New Graham Farish Products for 2022

Started by Adam1701D, February 02, 2022, 10:07:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steadfast

Quote from: acko22 on February 02, 2022, 10:03:16 PM
Hi all,

New class 08 DCC and Sound ready while not much livery wise of interest for me (wouldn't have said no to a Freightliner version in green or orange) I will probably take the RSS version however its bugging me hugely that for some reason the model has ladders which which the real thing hasn't had in RSS livery at any stage IIRC this was part of Rail Group Standards to remove them to prevent people easily climbing on top of them

From what I can tell from the multitude of 08s I've got, all 08s come with the 4 lights each end, depsite the fact the majority have probably spent more time with just the lower two than with all four. Also all models have a whistle.

If you want wooden cab doors, it comes with ladders and no additional compressor box.

If you want steel cab doors, you get no ladder and the extra box.

Sadly, it doesn't appear Farish have the spec to mix and match the parts. With the 08s having so many variations, this is a shame. So the RSS one has ladders because it has the wooden cab doors and lack of extra compressor box.

From memory, the ladders come off easy enough, and the black ladders may leave a nice black stump behind, filling the hole for you.

Jo

Suffolk Rob

It is a shame if the tooling doesn't allow for this variant without the ladder. Could it be that a livery sample has been produced without necessarily having the tooling choices spot on and production samples might be without?

Must admit that, whilst well outside my normal time zone, the more I look at this livery, the more I like it so history tells me an order will happen. Does anyone know when it received this livery? Era 9 covers an awful long time now. Would it overlap for example with the EFE clay wagons (JIA?) even if it's never worked with them in reality could the liveries have coincided timewise on my small plank of wood.

If not I'm sure Ben & Mike will sell me something suitable

N gauge diesel shunters seem to be arriving like buses right now

Rob

steadfast

Slight update to what I wrote earlier. Seems they can do with or without the extra compressor cabinet on the wooden door type, but the wooden door always have the ladder.

It's the marker lights that annoy me more, because it's so hard to patch the yellow where they have been removed. Once filled and sanded, it usually needs the black touching up too, and the yellow is nigh on impossible to match with proprietary paints from Railmatch etc. Often a full respray and new wasp stripe decals is easier than trying to patch it.

The ladders were dead easy to remove and tidy up on the ones I've done.

Jo

acko22

Quote from: steadfast on February 04, 2022, 02:34:55 PM
Slight update to what I wrote earlier. Seems they can do with or without the extra compressor cabinet on the wooden door type, but the wooden door always have the ladder.

It's the marker lights that annoy me more, because it's so hard to patch the yellow where they have been removed. Once filled and sanded, it usually needs the black touching up too, and the yellow is nigh on impossible to match with proprietary paints from Railmatch etc. Often a full respray and new wasp stripe decals is easier than trying to patch it.

The ladders were dead easy to remove and tidy up on the ones I've done.

Jo

Fair play Jo I honestly hadn't looked that far into it, fair to say it was what jumped out on first look, probably will still get one regardless as its as close as to the wanted modern livery I am after.
Mechanical issues can be solved with a hammer and electrical problems can be solved with a screw driver. Beyond that it's verbal abuse which makes trains work!!

Izzy

I'm a bit bemused that the variables are so limited when the cab is a separate plastic moulding as are all the side cabinets. So mix & match should be feasible to get the right spec. Perhaps there isn't the production capacity or knowledge to cope with them all. Shame really considering the prices. But it is what it is.

Roy L S

Quote from: Hailstone on February 03, 2022, 10:27:06 PM
As a dc dinosaur, and steam to diesel transition modeler I have to say that I am seriously underwhelmed with a total lack of new tooling on the steam side. I hoped that after the 8F we would perhaps get an update of the 61xx prairie, king, crab or V2 but they seem to be going all out for the dcc camp. I can only hope that the next announcement in 3 months time will be more exciting. Where are the Thompson coaches in maroon?

Disgruntled,

Alex 

I had similar hopes for a steam loco given the gestation period of the 8F and length of time since it, their last steam loco release was announced, However this is where the transition from the previous method of announcements to the new is causing confusion. I have been told that the already announced sound upgraded 5MT will be here hopefully around the year end so it will be a while yet before they are solely announcing quarterly releases.

I think it it is probably reasonable to expect we will see further sound upgrades of the more recent locos both steam and diesel, hopefully alongside a few new offerings, but maybe this will be the sole focus for a while, it certainly appears to be what more of the Market is asking for.

Hopefully a newly tooled 44/45/46 will come along at some point as it is an obvious gap (one of few mainstream diesels now so needs to be done before a newcomer takes it) and to mirror the 00 offering I think a V2 would be hugely popular, but this is pure speculation as regards the first and in all honesty more wishlisting as regards the second. In terms of sound upgrade who wouldn't want a Deltic...

Overall though I think we will have to get used to less by dint of announcements being spread quarterly, that is only logical.

As regards coaches, while I would love to see maroon Thompsons too, I can't help thinking that the Market in general would be much happier with the full range of maroon and Blue/Grey Mk1s being produced and a more sustainable supply by more frequent batches being prodiced - these are surely "bread and butter" models that will always sell.

Roy

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £100.23
Above Goal: £0.23
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
April Donations