Split gears BUT?????

Started by petercharlesfagg, November 06, 2013, 05:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercharlesfagg

Friends,
We are all aware of the problem of splitting gears but is there any advice for the possible alleviation of the problem?

(1) Not using the locomotive at all would save them but is there any advice about running the locomotives, lower speeds, possibly, lower loadings possibly?

(2) any strengthening that could be applied BEFORE running the locomotives?

(3) Overhauling the locomotive and replacing gears beforehand?

I ask because I have just purchased an item that is new and made in England, namely a Graham Farish 8117  diesel Locomotive 40145 and am concerned about the possibility of having to replace gearing at a later stage.

Regards, Peter.
Each can do but little, BUT if each did that little, ALL would be done!

Life is like a new sewer pipe, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!

A day without laughter is a day wasted!

PostModN66

Hi Peter,

Sadly I think the problem is to do with internal stress in the gears caused by either or too tight a fit or too weak a material, depending on how you look at it.

The only preventative maintenance I have heard of is removing the gear and reaming it out very slightly to reduce the stress - but I am going to guess that you (and me) would not want to be fagged with that!

I think you just have to be sanguine, get a supply of spare axles or gears and get used to doing the replacement every so often.

I have heard a rumour though that later model gears are tougher and/or thicker, so it may be a diminishing problem.

Cheers

Jon   :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

scotsoft

Hi Peter,

You cannot let yourself go down the "what if" road.

If you run any mechanical object, eventually something will need replacing.

Just run the loco at whatever speed you want, enjoy it and when the time comes, do the repair.

It is not as if you won't be able to run any locos whilst waiting for the parts to do the repair, you now have a few locos, so your layout will not grind to a halt  ;)

cheers John.

Mr Sprue

Firstly from my experience it needs to be mentioned that these gears normally last for quite a long time before they split. Being plastic they do eventually harden with age, but there are circumstances that can accelerate this process one being dramatic variation in temperatures, the other is the choice of oil which must be plastic compatible and not contain harmful solvents which can degrade plastic, and will eventually make it harden and become brittle.

As for the later Bachmann Chinese gears they are no different, I have repaired two locos in the last year that have suffered this same problem as the original Farish ones!

I recently helped a friend out repairing a number of his loco's which had been stored in his loft for a few years, all worked when he put them up there, but not one did when he brought them down to test them two and half years later!

What Scotsoft has just mention is the best advice, just don't worry about it and run them, if they do encounter a problem so what ! There's enough people on here that will help you.  ;)

AndyGif

Farish gears even split when the loco is in storage, so not running them won't save them.

PostModN66

I have bought quite a few locos from the Bachmann stall, labelled "checked and tested - sold as seen".  All have had split gears.

Presumably it goes like this:

Check - yes the gears are split
Test - yes, it won't run, the gears are definitely split

...put a label on it and stick it in the box for TINGS....!

Cheers   Jon   :)
"We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected." ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

EtchedPixels

1 won't help
2 there is no obvious way to do this
3. replace them with the thicker ones and they usually survive

The Bachmann gears on the new locos appear to be pretty crap unfortunately and with the wheels all being different what was an annoyance is now absolutely pathetic.

At least with the older locos you can get the parts and change them if needed.

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Joe 90

As this problem of gears splitting, which has been ongoing for a number of years and over a wide range of models, surely this would be now classed as a form of "manufacturing fault"?
If so, would we not be entitled to some form of redress from Bachmann Farish?

EtchedPixels

Yes.. I make a point of returning models with gear splits or bugging Bachmann for free replacement axles. Your redess is properly however with the shop you bought it from not the supplier. It's up to the shop to sort it out with the supplier and a shop is in most respects responsible for making sure it doesn't sell crap.

I imagine that if someone took it up properly you'd a) get six years warranty claims without trouble and b) possibly be able to land Bachmann in the brown and sticky for negligence.

Unfortunately in the UK trading standards are more interested in pressing matters (like food safety), and nobody else cares. In the USA I'm sure one reason they fixed all this crap is that they'd have been hit with a class action lawsuit by now if they had not.

Plus US modellers had more choice of better brands, voted with their feet and Bachmann for some years was basically a dirty word ('Botchmann' is still a common name for them)

Alan
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

silly moo

Could sudden changes in direction cause split gears? I have been advised to never change the direction of a loco too suddenly and rather to bring it to a complete halt before changing direction, does this make sense?

Dr Al

Quote from: EtchedPixels on November 06, 2013, 06:32:11 PM
The Bachmann gears on the new locos appear to be pretty crap unfortunately and with the wheels all being different what was an annoyance is now absolutely pathetic.

At least with the older locos you can get the parts and change them if needed.

Alan

You can do the same with new locos - the gears are still the same....

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

Dr Al

Quote from: silly moo on November 06, 2013, 10:21:26 PM
Could sudden changes in direction cause split gears? I have been advised to never change the direction of a loco too suddenly and rather to bring it to a complete halt before changing direction, does this make sense?

In a word, no.

The problem is too tight an interference fit at manufacture. The same Farish gears do not split if correctly fitted to the axles.

For the original post:

Don't worry about it!! Run the loco, enjoy it as it should be enjoyed, and if the gears split they can easily be replaced in the future. Preventative action isn't really worth the bother - if the loco hasn't got splits by now (bear in mind any Poole Farish loco is now at LEAST 15 years old) then there's a good chance it'll carry on fine. There were clear periods in the Poole production where the gears always split, and some where they appear not to.
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."Dr. Carl Sagan

RussellH

hi Guys

I'm more inclined to go with aging of plastic than too tight a fit at manufacture as the white gears don't split - same mould, same axles, same fit but the fit does have an effect. Temperature changes seem to make it worse - nothing makes it better. Gears are still available, we can fit them and make our locos work again so don't worry about it - worrying only detracts from enjoyment of your rolling stock. If its new then send it back if you can as per EPs warranty info (thanks Alan) if not then fix it yourself or ask and help will be given - that's what were here for - inst it?

As for changing direction - new dapol 73 (ex set) with a glorious plastic chassis (stupid idea). I changed direction while going briskly along, loco promptly fell of the track and a drive shaft popped out - well that's a new one! Bagged it for fixing later.

Gears all the same? Possible exception is the warship - was told they have a14 tooth gear - not seen one fail yet so cant confirm.

Also not worth slaging of just Bachmann when Iv seen Dapol 73s with a full set of split gears - the fun bit is with careful work you can fit a set of Bachmann wheels in the 73 and they don't wobble anymore.

Enjoy your locos!

Regards
Russ
Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Mr Sprue

That's a new one to me Russell about fitting Bachmann axles to Dapol 73's! I'll certainly keep that tip in my note book!

:thankyousign:

RussellH

Hi Mr Sprue

Yep - it works. Just need to widen the inside of the tower to accept the raised area of the axle (one of those ball shaped burrs works), and the axle slot needs to be slightly larger without being sloppy. Make sure you get them dead centre as the rims are very close to the frame.

If you like that then the farish 16 tooth gear also fits the top gear in the Dapol 9F that meshes with the worm (the one that gets chewed to bits).

eNjoy

Russ

Repairs - not everything has to be sent away - you can fix most thing's yourself. Ask and help will be provided.

Waiting for the RTR version? - why not try a kit?

My layout, Bridgebury Gate now has its own website...
www.bridgeburygate.com

and the 3DR shop where you'll also find the NGF MPV, assorted cabs etc...
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/3dr_designs_for_n_gauge

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations