Tank

Thought I'd join in Snowwolflair!  :smiley-laughing:

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Tank on January 02, 2019, 12:43:19 AM
Thought I'd join in Snowwolflair!  :smiley-laughing:

the more the merrier as my old granny used to say  :laugh3:

NinOz

Reading this thread is like watching "One Foot in the Grave". :smiley-laughing:
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

railsquid

Innovationgame

Some members seem to have got hold of the wrong end of the stick regarding my use of the Thankyou button. This is probably because I have not explained myself very well, so here goes at trying to explain myself.

Whenever I read a post which is well written, long (i.e. requiring a lot of effort), informative or well-illustrated, I used the Thankyou button to express my approval and, often, would add a reply as well.  However, when time is pressing, I sometimes skip the reply that I would have liked to post, so the Thankyou remains my only input.  However, when I read a post which is short and uninformative, trite, trivial or even adversarial, then, naturally, I do not give thanks.

Normally, I confine myself to the Layout Construction board, which I visit several times a day.  Whenever I visit it, particularly first thing in the morning, there are usually several threads which indicate new posts (sometimes a dozen or more) so I open them one at a time and look for posts that I haven't read, sometimes rereading others to maintain clarity of thought.  Clearly, if the Thankyou button was not there, it meant that, I had not only read it, but also said Thankyou.  This helped when processing several dozen posts in a single session.  Because I always display the newest post at the top, it meant I could scan down until I came across a post with no Thankyou button and then start reading the posts above it.  Many of the posts that I had already read still had the Thankyou button showing because I had assessed them as not requiring a Thankyou. 

Under the revised format (which I see has now been removed), once a Thankyou had been given, all the icons disappeared and a message replaced them asking if I wanted to rescind my response.  That was fine but, once I had left the thread, when I returned to it, the icons all reappeared, so there was no way of telling whether I had given a Thankyou (or any other response) other than to click on the 'View All' link.  Given the relatively large amount of reading that I do in a single session, this is less satisfactory than the original situation. 

Clearly, experimenting with new ideas about the format of posts is a good thing, but we, as members of the forum, should all try to look at the situation objectively and try to be constructive in our comments in the hope that eventually a consensus can be achieved.  Whether the resulting consensus can be put into practise is, of course, another thing entirely.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Bealman

I can see what you are saying, but I prefer the thank you button at the bottom of the post I've just read, so I don't have to scroll back to the top to say thanks.

I suggested this to the mods a while ago, and was told by Tank there was an overhaul coming.

We are getting it now, and it is a work in progress.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Innovationgame

That's absolutely fine.  It would be nice though, if there were an indication, preferably at the top from my point of view, but anywhere really, to say that I had already given thanks (or some other form of response).  I think the issue for me is that the indication disappears once you exit the thread.  It would also be nice if other's reponses to your posts were indicated by the notification icon at the top of the board, as they were before, although I see that it still notifies about quotes.  I just hope we're not overloading Tank with too many suggestions.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

PLD

Quote from: Innovationgame on January 02, 2019, 09:02:46 AM
Some members seem to have got hold of the wrong end of the stick regarding my use of the Thankyou button. This is probably because I have not explained myself very well, so here goes at trying to explain myself.

Whenever I read a post which is well written, long (i.e. requiring a lot of effort), informative or well-illustrated, I used the Thankyou button to express my approval and, often, would add a reply as well.  However, when time is pressing, I sometimes skip the reply that I would have liked to post, so the Thankyou remains my only input.  However, when I read a post which is short and uninformative, trite, trivial or even adversarial, then, naturally, I do not give thanks.

Normally, I confine myself to the Layout Construction board, which I visit several times a day.  Whenever I visit it, particularly first thing in the morning, there are usually several threads which indicate new posts (sometimes a dozen or more) so I open them one at a time and look for posts that I haven't read, sometimes rereading others to maintain clarity of thought.  Clearly, if the Thankyou button was not there, it meant that, I had not only read it, but also said Thankyou.  This helped when processing several dozen posts in a single session.  Because I always display the newest post at the top, it meant I could scan down until I came across a post with no Thankyou button and then start reading the posts above it.  Many of the posts that I had already read still had the Thankyou button showing because I had assessed them as not requiring a Thankyou. 

Under the revised format (which I see has now been removed), once a Thankyou had been given, all the icons disappeared and a message replaced them asking if I wanted to rescind my response.  That was fine but, once I had left the thread, when I returned to it, the icons all reappeared, so there was no way of telling whether I had given a Thankyou (or any other response) other than to click on the 'View All' link.  Given the relatively large amount of reading that I do in a single session, this is less satisfactory than the original situation. 

Clearly, experimenting with new ideas about the format of posts is a good thing, but we, as members of the forum, should all try to look at the situation objectively and try to be constructive in our comments in the hope that eventually a consensus can be achieved.  Whether the resulting consensus can be put into practise is, of course, another thing entirely.
If I understand correctly, your objective is to identify posts you have previously read so that you can locate new posts added since you last looked at the thread?
If that is the case, if you click on the orange 'NEW' flag instead of the thread title, it will take you directly to the earliest post in the thread that you haven't previously read and you can then continue from that point forwards in time. No need for you to (mis)use any other function as a marker, the system does it for you...

Stevie DC

Quote from: dannyboy on January 01, 2019, 08:18:51 PM
Anybody else missing the new icons/emojis at the bottom of posts? Also, and I do not know if this is connected, the forum is being extremely slow this evening.  ???

Mine have disappeared too - and just when I was getting used to and starting to enjoy them.  :( What have I done????

RailGooner

Standby for a flood of posts declaring the "end is nigh" now that the ratings are on the LEFT! :whistle:

Snowwolflair

They sort of work on an iPhone.

But where is the icon for drama queen @tank you promised :D

Stevie DC

Quote from: RailGooner on January 02, 2019, 11:04:28 AM
Standby for a flood of posts declaring the "end is nigh" now that the ratings are on the LEFT! :whistle:

Maybe, but I can't click them for some reason... Are those the four horsemen I can see over there???  :smiley-laughing:

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Atso on January 02, 2019, 11:07:48 AM
Quote from: RailGooner on January 02, 2019, 11:04:28 AM

Maybe, but I can't click them for some reason... Are those the four horsemen I can see over there???  :smiley-laughing:

No either Santa's reindeer on the :censored: (changed by forum) or some pantomime nags.

Seems to work here and you can make multiple feedback so i can even contradict myself - wonderful  :doh:

Newportnobby

Not bothered about the positioning but I don't like the ½ dozen ones we have so hope it's just an experiment

Tank

Just making sure it works.  I'll sort out pictures and buttons later.  I'll get moaned at for spending too long on the PC soon! :worried: :)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations