Cattle wagons

Started by austinbob, February 19, 2016, 06:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austinbob

I'm thinking of modelling a few cattle wagons with cattle in (N gauge ones of course!!).
How many cattle would normally travel in each wagon do you think?
Answers on a post card to... sorry wrong format.
Answers on this forum gratefully received.
:thankyousign: :beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Karhedron

Cattle wagons had a capacity of 12 tons so you can work back from there. A full grown Holstein cow weighs an average of about 1,500 lbs (that's nearly 1 ton). Based on that I would guess that 12-15 cows per wagon would be plausible.
Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

austinbob

Quote from: Karhedron on February 19, 2016, 07:07:49 PM
Cattle wagons had a capacity of 12 tons so you can work back from there. A full grown Holstein cow weighs an average of about 1,500 lbs (that's nearly 1 ton). Based on that I would guess that 12-15 cows per wagon would be plausible.
Thanks Karhedron - I'm off to do a search for N gauge cows!!
:beers:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

joe cassidy

12 cows in a cattle van seems a lot to me.

Best regards,

Joe

austinbob

Quote from: joe cassidy on February 19, 2016, 07:29:50 PM

Best regards,

Joe
To be honest Joe I'm not sure how big an N gauge cow is!! Once I find a reasonably priced source I'll by a dozen and see how they might fit into a Peco cattle wagon.

Bob Austin

port perran

Quote from: joe cassidy on February 19, 2016, 07:29:50 PM

Best regards,
Joe
On the other hand, I guess they had to be loaded quite tightly to avoid damage to each other (eg rough shunting).
I reckon 10-12 friesians per wagon isn't going to be far off.
I'll get round to fixing it drekkly me 'ansome.

bridgiesimon

Taking into consideration the thickness of N gauge model cattle wagons, the likelihood that model cattle will be over scale size and the lack of vision through the slats, I would think you could easily get away with loading 2-3 in each and it looking fine. Looking across at my layout, with some cows on it, I would be very surprised if you could fit anything like 10-12 in a wagon!

Best wishes
Simon

austinbob

Quote from: bridgiesimon on February 19, 2016, 08:31:25 PM
Taking into consideration the thickness of N gauge model cattle wagons, the likelihood that model cattle will be over scale size and the lack of vision through the slats, I would think you could easily get away with loading 2-3 in each and it looking fine. Looking across at my layout, with some cows on it, I would be very surprised if you could fit anything like 10-12 in a wagon!

Best wishes
Simon
You could be right. I think the best plan is to buy a few cows and see how they fit. If I buy too many I'm quite partial to nice steak, beef stew or burger so nothing to lose really.
Thanks all...

Bob Austin

trkilliman

Farish now do packs of cows, Bob (ref 379-341)

I'm sure they are nice, but they make fillet steak look decidedly cheap.

I would think if they are part hidden in a cattle wagon then some of the cheapy Chinese ones on ebay may be adequate.

Newportnobby

Quote from: trkilliman on February 19, 2016, 09:53:13 PM
Farish now do packs of cows, Bob (ref 379-341)

I'm sure they are nice, but they make fillet steak look decidedly cheap.

I would think if they are part hidden in a cattle wagon then some of the cheapy Chinese ones on ebay may be adequate.

I believe Noch are even pricier :goggleeyes:
I bought some from Country Scenes but they seem horribly underscale although this wouldn't matter so much if they were inside the wagons.

Karhedron

This photo from the NRM is quite useful. It shows what looks like around 10-12 cattle per pen. Assuming that each pen holds one wagon-load of cattle, it looks like a by-the-weight estimate is in the right ball-park.

Quote from: ScottyStitch on September 29, 2015, 11:28:46 AM
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

MalcolmInN

Quote from: austinbob on February 19, 2016, 06:43:31 PM
How many cattle would normally travel in each wagon
Answers on a post card to... sorry wrong format.
:laughabovepost:
It depends , , Dexter(see below) or Charolais  ;D

Quote from: austinbob on February 19, 2016, 08:40:47 PM
I think the best plan is to buy a few cows
quite partial to nice steak, beef stew or burger so nothing to lose really.
Steady on Bob, that can be a slippery slope,
we started with a few chicken and rabbits,
but,
may I introduce you to Treacle & Honey our two dexter :) [long since gone to fillet, sirloin and topside  :D ]

and for scale here is a sheep in the background :

The sheep is supposed to be this side of the electric, but there's always one to confound !

trkilliman

I have some rather nice Preiser cows, so I have nothing to beef about and will not cause a rump-us.

Been working on some 2mm cattle wagon bodies I assembled a couple of years back...LNER, LMS, and B.R. examples. I had brush painted them with Phoenix enamel bauxite. Now having an airbrush I wanted to strip them and use the airbrush. Cadged some Superdrug acetone nail varnish remover from my daughter and had a trial run (payback for Dad's taxi used frequently lol)  It worked a treat but did require a second coating. Airbrushed them with Howe's acrylic, and what a difference...so much more detail shows through. I'm pretty good with a paintbrush after 50+ years of using them, but the airbrush wins on this sort of job.

austinbob

Ah.. But they don't look very N gauge!!
:D
They are good looking animals though. I'd just luv to give them a good hug..

Bob Austin

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations