Which is the easiest card building for a beginner.

Started by monkey, March 24, 2013, 01:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawrence

Quote from: Oldman on March 25, 2013, 01:00:59 PM
Cheers Lawrence.
Jazzy will get hers done probably before I try again.

I know what I want to do but don't know how on the limited budget available.
The main problem is suitable loco chassis and then trying to fit Microtrains z gauge couplings to the required rolling stock. Could be a lot of scratch building.

Well I do believe you have someone close to hand who probably has dainty little fingers and could help with that  ;) Then you can do some scratch build tutorials with Jazzy to give her a break from building kits  :D

Pengi

Another option would be to use a Sankei kit. All the parts are cut out. Most of the buildings are Japanese outline but there are a few that could be used on UK rural layouts.

An example is this Water Mill

There is a technique to putting these kits together so it is probably worth starting with something like this barn before doing the Water Mill

HobbyLinkJapan have put together this guide for building the kits. The example given is the Water Mill
Just one Pendolino, give it to me, a beautiful train, from Italy

longbridge

Having built card kits from most if not all suppliers I have to say for simplicity the hands down winner is Wordsworth Kits, they are free and require very little work to construct, they can also be modified for those that like super details.

http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk/
Keep on Smiling
Dave.

Jerry Howlett

Fair enough but they are the other gauge so need to be reduced in size to start with. I couldn't do that with my last printer.
I have used one as part of a backscene but find them rather "flat" in appearance however I am becoming a nit picking old g** nowadays.
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

scotsoft

Quote from: Jerry Howlett on March 27, 2013, 10:19:58 AM
Fair enough but they are the other gauge so need to be reduced in size to start with. I couldn't do that with my last printer.
I have used one as part of a backscene but find them rather "flat" in appearance however I am becoming a nit picking old g** nowadays.

What do you mean "becoming" Jerry  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:  :smiley-laughing:

Jerry Howlett

:laughabovepost: Fair enough.

Just looking back through a variety of Kits. The Scalescenes Low Relief High street backs are well worth a shot. As usual if you don't fancy doing the tiled roof effect you can simply print the roofing sheet and cut to size to fit the whole roof.   Also if you find cutting out the window frames difficult/ fiddly there is a printable option supplied for the windows.

I got carried away with these and created full buildings but they are an interesting mix of buildings and styles.

In this pic only the half timbered version has been combined with a front half.

A couple of modified versions.

This Scalescenes waiting shelter is what I started with. It has few parts and is relatively quick to assemble. It should take about an hour or two to print and build using 270gsm card and normal printer paper.

A picture of the finished thing is at the bottom of the page here.

Oldman

I have that shelter on one of my shoebox modules, and Jazzy does not want it.
It is the perfect starter for anyone else trying Scalecenes  for the first time.
Will be getting her to look at the Wordsworth ones as I can reduce the size on my printer.
She has also watched me building Sankei kits and said they are too fiddly.
Downloads seem the way to go, then at least I can just reprint them if it all goes wrong.
On a side note -has anyone had any problems with the Scalescenes Pub?

Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Jerry Howlett

Is that the Country pub or the one that comes as part of the corner shops ?

scotsoft

I don't think they come much simpler than this telephone box done by scary-bob one of out members.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=966.msg91490#msg91490

cheers John.

Oldman

Sorry Jerry,
The Country Pub.

John her layout is steam powered so a touch to modern, she was going tospend some of her pocket money and get what I call the traditional phone boxes ready made in plastic.
Modelling stupid small scale using T gauge track and IDl induction track. Still have  N gauge but not the space( Japanese Trams) Excuse spelling errors please, posting on mobile phone

Jerry Howlett

Mike,
I made the country pub a while back, I don't remember much nowadays any particular problem but could go and look at it again. Where are/were you having probs ?.

Additional question with the Wordsworth kits what % do you reduce them by. I quite fancy doing the "Butter cross" Market but tried it at 54% but seemed far too big.

Jerry

Oldman

Not bought it yet, but thinking might have a go.
Just bought the arched bridge kit for Jazzy.

Have not tried that Wordsworth one yet, Did build the small garage  -perfect for a  rural scene and from memory used 54% on my HP printer. What I found best was to  print it greyscale on a sheet of paper and then try a N gauge figure against it.
Saved wasting too much ink doing it in colour.

Jerry Howlett

Just found it and finished it.. Forgot the chimneys ,they are courtesy of "Bikeracer".

Behind it is a combination of Pub and half timbered shop from Scalescenes High Street.
Only fiddly bit are the windows which need cutting out individually.
Jerry

Karyn

When you stick the printed sheets to the thick card, what is the best glue?

Please Support Us!
April Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: £30.23
Below Goal: £69.77
Site Currency: GBP
30% 
April Donations