Farish 08

Started by Paul B, September 05, 2015, 05:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul B

Hi all!

I am looking for some advice here please - I am sure that someone here can help me!

As well as a fairly recent interest in the railways of Poland, I have always been interested in, and been a collector in N gauge of, locos and rolling stock of the LNER. For something different, I quite like the look of the Parkwood models kit of the LNER / E.E. co J 35, 350 hp shunter -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Parkwood-Models-LNER-E-E-co-J-35-350-hp-shunter-body-shell-/171891246527?hash=item28058445bf

The e-bay listing says that this requires a Graham Farish Bachmann new style 08 shunter chassis. I am looking through e-bay (yes I know that other shops are available, but I am just researching at the moment) as well as the Farish website. The Farish website seems to list only three 08's at the moment (one out of stock and 2 available in 'Nov/Dec'...) These all start with the item number 371. Looking on e-bay, I can't find anything with the same numbers as those on the Farish site - but I can find others starting with the same 371 prefix, as well as others with different item numbers. Am I correct in assuming that those with the 371 prefix are the 'new style' locos that I am after?

Also, just in case anyone can save me time, does anyone know of any shops selling the 'new style' 08's for a reasonable price at the moment? I may well wait until TINGS next weekend to buy one (although, in recent years, big shows are rather bereft of good bargains!) but I just want to find out what is a 'reasonable' price for one in case I do find anything good at TINGS!

Thanks for any help anyone can give!
LNER and PKP fan in the home of the GWR!

johnlambert

Pretty sure anything with a 371-xxx number will be the new-style model.

I bought a cheap, new-style 08 from eHattons online but that was a couple of years ago and I bet they've all sold out now.

You might find a slightly imperfect Class 08 on the Graham Farish stand as they do sell 'not quite perfect' stock at reduced prices.  No guarantees what they'll have and no guarantee on the item itself plus you'll have to brave the scrum as there's always a mad (and undignified) scramble for bargains.  Well worth waiting and having a look if you're going anyway; you might find one with an imperfect body, which I guess would be ideal for your needs.

MikeDunn

An LNER man living in Swindon ... oh the horror  :doh:

But at least there's plenty of reminders that Gresley Was Right  :P  That may make up a touch for it  ::)

Good luck on your hunt, sounds interesting & I hope you keep us informed !

Paul B

Quote from: MikeDunn on September 05, 2015, 05:33:30 PM
An LNER man living in Swindon ... oh the horror  :doh:

Well I have only lived in Swindon for the last 5 years - before that I was an Essex boy who was born and bought up in the East End of London, so not too far from the Stratford works!

Paul B

Quote from: johnlambert on September 05, 2015, 05:28:31 PM
Pretty sure anything with a 371-xxx number will be the new-style model.

Thanks for that - gives me something to look for!

Quote from: johnlambert on September 05, 2015, 05:28:31 PMI bought a cheap, new-style 08 from eHattons online but that was a couple of years ago and I bet they've all sold out now.

Just having a quick look there, it seems that the cheapest they have at the moment is £65 - will have to keep looking...

Quote from: johnlambert on September 05, 2015, 05:28:31 PMYou might find a slightly imperfect Class 08 on the Graham Farish stand as they do sell 'not quite perfect' stock at reduced prices.  No guarantees what they'll have and no guarantee on the item itself plus you'll have to brave the scrum as there's always a mad (and undignified) scramble for bargains.  Well worth waiting and having a look if you're going anyway; you might find one with an imperfect body, which I guess would be ideal for your needs.

That is what I am hoping - will see what is available! I couldn't care less what the body or the box is like, as long as the chassis is in good nick!  :)

scruff

Take a look here at the Bachmann class 08. it gives a full list of all that have been produced.

http://www.ngauge.org.uk/

Hope that helps a bit.
Cheers
Mark

Paul B

Quote from: scruff on September 05, 2015, 06:25:39 PM
Take a look here at the Bachmann class 08. it gives a full list of all that have been produced.

Hope that helps a bit.
Cheers
Mark

That helps more than a bit - it helps a great deal!  :thumbsup:

That site shows that the newer chassis was manufactured after 2008, and it looks like I am after those with model numbers 371-01x or -02x. Gives me something to look for at TINGS!

Newportnobby

Quote from: Paul B on September 05, 2015, 06:44:46 PM

Hope that helps a bit.
Cheers
Mark

That site shows that the newer chassis was manufactured after 2008, and it looks like I am after those with model numbers 373-01x or -02x. Gives me something to look for at TINGS!

My weathered outside crank 08 is ref 371-022 so I don't think anything beginning 373 would be right. Is that a typo? :confused2:

Paul B

Quote from: newportnobby on September 05, 2015, 09:37:49 PM
Quote from: Paul B on September 05, 2015, 06:44:46 PM

Hope that helps a bit.
Cheers
Mark

That site shows that the newer chassis was manufactured after 2008, and it looks like I am after those with model numbers 373-01x or -02x. Gives me something to look for at TINGS!

My weathered outside crank 08 is ref 371-022 so I don't think anything beginning 373 would be right. Is that a typo? :confused2:

Oops - yes, these dyslexic fingers are playing up again!  :-[ have corrected it - thanks for pointing it out!

Paul B

Well, with thanks to Mark (Scruff) and his link to the N Gauge Resource page, I found my donor model at TINGS - this was on the Cheltenham Models stand, and had been split from a set, and was only £60 brand new! I hadn't been able to find one online for cheaper, so this one came home with me.

You can see it pictures with the Parkwood Models body for the J45. The instructions with this seem to make it sound quite easy so I will keep this thread updated with my progress! The chassis was test run on the Swindon MRC's big N Gauge layout, and seems to run fine.

Just so people know what it should look like at the end, here is a pic from the National Rail Museum's site -

http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=Doncaster&objid=1997-7396_DON_44_120
© National Railway Museum and SSPL

cmason

Hi,

Desirous of an LNER diesel shunter I recently acquired a Parkwood J45 body kit and and a Farish 08 ( 371-015B which is what I believe to be the requisite "new model" chassis ) however when I try to bring the two together the fit seems completely wrong.

Wondering how others have fared with this?

I have studies the links posted here but remain confused. Has there been more than one "new" ( i.e. Post-Farish design ) chassis?

Cheers,

Colin.

scruff

Be careful with the latest models Colin.
They retooled the 08 recently to include DCC and sound and I'm not sure if that would cause the problem you have got.
Good luck with the kit.

Cheers
Mark

ntpntpntp

Hattons reckons that one 371-015B is 2008 tooling so if they're correct it's the outside frame tooling (not the ancient inside frame chassis) but predates the latest DCC sound version

https://www.hattons.co.uk/61087/graham_farish_371_015b_class_08_shunter_08856_in_br_blue_with_wasp_stripes/stockdetail
Nick.   2021 celebrating the 25th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

cmason

Thanks Both,
what you wrote is what I understood to be the case which is what is confusing me - definitely the outside frame version and not the very latest DCC and Sound version. So I do not know what the issue is with the fit. Will have another go later today,
Colin.

Bob G

I have made a couple of the Parkwood Maunsell SR shunters and they fit fine.
You have to line up two main elements. The crank guides, and the chassis itself.

First get the chassis the correct way round. It obviously doesnt fit if you have turned it 180 degrees.
Then you have to make sure the cranks fit in the guides.
Finally you have to make sure the chassis locates into the body moulding. It is usually the last bit of the chassis that might need some of the resin kit filing back to let it fit.

HTH
Bob

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations