Happy thread

Started by Deleted Member, March 30, 2011, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonclox

Quote from: owl729 on June 17, 2011, 11:23:21 PM
Any news on Cloughie? I havent seen him on the site for ages! I hope he is well.
He was last active on this board on 04/06/2011 no sign of him in here  sinse  :(
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Lawrence

I'll drop cloughie an email see how he is, if you read back this thread he got a full time job so may not have time for modelling much and even less for the forum.

I get to post my bit on the Happy thread now

A couple of months ago the company my wife works for got bought over in a pretty aggressive take over, out of 23 positions 20 were being made redundant as operations were being moved down South.  The commercial arm of the company was staying with the original owners and she was invited to apply for a job there as an admin bod, the residential side of the business was going to the new company but still based up here, so she applied for a receptionist position there too.

On Tuesday & Wednesday of last week she had the 2 interviews, she didn't get the commercial job, then she was told she hadn't got the residential job either, however, they had seen the need for an office manager, someone to oversee both the Dundee & Forfar offices and they offered her that instead  ;D ;D  As they saw she was on minimum wage they also said there would be a pay rise for her too, she got home on Friday and yes, she did get a pay rise, I worked it out at about 23%  :o :o

I am delighted for her as she really deserves it and (this is the best bit) I'm getting a shed so I can get a layout up and running again  :beers:

Now if the daft sods in the Government can make a decision based on strategic considerations and not just close RAF Scotland just because that's what Tories do  :evil: come the announcement in July, I just wont be happy, I'll be positively skipping up the garden to my new shed  ;D  Keep everything crossed for me guys  :thumbsup:

Newportnobby

Lawrence - not just happy news but GREAT news in the current climate. Congrats to your missus :thumbsup: Whose idea was the shed, though :smiley-laughing:

Tank

Superb news Lawrence and Mrs Lawrence! :beers:

jonclox

Congratulations to Mr and Mrs Lawrence up there in the tundraland known as Scotland
Well done that lady :)
John A GOM personified
Ruleoneshire

lesmond

That's a great result, Lawrence, congratulations to you and the good lady.

Can we have a shed ribbon cutting picture  ;D?
Malice in defeat; revenge in victory

Irish Padre

Great news - well pleased for you both!

Lawrence

Nobby - to be honest, it's her (Della) treat, we saw a really solid 8x6 pent today and the guy said he cold put the door at the gable end rather than the front which I would prefer, so hand built, delivered and erected for £535 but it comes with 19mm log cladding (not just thin boards) and a proper lock & key.  I thought it was a bargain  ;)  Problem is, Della seems keen for me to put the shed on the other side of the garden, the problem with that is that I could happily get an 8 x 10 on that side, whether or not she will pay for it is another matter  ::)

Les - what a great idea, I guess that as Della is paying for it she will have to cut the ribbon!  I would say that's the last time she will get near it, unfortunately she is rather good with building scenic sections and actually enjoys getting stuck in with layers of plaster and newspaper  ::)  I may need a bigger lock  :smiley-laughing:

I have passed on your congratulatory messages and she is absolutely delighted with all your replies.  Should we ever all get together one day I'll make sure she provides some of her trademark cupcakes  :thumbsup:

jonclox

Quote from: Lawrence on June 18, 2011, 04:23:54 PM
I'll drop cloughie an email see how he is, if you read back this thread he got a full time job so may not have time for modelling much and even less for the forum.

I am delighted for her as she really deserves it and (this is the best bit) I'm getting a shed so I can get a layout up and running again  :beers:

Do remember that he strongest locks need to be on the inside to stop interrupters coming in and spoiling your fun. A 'men only' sign on the  outside can also be a great help
John A GOM personified
Ruleoneshire

lesmond

I find a "Danger of Death - Keep Out" sign from a (defunct, don't trespass, whatever you do as it's deadly dangerous) electricity substation usually does the trick.

And a great big bolt on the inside  ;D

Newportnobby

If you have a lifting flap across the door that generally solves the issue. An extreme measure would be to electrify the door handle :evil:

lesmond

Hi Lawrence,

That's a cracking shed at a very fair price. There is some awful rubbish about, with nasty thin boards and gaps all over the place.

Did you price the bigger one? If there wasn't a big difference, and finances permitted, I'd go for the big one, myself, on the principle of "better to be looking at than looking for"

longbridge

Some good news and some bad news, the bad news first is Cloughie is out of action because his computer has kicked the bucket but he is working on it.

The good news is I spent most of the last couple of days getting parts and rebuilding my own desktop computer, turned it on, loaded the latest Linux Mint 11 operation system onto it and it works like a dream.
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

lesmond

Bad news about Cloughie's PC - did he lose much data?

Good news about Mint however. I use XP with a Windows 2000 server in work, and am going to abandon MS software entirely when XP support ends. Windows 7 is very nice, but has too many toys, and 8 looks like nothing I'd want, so far.

Lawrence

The shed is ordered  :beers:  6x8 pent, with the door on the "gable" end and a second window in the front wall at no extra cost  ;D  Delivery is set for July 14th, then the hard work really begins  ::)

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £67.34
Below Goal: £32.66
Site Currency: GBP
67% 
March Donations