Unhappy Thread

Started by Caz, August 26, 2015, 10:11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tidbury

Mick Im not joking we would have been sacked if we took that long , in our store we had a wall full of certificates for the fastest store in the south . A lot of people dont realise how many people work in the stores apart from Christmas there was one person in the stockroom upstairs one downstairs doing the picking AND the collection counter and one on the till and one in jewelry the only time we took that long was if we had a young girl or me upstairs and you had to pick flat pack furniture or something upstairs was on the top shelf of the rack which was 16 ft high .Occasionally you could call on the jewelry assistant to help out if there was a few customers .The under manager sometimes helped as I just couldnt run round like youngsters but I was very good on the collection counter in fact I was sellected  by winning the Argos X factor in London Victoria store and was in one of the training videos  I had to go to Liecester Fosse Way store for the filming with five other winners, we had good fun .
When our store opened we really had a good team it was very hard work for me at my age.  Argos is definately a job for youngsters and after five years I had to admit I just couldnt cope anymore .
So if you hear of people knocking Argos just let them know and see if they would work at that pace.
Bob

Steamie+

Quote from: daffy on February 23, 2017, 09:30:18 AM
Sorry to hear this Steamie. Has the other guy worked for less years than you. I am wondering why you will be worse off as the company will have to pay you Statutory Redundancy Pay as well as for the 10 weeks work period.

Or am I misunderstanding your situation?

Full details about redundancy on the .Gov website here:
https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/overview

Whatever happens, look forward to the next big adventure if you can.

Thank you for your comment Mick, i am so confused about it all, at the 1st meeting they said i would have 30 days notice and may be paid for the 30 days, get Garden leave for which i am led to believe is paid but if required to go in to work if needed or work the 30 days notice. But now they are saying 10 weeks, again i have been told because they have to give me 1 weeks notice for every year of service, which is ok if i don't have to work it, but has i have said my heart isn't in the job anymore, even my manager has said he can see it isn't and it would be better for all concerned if they finished me on the 15th of March. 

I didn't sleep that well before all this, but now i hardly get any sleep at all.    :( :( :(

Steamie+

Quote from: austinbob on February 23, 2017, 08:13:24 AM
Are you gonna look for another job or retire Steamie?
If you look for another job then you can use the 10 weeks to go to interviews etc. That'll give you a chance to look around while your still getting paid.
If you're gonna retire then more time to do the N gauge stuff.
Hope everything works out ok for you.
:beers:

Thanks Bob, they have said yes i can go for job interviews ( they are required by law to allow me ) but the contract manager has said because i start at 10am try to get the interview before then or even come to work and then go later for the interview, i won't repeat what i was thinking at the time.      :censored:

I am going to retire whatever the outcome and yes more time to work on the layout, i am surely missing working on it everyday like i used to before.  :(

daffy

Rod, the company may be following the rules but I would strongly urge you to see someone like Citizens Advice just to make sure.  Give them all the facts and they will check that all is above board, or not. From what you are saying it does seem that the company is not exactly sure of its responsibilities when it comes to redundancy and payment in lieu of notice.

It all depends on your employment contract with them, that is, what notice they legally have to give you. I suggest you don't go into contract details here, but with the Citizens Advice people because they will be better placed to give best advice. However, keep posting developments and worries here so we can all keep supporting you.

By getting independent advice you will at least have the knowledge that you made sure you looked after Number One.

It might help you sleep once the uncertainties are more clearly understood.

Take care.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Fardap

Totally agree with Daffy don't just believe what they are telling you get independent advice Citizens Advice will know or put you in touch with someone who does.

Regarding the interviews, they cannot dictate to you when you take the interviews, you are also eligible to take training courses during that time, re-training/learning, again CAB will know all this and advise accordingly.

Good luck, whatever your eventual plans make sure you get everything you are owed out of it.

Yet_Another

I absolutely agree with this. Definitely get some independent advice, because having recently been through redundancy myself, my experience doesn't tally with what you're being told.
Tony

'...things are not done by those who sit down to count the cost of every thought and act.' - Sir Daniel Gooch of IKB

Nick

Hi Rod,

First, every sympathy for your situation - redundancy is not a pleasant process to be caught up in. I've been through it too many times - on both sides of the fence, as an employee, as a manager (more than once) and as a husband and as a parent. It's always a horribly difficult situation which is extremely hard to handle because of the emotions flowing around.

I'm a chartered accountant, not an HR professional, so I can't give you professional advice as such on this.  But daffy is absolutely right - CAB will be able to help you, or a trade union rep, or, ideally, a friendly HR manager if you or any of your family or friends know one. They can talk to your specific financial circumstances, contracts, rights, etc.

If you don't want to seek out one of these, I strongly recommend reading these pages on  gov.uk. They may answer your questions, point you in a helpful direction, or even set your mind at rest that you aren't being mistreated. Even if they just prepare you for a face-to-face chat they will be helpful.

It's impossible for me to know exactly, but FWIW this is my take on the issues that you have flagged up:

• giving 30 days notice is not part of the legal rules, so I assume that it is the minimum notice period in your contract of employment. But, since you have worked in your job for over 2 years, you are legally entitled to more: one week for each year of service (to a maximum of 12 weeks). It sounds like someone didn't realise the details of your situation at first, which isn't ideal, to say the least. IMHO, it's inexcusable. :veryangry:
  • Many companies, perhaps most, don't actually require people to work this notice period out - they pay a PILON (Payment in Lieu of Notice) and release you, taking the view that long-faced employees hanging on with  their hearts not in the job are no help to anyone, and in certain circumstances can be actively damaging/dangerous. Yours isn't taking that route. But since they would probably prefer not to pay you, and you apparently would have preferred to go earlier, there may be room for a little give and take over this. But, but, but - take specific advice on the knock-on consequences if you go down that route.
  • you are entitled to "reasonable" time off for job hunting. But my understanding is that you are only entitled to be paid for a small amount of it. If you are on a five-day week, that is for just two days in total (40% of a week)  So if you took a day off each week for the 10 week period, you could be docked 8 days' pay (10 days - 2 days). Although he or she may have put it with all the tact of a runaway elephant, your contract manager may have been doing you a favour with their advice - if you go for interviews outside work time, you won't be docked pay.
Best of luck - this phase of tension, distrust and uncertainty over dates, entitlements and plans is the worst part emotionally speaking for most people, mainly because of the sense of not being in control of your life. It will pass, and you will emerge into the sunlit uplands of endless railway modelling...  :)
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

jonclox

Back at the biginninng of Feb. my wife slipped on the back path and ended up on her b*m  :(
She eventually got back indoors and came upstairs in tears of agony.
After a week of taking painkillers she eventually  drove  :doh: to the GPs.
Still taking prescribed tablets she is no better and still in agony if she tries to drive.
I think I shall have to call the doctor out to see her after the weekend
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

Malc

Quote from: jonclox on February 24, 2017, 03:52:16 PM
Back at the biginninng of Feb. my wife slipped on the back path and ended up on her b*m  :(
She eventually got back indoors and came upstairs in tears of agony.
After a week of taking painkillers she eventually  drove  :doh: to the GPs.
Still taking prescribed tablets she is no better and still in agony if she tries to drive.
I think I shall have to call the doctor out to see her after the weekend
Worth trying an osteopath, Jon. I've not had much luck with GPs with my back. The osteopath has sorted me out a few times.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

jonclox

Quote from: Malc on February 24, 2017, 05:50:27 PM

Worth trying an osteopath, Jon. I've not had much luck with GPs with my back. The osteopath has sorted me out a few times.
Thanks Malc but as even getting in and out of a car is agony  Driving or even being a passenger in a car  is not going to be easy.
Ive just found one within 2 miles of us and will contact them on Monday
John A GOM personified
N Gauge can seriously damage your wealth.
Never force things. Just use a bigger hammer
Electronically and spelling dyslexic 
Ruleoneshire
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17646.0
Re: Grainge & Hodder baseboards
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29659.0

daffy

Jon, if the pain is that bad I suggest A&E as soon as possible. Did the GP have the injury X-rayed? It could just be a trapped nerve or disc, but it might equally well be a fracture, and two days agony to wait for someone who might not be able to help will seem like a lifetime to your wife.

I would call an ambulance now if I were you if you have no other way of getting her to hospital. She should not drive herself.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Mito

+1 to above. There is no point in suffering any longer than is necessary.
M y wife suffers too from reduction in lung capacity, a non specified lung disease. I don't know what it's called in English. She has been in hospital for a week for an op and strangely during that time she has used no oxygen nor taken any cortisone. Normally she has 2 to 3 hours a day on oxygen and a quarter to half a tablet of cortisone. I'm not suggesting you have an op :no: . I can give you details of the medications she has if you are interested. The latest have certainly improved her capacity.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Steamie+

Quote from: Nick on February 24, 2017, 11:12:59 AM
Hi Rod,

First, every sympathy for your situation - redundancy is not a pleasant process to be caught up in. I've been through it too many times - on both sides of the fence, as an employee, as a manager (more than once) and as a husband and as a parent. It's always a horribly difficult situation which is extremely hard to handle because of the emotions flowing around.

I'm a chartered accountant, not an HR professional, so I can't give you professional advice as such on this.  But daffy is absolutely right - CAB will be able to help you, or a trade union rep, or, ideally, a friendly HR manager if you or any of your family or friends know one. They can talk to your specific financial circumstances, contracts, rights, etc.

If you don't want to seek out one of these, I strongly recommend reading these pages on  gov.uk. They may answer your questions, point you in a helpful direction, or even set your mind at rest that you aren't being mistreated. Even if they just prepare you for a face-to-face chat they will be helpful.

It's impossible for me to know exactly, but FWIW this is my take on the issues that you have flagged up:

• giving 30 days notice is not part of the legal rules, so I assume that it is the minimum notice period in your contract of employment. But, since you have worked in your job for over 2 years, you are legally entitled to more: one week for each year of service (to a maximum of 12 weeks). It sounds like someone didn't realise the details of your situation at first, which isn't ideal, to say the least. IMHO, it's inexcusable. :veryangry:
  • Many companies, perhaps most, don't actually require people to work this notice period out - they pay a PILON (Payment in Lieu of Notice) and release you, taking the view that long-faced employees hanging on with  their hearts not in the job are no help to anyone, and in certain circumstances can be actively damaging/dangerous. Yours isn't taking that route. But since they would probably prefer not to pay you, and you apparently would have preferred to go earlier, there may be room for a little give and take over this. But, but, but - take specific advice on the knock-on consequences if you go down that route.
  • you are entitled to "reasonable" time off for job hunting. But my understanding is that you are only entitled to be paid for a small amount of it. If you are on a five-day week, that is for just two days in total (40% of a week)  So if you took a day off each week for the 10 week period, you could be docked 8 days' pay (10 days - 2 days). Although he or she may have put it with all the tact of a runaway elephant, your contract manager may have been doing you a favour with their advice - if you go for interviews outside work time, you won't be docked pay.
Best of luck - this phase of tension, distrust and uncertainty over dates, entitlements and plans is the worst part emotionally speaking for most people, mainly because of the sense of not being in control of your life. It will pass, and you will emerge into the sunlit uplands of endless railway modelling...  :)

Firstly Thank You so much for your reply Nick, it is very encouraging to get so much friendly helpful advice. There was mention of PILON, but they weren't very clear about what or how it would be implemented i.e. If i would need to work it / how much i would paid and it may reduce my redundancy payment, how it wasn't explained clearly to me. They kept on saying did i understand what was being said, all i could think at the time what are they saying to me, (its you said 30 days notice and now 10 weeks and i may not get what we mention in our 1st meeting) my head was all over the place.

2nd i asked do i have to take a position they may find for me that i feel is not suitable, (at the pst meeting the HR person said "No if you don't feel like it is for you, you don't have to" then in my 2nd meeting so turned around and said yes you do other wise i would lose any right to redundancy pay. It really does seem has they don't won't to pay me at all and what me to work my notice. Is it true that they only have until the end of the notice when they 1st said i was in danger of being made redundant which is 30 days and will end on the 15th of March, they have until then to try to find me a suitable position within company.

Thanks again for your help Nick

Rod.

Nick

Quote from: Steamie+ on February 26, 2017, 06:40:13 AM

Firstly Thank You so much for your reply Nick, it is very encouraging to get so much friendly helpful advice.

No worries. I've pm'ed you in reply, rather than post what turned into a long message into this thread.

All the best
Nick
Nick

The perfect is the enemy of the good - Voltaire

Calnefoxile

Quote from: jonclox on February 24, 2017, 08:59:22 PM
Thanks Malc but as even getting in and out of a car is agony  Driving or even being a passenger in a car  is not going to be easy.
Ive just found one within 2 miles of us and will contact them on Monday

Jon,

I suspect she may have damaged her Coccyx, right at the base of her spine, it's the remnants of 'our' tails.

My missus did pretty much the same and she was in agony for weeks, as they reckoned that she'd fractured it. There really is not much that can be done except strong painkillers and tea & sympathy.

Regards

Neal.

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations