Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bealman

Apologies, Dave.  :-[

Not funny, Trainfish.  >:D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

The Q

Being old enough to use LSD but young enough to buy an early calculator while still at school.
At primary school we recited rods poles or perches, chains furlongs and miles.  Secondary school was metric.
Personally I think using LSD meant your mind was formed more agile for calculations, I often work out totals and prices and change in the shop long before the cashier has finished typing.
I can just remember  using  farthings, and seeing  silver threepenny  bits ( rarely) .

Bring back imperial measurements!!!  960 farthings to the pound,  80 chains to the mile!!!

Bealman

Sorry, can't agree there... dynes, foot poundals and the like is why I never understood physics at school.

Physics is hard enough for high school kids even using SI units!

Newportnobby

Quote from: Trainfish on October 19, 2018, 10:51:07 PM
I've only read about this £/s/d thing in books. I didn't realise until now that there are still people around who actually USED them. And even more surprisingly they remember using them too  :goggleeyes:

I'm still waiting to see if all this decimal money will catch on.
I started work in 1972 on £10.30 per week. We had no calculators but I had to use a comptometer!
Used to rock up on my 750cc Triumph Tiger ;D

Bealman

Me mother used to operate one of those for Henley Cables at Birtley, which later became AEI.

Newportnobby

Could have done with having 20 fingers to use them but a skilled comptometer operator could earn a lot of money back then (that wasn't me, though)

Bealman

Yeah, I think me mam did alright out of it, and I think the job held an amount of prestige in the day.

talisman56

Quote from: The Q on October 20, 2018, 07:45:28 AM
Being old enough to use LSD but young enough to buy an early calculator while still at school.
At primary school we recited rods poles or perches, chains furlongs and miles.  Secondary school was metric.
Personally I think using LSD meant your mind was formed more agile for calculations, I often work out totals and prices and change in the shop long before the cashier has finished typing.
I can just remember  using  farthings, and seeing  silver threepenny  bits ( rarely) .

Bring back imperial measurements!!!  960 farthings to the pound,  80 chains to the mile!!!

I presume you mean pounds/shillings/pence here, not the illegal drug of the same acronym. :)

On D (Decimalisation)-day [15th February 1971 for the uninitiated] I went into a shop with a 10p coin (this, and the 5p had been out a while before as they were the same size/weight as the two-shilling and one-shilling coins, and the 50p had replaced the 10-shilling note) and bought a chocolate bar (I don't remember which one) and got a 2p, 1p and half-p coin in my change.

There was the amusement amongst my classmates when, soon after D-day, we went off on a school trip by coach to the Ideal Home Exhibition in London (by 'eck a trip up to t' smoke) and they were looking out for the few shops that held out on decimalisation. These were popularly known as LSD shops, and we were fully aware of the alternative connotation...

Quando omni flunkus moritati

My layout thread - Hambleside East: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=18364.0
My workbench thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=19037

Bealman

I got me first 50 pence piece on the ferry back from Calais to Dover in 1970, age 18, and was super chuffed.

Hero when I got back to the NE and showed it off!

MalcolmInN

Quote from: Bealman on October 20, 2018, 07:52:31 AM
Sorry, can't agree there... dynes, foot poundals and the like is why I never understood physics at school.

Physics is hard enough for high school kids even using SI units!
+1
Not to mention Slugs ! (an Imperial unit of mass)
Yep, gotta agree with you there, bring on the metric in the lab.

Actually, I was so bad at arts and languages that I had no option but to go to further Phys and Math. Which was not too bad once beyond school as at higher level cgs* (centimetre-gram-second, fore-runner to MKS and SI) was already in use in the higher institutions. :)

So, I regret to have to be a bore and point out that the *dyne is a unit in the metric cgs system, not an imperial measure !

Morning all.

Bealman

Yes, you are correct with the dyne.  :thumbsup:

Snowwolflair

Quote from: Bealman on October 20, 2018, 10:46:04 AM

I understand we are going back to imperial measurements next March.  :worried:

NinOz

Won't have far to go to imperial again. 
Trip to UK a couple of years ago showed a pig's breakfast of metric and imperial systems and some of the dumbest excuses why. :smiley-laughing:
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Trainfish

Quote from: daveg on October 20, 2018, 07:22:57 AM
Quote from: Trainfish on October 19, 2018, 10:51:07 PM
I've only read about this £/s/d thing in books. I didn't realise until now that there are still people around who actually USED them. And even more surprisingly they remember using them too  :goggleeyes:

:P :D

Dave G

Quote from: Bealman on October 20, 2018, 07:44:27 AM
Apologies, Dave.  :-[

Not funny, Trainfish.  >:D

:P :D
John

In April 2024 I will be raising money for Cancer Research UK by doing at least 100 press-ups every day.  Feel free to click on the picture to go to the donations page if you would like to help me to reach my target.

To follow the construction of my layout "Longcroft" from day 1, you'll have to catch the fish below first by clicking on it which isn't difficult right now as it's frozen!

<*))))><

NinOz

Quote from: Bealman on October 20, 2018, 10:46:04 AM
Nah.  I'm sure it is cat food.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £77.34
Below Goal: £22.66
Site Currency: GBP
77% 
March Donations