Polystyrene and IPA worry

Started by weave, December 02, 2014, 09:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weave

Hi all,

Just read about this problem from an answer from Bealman and he mentioned another post (think Sprintex's) but can't find the bit about it.

Thought I would ask separately as maybe slightly different.

A few months back I bought a ready made single oval of track (4'x2') with half detailed scenery as something to work off as was getting frustrated with progress.

The bit I'm doing is usual ply and cork and kato track but the scenic oval is peco track on foam ballast on a polystyrene base.

It's linked to the Kato after coming out of 2 tunnels on each side which have no access. Not my work!

Bought a Sharge track cleaner, which I haven't used yet, and wondered if that would be OK to use as just pads and if not, what can I do beside cut access holes and use a track rubber  :(

Sorry for longwindedness.

Cheers weave

railsquid

Quote from: weave on December 02, 2014, 09:37:40 AM
Hi all,

Just read about this problem from an answer from Bealman and he mentioned another post (think Sprintex's) but can't find the bit about it.

this one I think.

Bealman

Basically it's a matter of keeping the track level, without sudden edges or lips, and keeping the IPA away from polystyrene.  The situation you describe seems like both are possible.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

railsquid

Does IPA have a similar effect on styrofoam? I'm considering adding a layer to my baseboard so I can sculpt some exciting features like rivers, mystery sinkholes etc. Mind you the track is Unitrack so no underlay involved per-se and there'll be scenery'n'stuff on top of the  styrofoam (as early as 2020 I hope) so the risk of direct contact will be minimal.

Luke Piewalker

As long as there aren't puddles of it you should be ok. As long as the unit is moving it should just be depositing a thin film which should evaporate quickly.

Malc

I have a Sharge cleaner and it doesn't drip onto the track, as long as you don't open the valve fully. Even then it is unlikely to drip. I use unitrack and haven't noticed any pools of IPA.
The years have been good to me, it was the weekends that did the damage.

weave

Thanks guys,

Feel a lot better now.

Only 2 thirds of the loop is now original so I can seal, ballast and scene round the Kato third on the plain half.

Unfortunately I don't know how the guy laid the foam ballast and the seller didn't build it but presume it's stuck down and it has grass etc up to the edges although the back bit I removed was only pinned. Would the IPA affect foam ballast? Not sure which make.

As I said haven't used the track cleaning wagon yet as forgot to buy the IPA with it  :doh: but it says not to soak the pads so I'll proceed very sparingly and see how it goes.

The track is level.

Thanks again.

Any more input always welcome.

weave

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £100.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £10.67
Below Goal: £89.33
Site Currency: GBP
 11%
May Donations