this when for once I was under the limit coming out of Norwich. The gent didn't start to move until I was less then 50 yards away and just drove into my path.

Another was on the A143 going towards Diss just near Earsham. This is a wide road there was nothing my side but a stream of traffic coming towards me. A car started to overtake, no problem I just moved over a bit to give him/her room when another car started to overtake the car that was overtaking, I ended up almost off the road. Just the wrong side of the white line on the edge of the road.

Yet another when a van driver took a dislike to me and waited until I was level with him before he tried to force me off the road by turning, on a dead straight road, towards me and I ended up almost off the road on the wrong side. I had checked that he had seen me before starting to overtake, I could see his eyes in his mirror.

All of these on large bikes (two on a BMW R100S one on a Moto Guzzi Le Mans) so I would hope should have been easy to see, if none of the drivers saw me then they shouldn't have been driving.

I could go on but won't.

I will agree there's a lot of Bikers who are mad, and I'm sorry to say a lot are "born again bikers", people who have gone back to bikes, I've been a Motorcyclist since I was old enough to have a license over 43years now. I can drive but I hate driving. 
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

Newportnobby

Quote from: whiteswan on July 29, 2013, 01:27:22 PM

I firmly believe that you shouldn't be able to get a motor cycle licence until you have had a car licence for a couple of years as motor cyclists tend to carry their bad habits over to their car driving.

I have to take issue with you there, Caz.
I rode motorcycles for 15 years or so (didn't take my car test until I was 29) and firmly believe having been a biker makes you a better car driver.
I also dislike threads like this as there are good and bad in each camp and blaming one set or the other is just pointless

mereman

Quote from: newportnobby on July 29, 2013, 03:49:25 PM
Quote from: whiteswan on July 29, 2013, 01:27:22 PM

I have to take issue with you there, Caz.
I rode motorcycles for 15 years or so (didn't take my car test until I was 29) and firmly believe having been a biker makes you a better car driver.
I also dislike threads like this as there are good and bad in each camp and blaming one set or the other is just pointless

Agreed Mick, bikes makes you read the road, "is that oil ahead?" that is still with me I'm always looking at the surface* even in the tin can :D

*Just to make clear I do look elsewhere not just the road surface :smiley-laughing:  sometimes...... :goggleeyes:
I keep forgetting to add Cheers Mike on the end of my posts....

So.....  Cheers Mike

EddieA

Quote from: FeelixTC on July 29, 2013, 01:40:54 PM
There has been an advertising/awareness campaign running for some years now which simply says:

Think Bike.

Fair enough, it's a good point.

But may I propose another similar campaign, but with a polar opposite audience:

Think, Biker.

How about a 'we car and motorcyclists are all road users campaign'? And we show a bit of consider to those who pay to use Britain's roads? OK I am a car driver and always have been but I do check that it is safe to turn, pull out etc. But the times a pedal cyclist has not done the same???

"I owe the discovery of Uqbar to the meeting of a mirror and an encyclopaedia".
(Jorge Luis Borges - 'El jardin de senderos que se bifurcan' 1941)

FeelixTC

My point was not made in an inflammatory manner; rather, to point out that there are good and bad drivers and riders. I've seen all four.
We *all* have a duty to take appropriate care, responsibility and, perhaps most importantly; concentration.
Drivers *need* to take extra care for riders, some of them are stupid.
And riders; you need to think about idiots in cars.

Newportnobby

Quote from: FeelixTC on July 29, 2013, 08:48:21 PM

Drivers *need* to take extra care for riders, some of them are stupid.
And riders; you need to think about idiots in cars.

Entirely my point, Feelix.
When I rode a bike I treated everyone else on the road as an idiot - and survived my 2 wheel period. I now apply the same logic to driving a car, and it's amazing how often someone does exactly what you believed they were going to do. Having been a sales rep (yep, all mouth and motorway) for many years you get a sort of 6th sense regarding what folks are likely to do

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations