Google Chrome

Started by Papyrus, November 17, 2014, 11:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papyrus

Hello good people,

As I got some excellent advice from you when I wanted to get rid of 'Smartbar', can I run a new problem past you, please?

A couple of weeks ago Google Chrome suddenly crashed on my laptop after having worked without incident for a year or more. I tried the usual things - rebooting, running anti-malware, exorcism etc, but nothing made any difference. I tried the 'Chrome help' pages (I'm back on dear old IE again, by the way) but none of their suggestions worked. In the end, I uninstalled it completely and tried to download it again, but it won't download at all. I can only assume some vital file is missing or corrupt. Anybody got any ideas?

My laptop runs on Vista. And, yes, I know a lot of people are Firefox fans, but I've tried it and it seems a lot slower than Chrome.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Jack

I can't really answer your problem but only to say that I've used Chrome for many years but over the last month or so I too have had problems. Normally I can sort such problems out but not this time. I can only think that something has changed in a recent Chrome software upgrade.

I had real problems on SWMBO's netbook in a way that she couldn't view videos on some sites. I've sinced caved in an installed firefox on both her's and my laptop and all the problems that I was getting have all gone!!

Just a thought for what it's worth.....       :firefox: Do I like firefox? the jury's is still out.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Papyrus

Hello Jack,

Thanks for the reply.

Out of curiosity, is yours an HP machine? I did some internet-mining and eventually found this thread:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/q5wS3awLWpk

I did as they suggested and... success!! I now have Chrome back.

If you have an HP machine, I recommend it.

Cheers,

Chris

scotsoft

It is great to hear you have found a fix for your problem with Chrome and thank you for posting the link so it may help others  :NGaugersRule:

cheers John.

Jack

One of them is a HP unit, the other is a Toshiba. SWMBO unit is the HP and having spent so much time sorting it out and then re teaching her how to find things in Firefox, (IT for her is like a Dark Art!!  ::)  ), I'm inclined to leave along, but thanks for the heads up on the Chrome page.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £50.23
Below Goal: £49.77
Site Currency: GBP
50% 
April Donations