The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence

Our bins now get emptied between 6am and 9pm, which means we have to put it out the night before and yesterday I checked at 20:45 and it still wasn't emptied, didn't check this morning so it can flaming well wait there all day till I get home  >:(

Jerry Howlett

Luckily up here in the mountains we have communial bins as most of the village is inaccessible to even a small dustcart. We have 4 different bins card/paper, Bottle bank that includes (Glass/metal/plastic), general rubbish and now a kitchen oil recycling bin!   For some strange reason they added an extra bottle bank soon after we moved here :pint: No idea why!!!!
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

H

Quote from: EtchedPixels on February 28, 2013, 09:54:23 PM
In some parts of  the world they solved that problem many years ago. As the bins in question were owned by the council not the householder they emptied the bin from house 1, took it to house 2, swapped it for the bin in house 2, emptied that, took it to house 3 and so on!

That wouldn't work around here. We get a choice of bin size, and stickers to identify which house number it belongs to, so you'd end up with the wrong size probably the first week.

H.

moogle

Our bins are usually collected on a Friday between 7.15 am, when they have to be out by, and whenever!
To be fair though its usually by mid afternoon.

We have 2 wheelie bins, one for greenery and one for non recyclable stuff, each collected alternate weeks.
Then we have 2 boxes for recyclable stuff and a small brown bin for kitchen waste, all collected weekly.
Started last October and it does work well.  :)

Except for the fact that each household should have a set of the above and out of the 4 flats in this building we've only received 2 sets!   >:(
Was only one to start with, I badgered the council for more but alas only one more has been delivered.  :veryangry:
Despite promising 3!  :veryangry2:

Our council can be completely useless  :censored: at times!
Personal motto: You don't have to be mad to be a modeller, but I find it helps!

My Irish layout here

My Edwardian Seaside Layout here

My Backscene painting tutorial here

EtchedPixels

Quote from: H on March 01, 2013, 09:43:56 AM
That wouldn't work around here. We get a choice of bin size, and stickers to identify which house number it belongs to, so you'd end up with the wrong size probably the first week.

H.

See in sensible places that problem doesn't occur because someone with a calculator realises that the savings on bin collecting time and handling are such that it's better to give everyone the same sized bin even if some are "too large".

It's the usual British disease, saving pennies by burning pounds  :veryangry: :veryangry:

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

H

Quote from: EtchedPixels on March 01, 2013, 11:37:40 AM

See in sensible places that problem doesn't occur because someone with a calculator realises that the savings on bin collecting time and handling are such that it's better to give everyone the same sized bin even if some are "too large".

It's far nicer to have a council that listens and provides what people want, and far nicer than getting someones grotty, smelly bin that has had nappies and unmentionable other nasties in it and needs washing out.

And our binmen collect from the rear passageway so the plan of emptying one and taking it back to the next house would take longer than the way they currently work by collecting them and emptying them all in one swoop. Horses for courses really, what works well in one place is not always best for others.

I have to admit that the rubbish collection service we get is very good and these comments should be in the happy thread rather than the angry thread.  :)

H.

guest311

Quote from: H on March 01, 2013, 09:43:56 AM
Quote from: EtchedPixels on February 28, 2013, 09:54:23 PM
In some parts of  the world they solved that problem many years ago. As the bins in question were owned by the council not the householder they emptied the bin from house 1, took it to house 2, swapped it for the bin in house 2, emptied that, took it to house 3 and so on!

H.

also wouldn't work  with councils like ours, as all bins have a chip in them which is registered against the address, so they can, if they wish, monitor each house's waste, and presumeably in time , start to charge by how much you bin.

excuse was initially that it was cheaper to have the chips fitted than not !

yer, right, honestly we do believe you !  :veryangry:

thebrighton

Our rubbish collection around here is very good and reliable even though it is only household one week, recycling the next. This does mean we have 2 large wheelie bins, a blue box and a bag. However last week we had a letter from the council saying we are getting a 3rd large wheelie bin and they are changing what goes in each. Recycling is fair enough and I'm happy to do it but where on earth am I supposed to store 3 large wheelie bins? SWMBO wants a conservatory but I think the bins will have to come first!
Gareth

H

Quote from: class37025 on March 01, 2013, 02:20:10 PM

also wouldn't work  with councils like ours, as all bins have a chip in them which is registered against the address, so they can, if they wish, monitor each house's waste, and presumeably in time , start to charge by how much you bin.

Apparently it's quite common for bins to be fitted with chips and yep, was suposed to be a prelude to charging by amount disposed of. I do know of people who have removed the chips and chucked them out in the rubbish (apparently there's also a lot wrapped in foil and on the roof of Fords Dunton research building) and others who deliberately mixed up the bins when delivered.

H.

Tank

The chip in my bin fell out.....  :whistle:

EtchedPixels

I'm sure we are only supposed to put chips in the food bin  :beers:
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Sprintex

Can you put a sound chip in it I wonder?  :D

Could make train noises every time it's moved, would have to be the sound of a Class 67 (skip) eh?  ;D

Paul

Jack

Think yourselves fortunate! We have to use black bin bags!  >:( Have you seen what cats, dogs and seagulls do to black bin bags? Oh and yes I do wrap the bags under an industrial sheet as directed but that doesn't stop cats and dogs from getting in, which in then lets the seagulls in.  :veryangry:
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Tank

I spent an hour last night finishing the decals on my Class 207, only to find this morning that the white numbers have turned brown, whereas the other end is still crisp white! ??? :veryangry:

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations