403 Error

Started by dannyboy, July 25, 2018, 10:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboy

You don't have permission to access /SMFN/index.php on this server.

I am trying to post a topic and am getting the above message - any body help?

David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with them.

mickster04

@Tank ?

But also, can you try using a private browsing window to eliminate it being your browser?
(in chrome ctrl+shift+n)

dannyboy

I will try that, but why could I post the OP and not another?  (The one I originally wanted to post)???
David.

dannyboy

Tried the private browsing - no joy. Yet if you can read this, I can post some messages!  ??? :confused2:
David.

mickster04

Quote from: dannyboy on July 25, 2018, 10:20:34 PM
Tried the private browsing - no joy. Yet if you can read this, I can post some messages!  ??? :confused2:

SO can you be really specific about where you cannot post. 403 is a forbidden message. suggesting you don't have permission to do what you're trying to do according to the server. maybe the thread you are trying to comment on has been locked, or is mod only or something...?

dannyboy

Not really, these posts are in 'Computer Help', which is where I am trying to post the 'forbidden' post! I've had enough - I'm going to bed now and will check for further replies in the morning.  Thanks for trying.  :)
David.

dannyboy

This is the post I am trying to post, with the subject header 'Windows Update Problem - 'Access Violation' -

I use 'Big Fish Games' a lot, mainly for SWMBO, but today I got an 'Access Violation' message. To cut a long, (about 5 hours), story short. I eventually realised it was a Windows update problem. I uninstalled the update and, lo and behold, the games work again. How to stop the update coming back I asked myself. I know there is a way by telling the computer it is on a metered connection, but came across the following tip –

1.   Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: services.msc and press enter.
2.   From the Services list which appears find the Windows Update service and open it.
3.   In 'Startup Type' (under the 'General' tab) change it to 'Disabled'
4.   Restart.

I realise that some of you will know about this, but I didn't, so, in case there is anybody else in the same boat as me, I thought I would post the info'.

So can anyone tell me why I can add the contents of my original post to this thread, but I can not post it as a new post?  ???
David.

njee20

I kept getting this message on the Tour de France topic a couple of weeks ago, seemed to be a link I was included which it didn't like. Very odd.

dannyboy

Quote from: njee20 on July 26, 2018, 08:43:33 AM
I kept getting this message on the Tour de France topic a couple of weeks ago, seemed to be a link I was included which it didn't like. Very odd.

Thank goodness for that! I was wondering what on earth I was doing wrong.  :thumbsup:
David.

Bealman

I've had a couple of those errors too. Usually on my phone. I usually just reload the forum and all is well.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

dannyboy

Tried that - :no:. I have copied the text in italics from my post above and pasted into a new topic - still no go!
David.

njee20

Yep, there was nothing I could do to get it to post when I was trying, I tried a different device and it still rejected it. Can't even remember the link now, but that was clearly the cause of the issue.

Bealman

We're looking at it, folks.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Tank

Is anyone still having issues? :uneasy:

njee20

Well I had one issue with a specific link which clearly the forum was rejecting (wasn't anything sinister), but haven't since.

Can't speak for dannyboy obviously!

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £82.34
Below Goal: £17.66
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
March Donations