The angry thread

Started by findus, March 29, 2011, 09:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipper

I have been having trouble with my Macbook today, with the cursor flying all over the shop. Thought someone had taken over remotely, then realised that my Christmas expanded stomach was pressing down on the trackpad. Must remember not to slouch when using a laptop (or lose some weight!!!).

scotsoft

Quote from: Kipper on December 30, 2012, 07:50:06 PM
I have been having trouble with my Macbook today, with the cursor flying all over the shop. Thought someone had taken over remotely, then realised that my Christmas expanded stomach was pressing down on the trackpad. Must remember not to slouch when using a laptop (or lose some weight!!!).

:laughabovepost:  :laughabovepost:  :laughabovepost:  :laughabovepost:

Oldman

Do we have the first forum diet starting here?
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Pengi

Quote from: Oldman on December 30, 2012, 08:00:29 PM

Diet of Worms!
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

longbridge

Just a we bit upset about electricity companies here in Oz, our electricity bills have almost doubled over the past 12 to 18 months, we had a very hot day 38C last week and the electricity companies had the audacity to tell us that due to the high demand for power there may be some areas blacked out.

I really would like to know what they do with the money they have been ripping out of us for the past few years.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Oldman

:veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry: :veryangry:
Festive season - did as told and packed away the train stuff.
Am now bored and want to do some bits and pieces -can't find the boxes with the bits I'm looking for.
:confused1: :scowl: :thumbsdown:
At this rate I may have to look at investing in some more PCB sleepers and hand building the track I need. At least it would mean one of our traders would have a sale for a track roller gauge. :thumbsup:
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Kipper

Quote from: Oldman on December 30, 2012, 08:00:29 PM

The diet (and not of Worms, thank you - but good historical input!) will start some time in January, once the sideboard is empty of nuts and dates and chocolates...... :P

Pengi

Why did the various N gauge manufacturer's choose to have different scales (e.g. 1:148, 1:160, 1:150). It is a nightmare for buildings, cars, trains and other bits and bobs.

They should all have adopted 1:160  >:D (now there's a provocative statement to liven up a dull and grey January Friday)

longbridge

Great question Jane hope someone can answer it because I would also like to know.

Sounds like the argument over why OO Gauge runs on HO track or why wasn't British model railways made like the rest of the world in HO gauge.

I agree it can be a real pain when N Gauge is made in several different sizes and at times a mixture can look quite odd on a layout, I think more so with structures rather than trains.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Sprintex

Shamelessly nicked from Wikipedia, sounds feasible, hope it's right ;)

"When N gauge was developed it proved impossible to fit the then available motors into scale models of British prototype locomotives. British railways use a smaller loading gauge than those in Europe and America, resulting in smaller locomotives. A greater body size was required on the models to accommodate the motors, so instead of adopting the correct 1:160 scale, 1:148 was used. This allows larger models, but means that the gauge is not an accurate representation of standard gauge. "

Paul

Pengi

What is ridiculous is that Kato make 1:150 buildings and yet their bullet trains are 1:160!

I'm in a real muddle now as I now have more 1:160 trains and the buildings are 1:150. I use Kato/Tomix buildings because they are modern and a lot cheaper than the continental ones.

Sprintex

Quote from: Pengy on January 04, 2013, 08:00:04 AM
What is ridiculous is that Kato make 1:150 buildings and yet their bullet trains are 1:160!

The 1:150 buildings are designed to fit in with Japanese standard-gauge trains that are also 1:150. Shinkansen trains have a wider loading gauge than standard, so if Kato built them at 1:150 they'd hit your platforms and fall over ;) So they built them to 1:160 instead to fit inside the usual N gauge width limits.

Paul

Chinahand

I think you'll find that the reason for all the different scales is historical and, in the case of British N Gauge is closely linked to the way 00 versus H0 came about. It basically stemmed from the size of motors available which, in turn, dictated how big the model had to be to get a motor in.
Regards,
Trevor (aka Chinahand)
[smg id=2316]

Pengi

Thanks, maybe life is simpler in T gauge

(I'm not thinking of changing though)

EtchedPixels

No - Japanese T is 1:450, European T is generally 1:480 so as to have a correct track gauge.

Japanese N is a real hack job anyway - they should be running on Z track.

They should have used 1:160 for the  UK. The rest of the world managed fine but we have another typical British botch job and one that is going to get *very* annoying as the same stock begins to routinely crisscross Europe.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations