Maximum incline?

Started by Raymond, February 10, 2014, 07:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raymond

Thanks Babs,

I did a search but couldn't find it.
I like sitting in my hottub with a beer or two......

ScottyStitch

Quote from: Raymond on February 10, 2014, 08:56:58 PM
Quote from: Geoff on February 10, 2014, 08:46:37 PM
Raymond just do a test and see what you can get away with, always best to test rather tan disappoint yourself later when you have tied it all down.

Cheers Geoff,

I can have a run up of 1.90M if I start on the other side of the board and start the incline there. I don't want it to look out of place but I think I can only reach up to about 60mm on 4%

I'll cut some bits of wood in the workshop tomorrow and see if I can set something up to test.

I'm limited to a space of 1M+ x 2M+ as it is going to be living in my small home office...

Hi Raymond,

from my own experience, the only way to be completely sure is to try it out with the motive power and load that you intend to haul. I think I will settle on 1 in 100 (1%) because I am pulling ten coach trains with some steam engines that don't offer great traction on an incline. You may (probably will) get away with steeper inclines with a small (relatively heavy) 0-4-0.

My advice, like many others have stated already,  is to try it first. Find out your absolute maximum incline that you'll get away with, and then decrease the slope slightly when you come to build it permanently. This gives you some wriggle room.

Hope that helps.

Scotty

Raymond

Cheers Scotty,

I've set it up 'professionally' on kids Duplo this morning….  ;D

I don't think the incline is too bad. I can't get away with a longer run as there's track going to run round it.

The red pen shows where the incline is going to start now and the black one where the unloader is.

No idea where all the hoppers have gone but I put a couple of passenger coaches up front plus one hopper and it seems to cope with it fine. There won't be more than 6- hoppers on front as the run off after the hopper unloader is only 444mm.

ScottyStitch

Hi Raymond,

That's the way, just make sure your incline is a smooth constant slope with no dips or peaks. I'd suggest you weigh the load you pushed up the incline and compare that with the weight of your 6 wagons. The quality of the 'bearings' on the wheels makes a difference as well (ask me how I know!!) so watch out for that as well.

Scotty.

Raymond

Thanks Scotty,

I'm in no position to start building/track laying yet, I just like to have it all drawn up ready to go for when I rearrange my home office to make space.

Thanks again for your help.

Ray

Tdm

I started building my 1st N gauge layout last September which included and up and over run with the higher track just clearing the top of rolling stock running on the lower track below it.
Don't know the gradient or exact height but different train combinations climb the slope fine without slipping  although there is a noticeable difference in engine speed and sound as they go up and then come down again. The layout has since been improved and modified with more track & scenery but the up and over section remains. I did an early (not particularly good) video of it before alteration and this shows a number of different train combinations using the figure of 8 loop. Take a look - May or may not help you decide on the elevation of yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FkR7EwkQULw 

Raymond

Cheers Terry,

I 'think' it's kind of sorted now… famous last words….

Hope you're enjoying the weather. 27ºC last Friday in Corralejo. (At least that's what one of them signs near the beach said) Back home now in sleet and rain and a lovely temperature of 3ºC…..  :thumbsdown:

Babz

High Terry, I really like your layout which I watched on you tube, a lot happening all the time thank you for sharing :thankyousign: :thankyousign:
Babs

Tdm

Quote from: Babz on February 11, 2014, 08:28:31 PM
High Terry, I really like your layout which I watched on you tube, a lot happening all the time thank you for sharing :thankyousign: :thankyousign:
Babs

Thanks for that - will make a new (hopefully better) video when I have finished the current changes I am making. Watch this space.

Raymond

A bit more planning done (head scratching)

As I'm very limited with space I thought of having a 1 flight helix instead which should get me about 65mm I recon. It'll all be covered by a mountain / tunnel eventually btw.

The red thing is the hopper loader/unloader and the shortest outlined track should be able to hold 6 hoppers on past the unloader.

Any thoughts?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £40.23
Below Goal: £59.77
Site Currency: GBP
40% 
April Donations