Why don't Insulfrog points cause shorts.

Started by Bikeracer, December 26, 2011, 07:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bikeracer

I was looking at an Insulfrog point today with a view to soldering a dropper from each outside rail for my DCC layout that's about ready to get some track laid and I noticed that all four rails of the frog are interconnected in pairs with wires crossing each other underneath to bridge the plastic frog,this is not insulated wire and looks as if each wire is touching the other.

This might be obvious to the less electrickery challenged people, but I can't for the life of me see why they don't short out because all four rails are basically connected to each other.

In this link, illustration 2 shows the frog with opposite polarities meeting at the frog.
http://www.loystoys.com/peco/about-insulfrog.html

Allan

I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

EddieA

Hi Allan

OK I'll admit I know nothing about DCC wiring (in my case 'digital control' is my fingers poking switches on my 'DCP', or 'Dinosaur Control Panel'! aka DC). :)

However, having looked at a PECO N Gauge Insulfrog point it would appear that one of the wires underneath the frog area is encased in a very fine clear plastic sleeve therefore there should be no short circuit where the wires cross?

Of course this reply is only based on my experience of Peco, as they say 'other points may be available...'

regards
Eddie

"I owe the discovery of Uqbar to the meeting of a mirror and an encyclopaedia".
(Jorge Luis Borges - 'El jardin de senderos que se bifurcan' 1941)

Bikeracer

Thanks Eddie,I'll have a look under the magnifier.

I did a google search and came up with the link to Loy's Toys which I've now included in in my first post,if he's to be believed it would seem that Insulfrog points are actually better for DCC operation which is contrary to the usual recommendation that Electrofrog points with the attendant extra wiring are better.

Allan
I'm not a complete idiot..some bits are missing.

tim-pelican

Quote from: Bikeracer on December 26, 2011, 07:36:49 PM
I was looking at an Insulfrog point today with a view to soldering a dropper from each outside rail for my DCC layout that's about ready to get some track laid and I noticed that all four rails of the frog are interconnected in pairs with wires crossing each other underneath to bridge the plastic frog,this is not insulated wire and looks as if each wire is touching the other.

Hoorah, it's not just me!  I need to get a magnifier and / or a meter to it, but I totally agree - to the naked eye, it looks like those two wires across the bottom of the frog must touch.  At least, it does on my Setrack (don't hurt me!) points...

MacRat

Can't look at a point at the moment but I got the impression this is some kind of enamelled wire. This has very thin isolation and when you solder it the enamel melts and the wire makes electrical contact.
IIRC, the electrical bridges on setrack points look welded, probably ultrasonic welded. As I see it, the machine could rub the enamel away before welding it to the track, if not doing it in one step.

Kudi

I've notice the same, but upon closer inspection I can see that the lower connecting wire is insulated with a thin transparent plastic sleeve, so that the upper wire does not cause a short circuit.
BR 1950s freelance

MJKERR

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £35.23
Below Goal: £64.77
Site Currency: GBP
35% 
April Donations