0-6-0 3F Jinty

Started by Alex, November 13, 2012, 09:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Hi,

The WPR used an ex-Caledonian 3F-H during the early 60's. This was also ex LMS 16250 and ex-BR 56250.

Don't know the significance of the H, but could I get away with an ordinary 3F Jinty? This engine was painted Blue with white trim, while in WPR service. A very contrasting colour to the normal chocolate brown or black livery.

Any thoughts welcome.

Alex :wave:

PLD

16250 was a Caledonian 728 Class which is a very different beast. See http://www.railuk.info/gallery/notes/getimage.php?id=2172 for a pic...
A Jinty looks very different so it is up to you whether it is an acceptable substitute or alternatively the Jinty chassis is near enough (in wheel size and spacing) to be a suitable basis for a scratchbuilt body or hack the Jinty body.

Under the LMS The '3F' part of the classification is the same meaning as the Jinty's '3F' Freight Power Classification (on the Cally they were originally considered Mixed Traffic Locos and used for suburban passenger workings). The 'H' suffix seems to have been locally applied and to have had two different meanings (neither official) at different times...
1. 'Handbrake Only' (in a class which was mainly vaccum fitted).
2. 'Condensing Gear' fitted for working the Glasgow Low Level line.
For a 728 class it could be either, but if your example was sold off to industry relatively early, I would guess the former...

Alex

Hi PLD,

Thanks for the info, sorry about my late reply.

I may get a Jinty and either hack the body or scratchbuild one. I'll see if I can find some more photos.

Alex

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £70.23
Below Goal: £29.77
Site Currency: GBP
70% 
April Donations