Road building tutorial?

Started by gareth, January 03, 2012, 11:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gareth

Hi,

I remember reading a tutorial on creating a road using craft foam covered with plaster and pressed slightly to give cracks but I can't find it again - does this sound familiar to anyone and, if so, have they got a URL for it? I can't remember if it was on this forum, linked to from the forum or just something I found while surfing...

Thanks

Gareth

galway

Hi Gareth, Dont know how to put link up but in layout construction - Michiel's layout 'St-Michel La Roche' shows you how to do cobble roads.

Paul
Is féidir tú a choinneáil ar eascainí an madra nó is féidir a lasadh coinneal duit

painbrook

Gareth, enlighten us more, what era, is it rural,main road or a street. Cheers john.

gareth

Hi John,

I've been racking my brain but can't remember any more about it. I seem to think it was a forum post but can't remember if the tutorial was posted in a forum or on a site linked to from the forum.

I think it was meant to be able to be applied to any situation as it was just creating a generic road surface, it just looked really good from the pictures...

Gareth

brbluewill

Where our songs are challenged we shall sing them all the louder!!!!!

polo2k

You can use cerial box card for the running surface as its soft enough to take scribed details.
To get the camber add a strip 1 lane wide on the centreline of the road, then lay over another layer creating both lanes. the top surface will camber over the lower one.

use emulsion for the colour (dark grey fading to lighter for older stuff) then, once dry use a sharp pencil to draw the outline of repairs, paint the repairs darker than the surrounding. to simulate the tay seal around the repairs, use unthinned acrylic paint from the tube.
White lines can be masked and painted, freehand painted, sprayed or you can get lining tape for cars thats ideal.

After its weathered, drybrush powdered pencil lead over the areas where tyres run, on country roads there will often be browns/greens between the tyre lines.

Occasionally there might be skid marks coming into a sharp bend, (or a boy racer impaled on a tree!)

if the surface looks too smooth after the first coat of grey, add another coat in a different shade, when dry lightly sand to vary the colour.
Cheers
-Ash-

The only way to guarantee failure, is not to try

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations